Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Simoncini Cyclocross Special

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-13, 08:42 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

What's made in Italy from Columbus tubing, lugged construction, Cantilever brakes, and has cable guides for the rear brake and rear derailleur along the top of the top-tube?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-31-13, 09:01 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
An Italian cyclocross frame. What do I win?
Old 10-31-13, 09:31 AM
Bikegeek1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A classic blue guerciotti cyclocross bike. EOT. Excpet for the pics.
Old 10-31-13, 09:53 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I name it... Sally.
Old 10-31-13, 10:12 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
An Italian cyclocross frame. What do I win?
Right now you would win some knobby Cyclocross tires that are too big for the chainstay clearance.

I'll give another hint, made in Tuscany (I think)
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-31-13, 10:17 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Simoncini
Old 10-31-13, 10:42 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
or Guerciotti. Is it blue or red? Can't see from work. I had a blue Guerciotti cross frame that did not have clearance for anything larger than 30mm IIRC.
Old 10-31-13, 10:43 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikegeek1968
A classic blue guerciotti cyclocross bike. EOT. Excpet for the pics.
D'oh! I should read the thread before I post! I pulled a Thompson!
Old 10-31-13, 10:44 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by gomango
Simoncini
Yes!

Bonus question. It has a 1" steerer, quill stem, and a horizontal top-tube. What year was it made?
Old 10-31-13, 11:01 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Yes!

Bonus question. It has a 1" steerer, quill stem, and a horizontal top-tube. What year was it made?

Pretty frameset.
Old 10-31-13, 12:09 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by gomango

Pretty frameset.
Yes, better than expected;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-25-14 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-31-13, 12:15 PM
gomango

Yes, better than expected;

Spectacular!
Old 10-31-13, 12:36 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Retro Cyclocross, an explanation;

Cyclocross racing is usually performed short (2.5–3.5 km or 1.5–2 mile) course featuring pavement, wooded trails, grass, steep hills and obstacles requiring the rider to quickly dismount, carry the bike while navigating the obstruction and remount. The history of Cyclocross racing is more than 100 years old.

Cyclocross bikes are typically differentiated from road-race bikes by their greater tire clearances, lower gearing, stronger frames, cantilever brakes and more upright riding position. Frame geometry is altered from other bikes: Chainstays are often 425 or 430mm long and the bottom bracket drop from the axle line is less than on road or touring bikes. Cyclocross bicycles have altered drivetrains, some are set up with a single chainring others use double cranksets. Bikes that use a double crankset, generally use a 36-46 or 46-38 gearing. Cable routing for the rear brake and the derailleurs are placed down the top side of the top tube. This allows the racer to shoulder the bike while running. Tires are regulated to be no larger than 35mm for some groups and no larger than 33mm for elite racers. Knobby tires are common.

Cyclocross bikes are also popular as Sports/Touring bikes and many models feature mounting braze-ons for fenders and racks. Cyclocross bikes fill a broad niche as versatile bikes for recreational use, training, commuting, credit-card touring and gravel path & gravel road use.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-31-13 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-31-13, 03:24 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Beautiful! Feel free to store it at my house over the winter
Old 10-31-13, 05:15 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Dayum Barrett, that's a great bike. Be sure to ride a lot this fall and may it be only the leaves that are falling
Old 10-31-13, 05:47 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Italuminium
Dayum Barrett, that's a great bike. Be sure to ride a lot this fall and may it be only the leaves that are falling
I've been practicing my falls recently, just ask Bibliobob!
Old 10-31-13, 05:59 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Very nice, interesting cable routing on that. Downswing FD with top mounted RD cables. Lucky guy.
Old 10-31-13, 06:13 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Very nice, interesting cable routing on that. Downswing FD with top mounted RD cables. Lucky guy.
Yes, most modern CX bikes have both derailleur cables across the top. See below;

This frame had a single cable stop on the left side where you might normally find a shifter braze-on. The BB shell also has a guide for the front derailleur cable. Putting downtube shifters on this bike is not an option.

Old 11-01-13, 06:04 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Yeah, almost like they realized that cross racers would go with a single chainring up front, and other riders would appreciate the ease and options of a downswing FD. Nice setup.
Old 11-02-13, 02:45 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

I took "little Simon" on a 40 mile ride on pavement today. It's a real race bike, with a stiff frame and quick steering. It's about as stiff as my Serotta Nova Special X which is built from Columbus SPX.

The ride is smooth and damp, perfect to my taste. Holding higher speeds is easy. The 48, 36 & 26 crankset is ideal for the 13-24 seven speed freewheel. I can stay in the 36t middle ring from any speed up to 22 mph. The 48 ring is useful for faster rides, a tailwind or a slope. The Suntour bar end shifter are easy to use. The Challenge tires roll fast and ride very smooth at 105psi rear and 95psi front.

