Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport XT

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 08:20 PM
Mikey58 
Up! Up! Up!!!

Bikes: '84 Specialized Stumpjumper XT, '12 Felt TK2, '16 Bianchi Allroad, '22 Trek Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport XT

Trying to get a handle on the value of my '84 Stumpjumper Sport XT. I've owned it since new and sadly (or fortunately!) it has not been ridden much over it's lifetime. Overall, I'd say that it's in very good/excellent overall condition. The frame size is 20-1/2". The paint, chrome and alloy bits are very nice. The water bottle holder is a Specialized, original to the bike. The rear rack is a vintage Blackburn. The right chainstay does have some chipping, which has been touched up. The tires have been replaced quite some time ago and I'm quite certain that the originals were skinwalls or tanwalls. I've included some pics which I hope tell a better story. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Mike

Likes For Mikey58:
Old 03-04-24, 07:34 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is a garage queen; it's beautiful. I don't have a good handle on what this is worth but the early Stumpjumpers like this don't come up often and command a premium when they do. I'm glad you're not local to me or I'd talk myself into buying this.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-04-24, 08:12 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Just be prepared to sell on eBay to get FMV. I've bought these in local markets for a small fraction of their ebay sales prices. All of the Sports I have seen were a step down from the Stumpy, but still nice. I see yours has the XT component group, so thats not a step down. The other thing I would have expected Suntour XC II bear trap pedals. The full Stumpy (not Sport) had unusual/rare motorcycle brake levers.

I've never seen a "Sport XT". I usually either see a Stumpjumper, or a Stumpjumper Sport. Stumpjumpers (not Sports) from that era can bring even more $$.

Still, this is a superb example that could go for $1000 on eBay. You must be willing to pack and ship if you sell on ebay, it's just how it goes. And there are all the fees. Still, a local sale might be in the $300 range in my market (I've found them for less than that). Hopefully your market is stronger.

Last edited by wrk101; 03-04-24 at 08:28 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 03-04-24, 04:38 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
$300ish in a local sale is my guess. You need a collector to get top dollar. There’s lots of inventory if all you want is a top dog vintage MTB to choose from.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-04-24, 04:49 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 287 Posts
In Southern California, in that condition, I would estimate between $500 and $700...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 03-06-24, 04:54 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
In Southern California, in that condition, I would estimate between $500 and $700...
That would have been my guess, Ebay Sold listing confirms: https://www.ebay.com/itm/145236437787 - Sold @$630

Edit: Oh yeah, and Wow that thing is beautiful!

Last edited by SoCaled; 03-06-24 at 07:47 PM.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 03-08-24, 12:23 PM
Mikey58 
Up! Up! Up!!!

Bikes: '84 Specialized Stumpjumper XT, '12 Felt TK2, '16 Bianchi Allroad, '22 Trek Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks, everybody, for your input - greatly appreciate it! I at least have some idea, now, as to what a reasonable asking price would be once the time comes to sell the Stumpjumper. Will probably start locally, as I'm not sure if I want to get involved with online auctions and the whole shipping process that goes along with that. I know that I'll be sacrificing some $$$$, but so be it. Just hoping to find a good home for the bike. Thanks again!

Mike
Old 03-08-24, 12:39 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 1,770 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Just be prepared to sell on eBay to get FMV. I've bought these in local markets for a small fraction of their ebay sales prices. All of the Sports I have seen were a step down from the Stumpy, but still nice. I see yours has the XT component group, so thats not a step down. The other thing I would have expected Suntour XC II bear trap pedals. The full Stumpy (not Sport) had unusual/rare motorcycle brake levers.

I've never seen a "Sport XT". I usually either see a Stumpjumper, or a Stumpjumper Sport. Stumpjumpers (not Sports) from that era can bring even more $$.

Still, this is a superb example that could go for $1000 on eBay. You must be willing to pack and ship if you sell on ebay, it's just how it goes. And there are all the fees. Still, a local sale might be in the $300 range in my market (I've found them for less than that). Hopefully your market is stronger.
The pedals are Shimano ax series agree that Suntour bear traps or XT pedals would be nicer one of the cost measures that were made on the sport series.
Likes For zukahn1: