Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Getting Jake back up to speed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Getting Jake back up to speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 07:23 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
AUGH!

I stripped Jake down to the frame, and was putting ugga-dugga into the bottom bracket, and the ring broke. I pulled something in my side and wrenched my left elbow in the process.
I'm going to put my tools down for the night, and drop Jake off at my LBS tomorrow, as I really don't want to mess up the frame on this bike, of all bikes.
When removing, I always try backing off the metal cup first. The plastic gets brittle/weak.
Rig up something similar to the pic below to retain the tool.

Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-29-20, 11:36 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
We got it, with some extreme leverage. An impact gun only tore out the rest of the teeth, so it took two of us, a breaker bar, and a long pipe to finally break the drive side loose.
Good thing this is a stout 'cross frame, and I made sure to spread the load as much as I could while we kronked on it.

So... much better mood now. I told my wife, after we got home from a dinner out, that I was just going to clear out the plastic side tonight and come upstairs.
I did that, then I went ahead and cleaned up the BB shell, installed the new BB and Tiagra triple front.
...then I bolted on the new rear derailleur...and the front...
...put the fork back on, cuz I didn't want the headset bearings just sitting out, ya know.
...Since I was mounting the fork, I had to bolt on the stem, and went ahead and put the new dirt drops on...
...and the brifters, one of which had been shipped without a clamp, so I 'borrowed' one from the previous set. Not exactly right, but it worked. I just ordered a new one.
...then I dug through my old airplane tools to find an appropriate drill bit, then widened the hole on the back of my Ritchey fork, so I could mount my cable hanger and start using cantis again.
Jake's a canti bike. While the mini-v brakes worked fine and were quiet, I like the versatility of these, and since I'm not running discs...

I was about to pick up the chain when my lovely wife asked me if I was spending the night down there.
Old 12-30-20, 06:43 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
AUGH!

I stripped Jake down to the frame, and was putting ugga-dugga into the bottom bracket, and the ring broke. I pulled something in my side and wrenched my left elbow in the process.
I'm going to put my tools down for the night, and drop Jake off at my LBS tomorrow, as I really don't want to mess up the frame on this bike, of all bikes.
Ah, the joys of working on older bikes
Old 01-09-21, 09:48 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Well, that last issue being solved...

I installed the new Tiagra 4700 group, and everything looked fine, until I put in the cables. The front derailleur won't physically move out far enough to use the big ring.
derailleur position, angle, cable tension, etc... nothing seemed to help, including the limiter screws.
This being a 2k cross bike, I wonder if there's an issue with the frame arrangement, requiring a mtb derailleur for a triple front.

I'm starting to feel a bit spent, not having the shop around me, along with the tools and spares that were so handy. Feeling a bit down as well, as it seems that every time I get to where I'm about to get something accomplished, I'm facing having to spend too much on whatever bits I need to do anything, and hoping it works after all that.
I have no local community, no cycling friends, and just kinda feeling like hanging up my apron, and Jake.

Old 01-10-21, 11:29 AM
velojym

All right. I wasn't in a great place last night.

This morning, after a good night's sleep, I went to the basement with a big mug of iced tea, and went over my options. I didn't want to get into a never-ending quest for the next magic part, for a gear range I never use on this bike anyway. So, I stripped Jake back down, removed the Tiagra 'quip, and went back to the 105/XT/FSA rig from before. I did clean and lube the mechs before re-mounting them. New chain, cassette, and the crankset is already a new one, with only maybe a hundred miles on it if even that.
I set the mini-v brakes aside, and with the help of a fork crown mounted hanger, bolted the Tektro 720s back on.
The Sora shifters went back on, to go with the 2x9 setup it's already been proven to work with.
FSA adventure bar, 46cm with a bit of flare, but not too much, Lizard Skins 2.5mm bar tape.

I think we're good for now. The Tiagra group will start to work its way onto the Montague Fit it was originally purchased for.