The brakes are good-enough but not as good as my other CX bikes. Some fine tuning is needed. The fit needs some fine tuning, also.
Old 11-02-13, 02:50 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Beautiful! Feel free to store it at my house over the winter
Hah. I've got room for this bike as well. I like it.
Old 11-04-13, 08:14 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

I took "little Simon" on a 40 mile ride on pavement today. It's a real race bike, with a stiff frame and quick steering. It's about as stiff as my Serotta Nova Special X which is built from Columbus SPX.

The ride is smooth and damp, perfect to my taste. Holding higher speeds is easy. The 48, 36 & 26 crankset is ideal for the 13-24 seven speed freewheel. I can stay in the 36t middle ring from any speed up to 22 mph. The 48 ring is useful for faster rides, a tailwind or a slope. The Suntour bar end shifter are easy to use. The Challenge tires roll fast and ride very smooth at 105psi rear and 95psi front.

The brakes are good-enough but not as good as my other CX bikes. Some fine tuning is needed. The fit needs some fine tuning, also.
I'm working through two issues with this semi-vintage Cyclocross bike. Many Cyclocross bikes have front brake shudder issues. If the cable housing is hanging from a hanger mounted under the stem, the flex of the fork can add tension to the brake cable. This sets up a shudder in the fork that makes stopping very erratic.

Modern bikes can be outfitted with a cable housing hanger that is mounted on the crown of the fork. This eliminates the tug of the cable as the fork flexes. However, the 1997 Simoncini fork lacks a mounting location for a fork mounted hanger. I'm possibly going to switch to a mini V-brake in the front. These are great performers, usually better than the best Cantilever set-up.

A second problem that needs attention is the fit. This bike will need a set-back seat-post to fit correctly. The short-for-me toptube combined with steep seattube and headtube angles require that the saddle be set-back further behind the seattube line than my other bikes. This will improve the knee position over the pedal and will increase the reach.
Old 11-04-13, 06:04 PM
Zieleman

Bikes: Enough for now

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Retro Cyclocross, an explanation;

Cyclocross racing is usually performed short (2.5–3.5 km or 1.5–2 mile) course featuring pavement, wooded trails, grass, steep hills and obstacles requiring the rider to quickly dismount, carry the bike while navigating the obstruction and remount. The history of Cyclocross racing is more than 100 years old.

Cyclocross bikes are typically differentiated from road-race bikes by their greater tire clearances, lower gearing, stronger frames, cantilever brakes and more upright riding position. Frame geometry is altered from other bikes: Chainstays are often 425 or 430mm long and the bottom bracket drop from the axle line is less than on road or touring bikes. Cyclocross bicycles have altered drivetrains, some are set up with a single chainring others use double cranksets. Bikes that use a double crankset, generally use a 36-46 or 46-38 gearing. Cable routing for the rear brake and the derailleurs are placed down the top side of the top tube. This allows the racer to shoulder the bike while running. Tires are regulated to be no larger than 35mm for some groups and no larger than 33mm for elite racers. Knobby tires are common.

Cyclocross bikes are also popular as Sports/Touring bikes and many models feature mounting braze-ons for fenders and racks. Cyclocross bikes fill a broad niche as versatile bikes for recreational use, training, commuting, credit-card touring and gravel path & gravel road use.

Liboton was an animal! A proper rockstar back in the day (in Belgium). Btw I cannot imagine racing cross with toeclips...
Old 11-05-13, 12:49 AM
pullup

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I'm working through two issues with this semi-vintage Cyclocross bike. Many Cyclocross bikes have front brake shudder issues. If the cable housing is hanging from a hanger mounted under the stem, the flex of the fork can add tension to the brake cable. This sets up a shudder in the fork that makes stopping very erratic.

Modern bikes can be outfitted with a cable housing hanger that is mounted on the crown of the fork. This eliminates the tug of the cable as the fork flexes. However, the 1997 Simoncini fork lacks a mounting location for a fork mounted hanger. I'm possibly going to switch to a mini V-brake in the front. These are great performers, usually better than the best Cantilever set-up.

A second problem that needs attention is the fit. This bike will need a set-back seat-post to fit correctly. The short-for-me toptube combined with steep seattube and headtube angles require that the saddle be set-back further behind the seattube line than my other bikes. This will improve the knee position over the pedal and will increase the reach.
Now that is a tough course, especially in that weather

I have seen a lot of those races on television as there were good crossracers in Holland and not all of the attention was directed to soccer in those days so I remember most of those names.

Big fun,and almost the only kind of races even my mother liked to watch as she could not believe how anyone could be so stupid to ride in the mud like that.
Old 11-11-13, 01:35 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

Really beautiful bicycle...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.