Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Feet hurt/Shoe fitment

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Feet hurt/Shoe fitment

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 11:10 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Feet hurt/Shoe fitment

I have a real issue that I need to address quickly and I am not exactly sure which direction to go. For starters I am a clyde, I have very wide feet, I wear an 8 1/2 EEEE shoe. Yes, I have a hard time buying shoes too.

I have been riding and have a couple of shoes that I have ridden with. One is a size in length larger than I need and it doesn't feel like I am getting the power I want from it and my foot to pedal position seems off. The other is the correct size shoe (length not quite in width), but it is not wide enough to comfortably wear and ride for long periods of time. I have it as loose as I can get it so that the velcro is not flapping in the wind.

I get the pain in the outer part of my foot with my left foot hurting the most. It is to the point that I feel I am favoring that foot and causing my left calf to cramp due to leg position. 2 nights ago my right foot hurt for the first time, so I am very worried now.

My choices are thus. Find someone in the area (Minneapolis, MN) so that I can get some Bont's made or head to a podiatrist and get my feet checked out and potentially have an insole made to better support my foot. It's a $500 question and I want to make sure that I am making the right choice. I may still have to buy a better shoe even with a trip to the podiatrist.

Any advice would be appreciated.

To add to this, I am looking for a MTB shoe.

Last edited by Yendor72; 03-19-15 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-19-15, 11:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rocket 7 ,in Colorado, is another custom bike shoe company .. Rocket7 Custom Cycling Shoes

Shimano's SPD sandals are pretty open and adaptable .. someone can aways add more velcro strap length.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-19-15 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 12:04 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Shimano Click'R CT70 Bike Shoes - Men's - REI.com

I just bought these at REI, a week ago or so but have only one short ride with them. They are for very wide feet and are very comfortable.
Old 03-19-15, 01:54 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there nowhere in the Twin Cities area that carries Bonts? FWIW, I used to wear about a size 7 EE or EEEE, but lately, for both running and cycling shoes I've sized up to an 8 EEEE. I'm currently wearing a pair of Bont Vapor Plus road shoes (in 42 Wide), and a pair of Shimano M088 (in 42) mountain shoes (for winter commuting). The Bonts probably fit me a bit better, but they were more than 4x the price of the Shimanos (on sale at REI). Surprisingly the Shimanos are not too bad - no problems for a 30+ miles per day round trip commute. You might try to find some Shimano mountain bike shoes in a wide size, maybe online from a vendor with a liberal return policy (if you can't find someone locally). The Bonts are nice and wide, but the upper is also very stiff and unforgiving. Took me more than a couple of tries to get the heat molding right. I'm still considering a pair of D2 or Rocket 7 custom shoes (although maybe I'll take my own advice and go look for a pair of wide Shimano road shoes).
Old 03-19-15, 02:00 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Sandals are prevalent among recumbent riders because so many of them are 'older' and have wide, difficult-to-fit feet. As I get older, my feet are gaining in that direction, too. I've gone from a perfect 10D to a 10E. For my only-slightly-wide size, Shimano sells LE versions of their R088 and M088 shoes that are just right.
Old 03-19-15, 02:20 PM
Yendor72

Yes, there is 1 Bont dealer that I could find in the TC, unfortunately it is still an hour and a half drive from home. That cuts into my riding time! I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and driver over to St. Paul and check them out. I am not quite to the point that I want to spend more money on my shoes than my entire bike, but its getting close.

I've always had wide feet, as does my dad. While he is only 5'5" and 130lbs he has EE width feet. I am only 5'6" and *gulp* 220lbs so my feet are a little wider than his.

I am getting prepped for a tour in July and if my feet hurt I won't be able to go. So this is on top of my to do list.

*Update*- Just called the local Bont Dealer and he admitted that they are really the only ones in town. He had a lot of good information and seemed to be a big Bont supporter. Looks like I will be headed there on Saturday.

Last edited by Yendor72; 03-19-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 06:56 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72
Yes, there is 1 Bont dealer that I could find in the TC, unfortunately it is still an hour and a half drive from home. That cuts into my riding time! I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and driver over to St. Paul and check them out. I am not quite to the point that I want to spend more money on my shoes than my entire bike, but its getting close.

I've always had wide feet, as does my dad. While he is only 5'5" and 130lbs he has EE width feet. I am only 5'6" and *gulp* 220lbs so my feet are a little wider than his.

I am getting prepped for a tour in July and if my feet hurt I won't be able to go. So this is on top of my to do list.

*Update*- Just called the local Bont Dealer and he admitted that they are really the only ones in town. He had a lot of good information and seemed to be a big Bont supporter. Looks like I will be headed there on Saturday.
Good luck. The LBS where I got my Bonts also is the only dealer in reasonable driving distance. Fortunately he also was a really good guy, who let me try on several other brands, and once we settled on Bonts let me take a pair of them (the Vapor, not the Vapor Plus I ended up with) home so I could try them out for a week or so, before I pulled the trigger.
Old 03-20-15, 09:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ask ? maybe someone in either company, will post a kit to make a mold , like plaster socks, so you send that back rather than have to show up and have them do it .

once they have a mold of your feet , a custom Last can be made and the shoe upper built on that Last.
Old 03-20-15, 09:47 AM
Yendor72

Now I've had a bit of a step back. I can feel the tendons in my arch twitching with every step. I just requested an appointment with a podiatrist. Looks like I will be off the bike until I can get this addressed. This sucks.
Old 03-22-15, 12:31 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a real issue that I need to address quickly and I am not exactly sure which direction to go. For starters I am a clyde, I have very wide feet, I wear an 8 1/2 EEEE shoe. Yes, I have a hard time buying shoes too.

I have been riding and have a couple of shoes that I have ridden with. One is a size in length larger than I need and it doesn't feel like I am getting the power I want from it and my foot to pedal position seems off. The other is the correct size shoe (length not quite in width), but it is not wide enough to comfortably wear and ride for long periods of time. I have it as loose as I can get it so that the velcro is not flapping in the wind.

I get the pain in the outer part of my foot with my left foot hurting the most. It is to the point that I feel I am favoring that foot and causing my left calf to cramp due to leg position. 2 nights ago my right foot hurt for the first time, so I am very worried now.

My choices are thus. Find someone in the area (Minneapolis, MN) so that I can get some Bont's made or head to a podiatrist and get my feet checked out and potentially have an insole made to better support my foot. It's a $500 question and I want to make sure that I am making the right choice. I may still have to buy a better shoe even with a trip to the podiatrist.

Any advice would be appreciated.

To add to this, I am looking for a MTB shoe.
Since you say you are a "clyde" it really is in your best interest to follow the advice of a competent podiatrist. You ARE harming your metatarsal arch squeezing your wide foot into shoes to narrow. Your metatarsal arch is the part of your foot that gets loaded when you pedal.

Don't cheap this or you will be sorry in your later years. My grandpa made special shoes for people(base on the doctors instruction) with all sorts of fit problems just like yours. People would hobble in, grandpa would measure and fit them , make the shoes and they would walk out with a BIG smile, since for many, it was the first time their feet didn't hurt!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 03-25-15, 11:38 AM
Yendor72

I just got back from the podiatrist. Plantar fasciitis. I think I did well to stay off the bike for a week because my pain is manageable and I have not even taken anything for it.

I bought some Power Step Orthotics that he recommended, and I will use the inserts that came with my shoes since I had been using some Super Feet inserts. We'll see how that goes. I am going to order some Bonts however so that I don't have to squeeze my flipper into the bike shoes anymore. Although he did say give my current shoes a chance, I don't want to miss my opportunity to get some shoes ordered.
Old 03-25-15, 12:33 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Ever try flat pedals and shoes that fit?
Old 03-25-15, 01:14 PM
Yendor72

Flat pedals aren't my thing. I pull unconsciously, its very natural for me and without being clipped in I will pull my foot right off the pedal. I'd just have to go get shoes that fit anyway. I have work shoes that fit about 90-95%, but size 8 1/2 EEEE is not very common. I am wearing Skechers Relaxed fit "Wide" shoe right now and I have to say that I would like them to be a bit wider, doc thought they were serviceable. They are size 9 EE, so a little long too. I do what I have to in order to just wear shoes, when it comes to riding or running or even working out I need to make sure my feet are taken care of with the correct size.
Old 03-28-15, 12:43 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Flat pedals aren't my thing. I pull unconsciously, its very natural for me and without being clipped in I will pull my foot right off the pedal. I'd just have to go get shoes that fit anyway. I have work shoes that fit about 90-95%, but size 8 1/2 EEEE is not very common. I am wearing Skechers Relaxed fit "Wide" shoe right now and I have to say that I would like them to be a bit wider, doc thought they were serviceable. They are size 9 EE, so a little long too. I do what I have to in order to just wear shoes, when it comes to riding or running or even working out I need to make sure my feet are taken care of with the correct size.
Yes, yes you do need to make 110% sure that ALL of your footware is a correct fit for your feet which means custom made just for you shoes. See if you can find a cobbler that can make you shoes to fit just your feet or it's a lifetime of pain you face. Good luck. (To bad my grandpa isn't alive or he'd whip you up some comfy shoes. )

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?