Old 01-11-21, 07:37 PM
velojym

So, though I'm not feeling great right now, I have this ongoing goal to do "one" bike thing every day, even if something simple.
When I mounted the Tiagra group on the Fit, I found the same issue on that bike too, crankset was apparently sitting too far out for the derailleur to do anything with the big ring.
I pulled the crank off and went through it part by part, as there were no BB spacers included. Inside, up against the spider looking like a dust seal, was what appeared to be a spacer. At least, it was acting as a spacer, preventing the crank from bottoming on the BB.
I pulled it out, and found the SLX derailleur looks to reach everything well now. Though... now the crank was a little loose. A 2.5mm spacer from an old BB in my parts pile, and now it's tight and spinning nicely. I was half tempted to strip Jake down yet again, and move this stuff back over... but nah. I have a 34/34 low gear on Jake right now, and going to a 30/32 just doesn't seem like enough of a drop to justify yet another complete stripdown. The Fit can keep these parts.
The SLX derailleur just happened to be at hand, as the clamp on the included mech is too small for this frame. If this one is problematic, I'm ok with finding a 'proper' one. But, finding a top pull road derailleur is a pain, so I'm crossing my fingers on this one.
Old 01-12-21, 05:53 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts

I'm starting to feel a bit spent, not having the shop around me, along with the tools and spares that were so handy. Feeling a bit down as well, as it seems that every time I get to where I'm about to get something accomplished, I'm facing having to spend too much on whatever bits I need to do anything, and hoping it works after all that.
I have no local community, no cycling friends, and just kinda feeling like hanging up my apron, and Jake.

Always remember that, with no local community and no cycling friends, you are always at least one step ahead of me - because I don't speak the local lingo either.

And you have an apron!

But still, wifie approves of me spending some time every day on my bikes: Tigger and Blue
Likes For Geepig:
Old 01-18-21, 06:28 PM
velojym

New Bike Day? Not exactly, but it sure feels like it, while still being Jake.
Between the wider bar, 32mm tires, and the C17 saddle, Jake felt great.
Though I've done a bunch of centuries, event, and club rides on this bike, I was on a Sell Italia Flite (which wasn't really a problem then) and 23mm Axial Pro tires. On Jake's stiff frame, on chip-n-seal, I didn't even realize how much more comfortable a bike could be. I later learned, but now Jake may well be my most comfortable bike, which is saying a lot considering my LHT.

Went for a 21+ mile ride for a shakedown. After a couple minor adjustments early on, we were looking good. One thing I'll be swapping, though, is the rear derailleur. After nearly 40,000 miles, the XT mech ain't what it used to be.

Likes For velojym:
Old 01-21-21, 08:36 PM
velojym

Being a 9 speed, I have relatively few choices for quality equipment. Yeah, I might still upgrade the drivetrain one day, but for now I just need something that works.

Found a new 9 speed Deore mech for Jake, which arrived today. It only took a few minutes to install and adjust.

#onebikething

Likes For velojym:
Old 01-23-21, 09:43 PM
velojym

Rear derailleur performed flawlessly today, and we managed to average 17.9 mph on my 20 miler. Sure, that ain't racin' speed, but not bad for me right now.
Now I'm looking at some gravel tires, which I'll mount on my Velocity Chukker wheels. I have an oddly broken spoke on the rear, busted right in the middle. Being a Chukker, that didn't even take it noticeably out of true, but I'm gonna get it replaced anyway.
A little helicopter tape on the downtube, and I'll see if I can make my way to some of the nearby gravel routes.

The tires are Panaracer Gravel King EXT 700x35. I'll likely get the most mileage on road rubber though.

Old 10-03-23, 01:17 PM
keylin1994

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love your Jake...beautiful
Old 10-03-23, 02:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by keylin1994
Just FYI you are finding loads of threads that have been dormant for a long time. I would look at new currently active threads to post in it will be a better way to go.
Welcome to the forums.
Old 10-09-23, 06:51 AM
velojym

Originally Posted by keylin1994
disregarding the peanut gallery, the OP appreciates your post.