Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Serial Number Database

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Motobecane Serial Number Database

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 04:11 AM
Livefish

Bikes: Motobècanes: 1982 Profil 4, 1981 C7 ProLight, 1979 C5, 1979 C4, 1974 Le Champion, 1974 Trophy, 1971 Grand Record, 1975 Super Champion, 1983 Super Mirrage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Thanks for this. I can see you would be the person to speak to about this era Motobecane! Would you agree with my guess that a 72 or 73 might have nicer Huret derailleurs? The Campag on there now must be a replacement, as the stop position of the derailleur does not work well with the stop position on the Huret dropout.
Bargo68, the unusual stamped number is unlikely to be of much help. I'm afraid my knowledge of the Criterium model is pretty thin and surviving published materials from Motobècane for it are also scarce. This bike could possibly be from 1972-73 as you're thinking but I'm guessing perhaps a few years earlier. It clearly was equipped originally with a Huret Allvit groupset (very popular in the 60s) with the Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear mech added later. The components in your photos were all being used in the late '60s. A 1966 brochure shows the Criterium in Reynolds 531 (likely 3 main tubes), half chromed fork, Weinmann 999s with light hoods, tubular rims, etc. and with a Brooks B15 saddle. In the 1966 brochure it lists a TA crankset and Pivo stem so your bike might also be a year or two different.

Great bike. In what country did you find it?
Old 03-26-24, 08:48 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Livefish
Bargo68, the unusual stamped number is unlikely to be of much help. I'm afraid my knowledge of the Criterium model is pretty thin and surviving published materials from Motobècane for it are also scarce. This bike could possibly be from 1972-73 as you're thinking but I'm guessing perhaps a few years earlier. It clearly was equipped originally with a Huret Allvit groupset (very popular in the 60s) with the Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear mech added later. The components in your photos were all being used in the late '60s. A 1966 brochure shows the Criterium in Reynolds 531 (likely 3 main tubes), half chromed fork, Weinmann 999s with light hoods, tubular rims, etc. and with a Brooks B15 saddle. In the 1966 brochure it lists a TA crankset and Pivo stem so your bike might also be a year or two different.

Great bike. In what country did you find it?
Thanks for the help! Agreed, the information online is also very scarce. This is the one page that has really helped so far:

It is from a 1973 catalog and there are a few discrepancies between it and my bike: different crankset and brakes being the most notable. But it's the closest I've found to a match.
Oh well, let's just chalk it up to the wonderful mysteries of French bicycle production.
And I found the bike on Craigslist from a posting in Walnut Creek, a suburb in the bay area of California. Walnut Creek is the home of Rivendell bicycles, if you're familiar, and the gentleman who sold it to me had a pair of Rivendells and quite a few other nice items of local interest. He had a couple frames custom built in Japan and sold in a Berkeley store called Jitensha that were beautiful!
Old 03-26-24, 09:39 AM
DeathForks

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
I don't think the serial numbers have been decoded. They probably meant something to the factory workers, accountants and management and probably do contain something about the year and month the frame was made. Shame we don't have those records
But in any case, there's no harm in sharing nice images of nice bicycles and trying to figure out when they were made
Another serial number will be coming in shortly. Hopefully tomorrow, fingers crossed.

yep, the serial number on my Motobecane Mixte is......1750022 with a little Y33 after it at an angle. This is on the rear left dropout.

Pictures to follow when i post uh... 8 more posts i think!
Old 03-26-24, 04:30 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Thanks for the help! Agreed, the information online is also very scarce. This is the one page that has really helped so far:

It is from a 1973 catalog and there are a few discrepancies between it and my bike: different crankset and brakes being the most notable. But it's the closest I've found to a match.
Oh well, let's just chalk it up to the wonderful mysteries of French bicycle production.
And I found the bike on Craigslist from a posting in Walnut Creek, a suburb in the bay area of California. Walnut Creek is the home of Rivendell bicycles, if you're familiar, and the gentleman who sold it to me had a pair of Rivendells and quite a few other nice items of local interest. He had a couple frames custom built in Japan and sold in a Berkeley store called Jitensha that were beautiful!
It looks the saddle is original to the bicycle then. Not sure what they were thinking
I guess if you have Huret dropouts and Huret RD hanger, you might as well go Jubilee route. Here's a FD and here the rear one. This one is in the UK, but looks like it's for a Huret standard hanger and it's probably still cheaper than the cheapest one I've seen on eBay US. And looks decent. You could look for a late 70's model with Campagnolo adapter plate, D'Israeli gears mention it might work with an old Huret dropout after removing that plate and it may well be the case.
Plenty of Mafac Racers on eBay as well. Not sure if they are any better than Weinmann Veinqueur. Never used Racers, very happy with Vainqueurs. Mafac are probably lighter, but I also preferred the design of the Weinmann ones (I like the idea of recessed head of the centre bolt as well as shorter springs pressing against protrusions on the arms as opposed on the brake pad mounting nut).
Old 03-27-24, 10:16 AM
DeathForks

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have many sets of Mafac Racers, I can't really attest to how well they work, but i find they have a lot more adjustment to where you can put the pads, and they just have a really cool look to them. I'm saving a pair for a Peugeot PX-10 I'm building up now
Old 04-15-24, 11:14 PM
hdgurl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1978? Motobecane 27" frame

I have a black and red 27" frame Motobecane. I believe it to be a 1978 but could be a 1977. The serial number on the bottom between the pedals is 6182208 I believe.
Can you tell me anything about this bike based on the information I have given please?
Old 04-16-24, 02:58 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
1978 sounds about right. Have a look here as well: Motobecane Serial Number Database

There may be other codes, on the dropouts and the steerer, that may or may not reveal more information.