Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bib Sizing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bib Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 03:52 PM
jgf310

Bikes: Roubaix and StumpJumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bib Sizing

So I needed new bibs, and because REI is really close, i went there where they mostly had Pearl Izumi - i tried on medium bibs in several models , which were pretty tight, so i tried on the large and ended up buying them

i am between 5'10" and 5'11", and today weighed about 168lbs - i am not overweight by most standards. i wear 32/32 pants.., and medium in nearly everything else

anyway, after two rides with the bibs.., i am forced to accept that even the large are tighter than is really comfortable.

am i supposed to buy XL? it seems crazy - they would be below my knees

i think the model is Elite in-R-Cool - i have older pairs of these and the medium still fit fine, but it seems like they are changing their sizing - none of the new mediums fit, and even Large is kind of tight

i know bike clothing is cut small, but XL?

anyway - my question: should i be looking at a different brand? who makes bibs that aren't cut so tiny?
Old 02-24-17, 04:04 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the size on the label. They're all over the place these days...

I have bibs in M, L & XL from different manufacturers.

Just buy what feels comfortable.

This is why I like buying in store from REI & PB. You can try them on, and later, if the fit is causing issues on the bike, you can return them.
Old 02-24-17, 04:07 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jgf310
So I needed new bibs, and because REI is really close, i went there where they mostly had Pearl Izumi - i tried on medium bibs in several models , which were pretty tight, so i tried on the large and ended up buying them

i am between 5'10" and 5'11", and today weighed about 168lbs - i am not overweight by most standards. i wear 32/32 pants.., and medium in nearly everything else

anyway, after two rides with the bibs.., i am forced to accept that even the large are tighter than is really comfortable.

i think the model is Elite in-R-Cool - i have older pairs of these and the medium still fit fine, but it seems like they are changing their sizing - none of the new mediums fit, and even Large is kind of tight

anyway - my question: should i be looking at a different brand? who makes bibs that aren't cut so tiny?
I'm 5/9.5, 167 and wear 32 jeans and wear large in all bibs (PI, LG, Bontrager, Champion, Giordana etc) with no problem. I've found bibs are fairly consistent in size between brands but jerseys can be all over the place. I have jerseys ranging from small to XL
Old 02-24-17, 04:13 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Bibs and shorts are cut differently. I wear PIs. I am quite north of your weight, not obese, certainly overweight. But some brands fit me better. Some high end shorts cut in on pedaling, others do not. I have to think this is the cut/material/my body. I have no easy answer.
Old 02-24-17, 04:38 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

The Pearl Izumi bibs are just cut a bit tight. Especially through the crotch. I am a similar size to you, 5'11, 160lb, 31x33 pant. According to the PI chart I would be in a Small! I have been using Elite-in-R-Cool in Medium and they fit well except for the crotch tightness. The solution to your problem would be to switch brands. I think all the other brands are more relaxed in the fit. You could take advantage REI's return policy if they are really very uncomfortable.
Old 02-24-17, 04:40 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Louis Garneau typically have the same PI sizing that conforms more to American Size. I'm surprised to hear about that with PI because I'm a size 32 on jeans and use SMALL size on PI bibs and Jerseys.

PI Sizing Chart
Old 02-24-17, 05:59 PM
howheels

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
Louis Garneau typically have the same PI sizing that conforms more to American Size. I'm surprised to hear about that with PI because I'm a size 32 on jeans and use SMALL size on PI bibs and Jerseys.

PI Sizing Chart
PI sizing chart has always treated me well. 5'7" 145, I fit squarely within their size S for both bibs and jerseys. Small/Medium on some of their PRO jerseys fits well too.
Old 02-24-17, 08:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Castelli is cut extremely small.

Try Performance Ultra SL. They have a generous American cut.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-24-17 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 08:56 PM
jgf310

Bikes: Roubaix and StumpJumper

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
well, according to the size chart - which i hadn't seen, i should have room to spare in the medium.., yet the large is too small

it seems like some of you think REI will take them back even though i wore them - i don't have the receipt anymore, but i'm a member, so they will have a record of it

maybe i'll give it a try

i don't really have a problem buying a larger size, say XL- except that they will be too long - the large is already a bit longer on me than is ideal

anyway, i'd like to find something that fits - 5'10.5 and 168lbs is a pretty average build i think

Last edited by jgf310; 02-24-17 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 09:03 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
it seems like some of you think REI will take them back even though i wore them - i don't have the receipt anymore, but i'm a member, so they will have a record of it
"If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase."

"Include required proof of purchase: store receipt, eReceipt, gift receipt, shipping invoice or member purchase history."

https://www.rei.com/help/return-policy.html