Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever crashed avoiding you?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Has anyone ever crashed avoiding you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 08:48 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Buddy and I on a road ride passing a side street that had a stop sign. Car started up out of the side street, sees 2 approaching bicycles, that have right of way, hits his brakes and gets rear ended by the car behind. A female passenger in an SUV pulls up along side us and yells that the accident was our fault. Well, no it wasn’t. It was the fault of the guy not paying attention to what the car in front of him was doing, which was yielding right of way to us, which we had.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-27-23, 09:59 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I see how it seems that way, but this particular stretch actually feels fairly safe to bike on. We don't go during rush hour or anything. ...<snip>.
"Seems very safe" yet this is the scenario you use to frame the question, "Has anyone ever crashed avoiding you?

Assuming I'm not biking around like Mr. Magoo drove, no. No car has ever crashed trying to avoid me.
Old 12-28-23, 09:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Seriously. I visited the UK w/my DW who is from there and I'm not sure I could ever bike there! And we were in a small town (Burnley) but the traffic was insane. But to your last point. Absolutely, I'm certain that nearly everyone that winds up seriously hurt (or worse) in a bicycle crash had one or more close calls that should have clued them in that their roadcraft needed some TLC.
I actually grew up in a town very close to Burnley. Small World hey! Cycling on UK roads has it’s pros and cons. Because the roads are relatively narrow and winding, drivers are forced to pay more attention. But then they are also forced to pass cyclists in closer proximity. I’ve had countless close calls over the years and my wife and kids will only ride off-road. But road cycling is quite popular in the UK and drivers are generally accepting of cyclists. I think driver complacency and attitude are potentially bigger problems than road width. But in the OPs case if this narrow stretch of road is not typical of the local roads in the area then motorists are more likely to do something stupid from lack of experience.
Old 12-28-23, 11:26 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
I have had a few doing panic stops and causing rear enders the last one I came to a stop on our tandem on a offshoot road it has a light for me to cross. so I came to a stop and a guy thought i was going ride in front of him and slammed on his brakes and a guy behind him had to sideswipe him shooting past.
Likes For fooferdoggie: