Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Automoto Champion du Monde cleanup/build thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Automoto Champion du Monde cleanup/build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 12:30 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Reviving this long idle thread for a very good reason. The Automoto got put together enough for a ride a few days ago:

My first picture (of the most-of-a-bike I bought from 63rickert) was taken July 30, 2021, so it's taken nearly three years of on again/off again effort (mostly off again) to get to this point. In addition to getting this Patina Pony™ on the road, this was my first time using either a lever-operated shifter or a pull-chain rear derailleur. I must say I rather liked it that the shift to larger cogs works with the spring instead of against it.

It still needs some work, brakes adjusted, handlebar tape added, maybe some decent tubulars. I'm in no great rush though. The next Patina Pony is in the works...

Old 03-19-24, 06:28 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
So happy to see it was not repainted again. It looks great.
Old 03-19-24, 07:47 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

wonderful to see she's now on the road after all of that thought, care, planning and work

---

the globe in this image twigged a memory for me

there is a similar globe, in a larger size, at the entrance of every Rossmoor planned retirement community

for readers who can recall the old telly series The Invaders you may remember that David Vincent's day job before getting involved with the aliens was as an architect

there is an episode of the program where the aliens are able to probe his mind and find the ideal planned community it was his dream to build

they are able to make him believe they have created it and show it to him

the episode was shot at a Rossmoor community, obviously one which had been completed by 1967, its large hollow globe is featured prominently in a few shots...

entrance to branch in Seal Beach, California

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-19-24 at 08:09 PM. Reason: addition