Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Which hybrid?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Which hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-24, 11:55 AM
sohoprom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac probably 2018. Kona ***** Tonk 2015. and a coaster to ride to tennis courts.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which hybrid?

Hello. I have decided that racer handlebars are causing me problems and that maybe it's time to get a fitness hybric. It's hot down here, but no hills, only constant wind. I'm just looking for an easy get on and go bike where I can get some cardio and lose a few beer pounds.

I've done some research on new bikes in the $550-$700 range, and came up with these below. I have always been a Cannondale fan, can't say why, just like I can't say why I prefer Stoli vodka or prefer a Head tennis racket. So I'm open to suggestion, but there are so many brands I'm getting a little crazy, Trek or Specialized or Cannondale or Roll: or Giant or Kona...

Obviously test drives are essential(?) but wonder if anyone here has anything to say about the 5 below.

Much appreciated

Cannondales...
--Treadwell 3... $560

--Quick 5 $570

--quick cx 3 $640

--Quick 4 $680

Specialized Roll 3.0 $549

Again, if you have better sugesstions within my price point, let me know. Not opposed to used with warrantee.
Old 04-03-24, 12:58 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Kona Dew
Old 04-03-24, 01:33 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked 1,895 Times in 1,089 Posts
in addition check out the Trek FX and Specialized Sirrus
Old 04-03-24, 01:52 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Looked at the specs, and looks like they all have what I'd consider the bare minimum you want on a bike at this price, cassette hub, double wall rims, and a chain that isn't garbage. The Treadwell will likely seem slower and more upright compared to the others, and the Roll will be even more so. I'd let test rides be the deciding factor on which one to grab.
Old 04-03-24, 04:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,677 Posts
Which racers handlebars do you have? If a flat bar for say mountain bike racing you could just try a riser bar and a different stem. However if you have a drop bar or truly want to be comfortable you might consider getting a fit and letting your fitter know you would like to be more upright and comfortable end explain the issues you are currently having with your bike and your body and they can help you with your current bike and make it easier to ride.

If I were picking from Cannondale probably Quick 1. Specialized would be Sirrus X 4.0 (or 5.0 non-X), Kona would be Dr. Dew or Dew Deluxe, Marin would be DSX 1 (or 2) or Larkspur 1 (or 2).

The Roll is a comfortable bike but very upright kind the 3.0 in the last decent one they have as they seem to be less supportive of it now they have their third gen Como which has taken off immensely.
Old 04-03-24, 08:27 PM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I have a Cannondale Quick CX3 I love the bike. Like you I like Cannondale bikes and have owned one off and on since the 90’s. I’m in the process of upgrading the drivetrain. Not that there’s anything wrong with the current but I can’t leave well enough alone.
Old 04-05-24, 05:28 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Op....since your terrain is mostly flat have you considered a flat-bar Single Speed geared for the windy conditions?
Usually more bang for the buck and very low maintenance vs a geared bike.
You get back from the Ride what you put into it......
Old 04-05-24, 06:43 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I'd start with the bike which fits best and has best components, though most can be upgraded. Also, and one of my pet peeves, is which has the least proprietary parts. Which dealer has the best reputation (in case you don't do your own maintenance or would have a warranty claim)?
Old 04-05-24, 07:46 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 253 Posts
As other suggested, focus on fit first, then consider components and brand. Each brand has their own way of maximizing their value per dollar. Example: Cannondale uses FSA cranks. Trek uses non-Shimano brakes.

Not to be redundant but I will - Look at components and decide what is most important for you.

I'm a fan of Cannondale and think the Quick 1 is a great bike but a stretch for your budget. I lucked into mine when a friend upgraded to a road bike after a year of riding. 105 is an amazing group set but way more than I need. I love the hydruaulic disc brakes. 2x11 is my favorite setup but a good 3x9 option. My wife has a Verve 3 (Alivio) and she spends 99% of the time on the middle front sprocket and adjusts the rear as needed.

If I was looking now, I would consider the following bikes with full intent to ride before purchase:
  • Jamis Coda (steel) and Allegro (aluminum) - available at my local bike shop 3 miles from home
  • Marin Fairfax (hybrid) and Presidio (urban available with IGH!) - closest deal is 25 miles away
  • Trek FX - shop is .5 miles from the house
  • Cannondale Quick - shop is 15 miles but staff/service is great
  • Specialized Sirrus - two shops within 15 mile radius

Last edited by Trav1s; 04-05-24 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-05-24, 08:36 AM
sohoprom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac probably 2018. Kona ***** Tonk 2015. and a coaster to ride to tennis courts.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, am considering this FX3 barely used, for local pick-up... I can get a new one for $900, plus tax, but seems like this could be a good buy??
$700
  • Condition
    Used - like new
  • Material
    Aluminum
  • Type
    Hybrid Bike
  • Wheel Size
    700c
2023 Trek FX 3 | Shimano Deore 1x10 | Hydraulic Brakes | Carbon Fork | Large | Hybrid Bike This beautiful bike is in mint new condition, no scratches or scuff marks anywhere; even the clear plastic chain-guard is perfect. This is the newest model with the Shimano Deore 1x10-Speed drivetrain. A great multi-purpose bike that can be ridden on various terrains. Shifting is tuned, wheels are true, brakes are perfect - bike is 100% ready to ride. Seat was upgraded to a Bontrager Fluid comfort seat.
Old 04-05-24, 08:51 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 253 Posts
The FX 3 was my first choice before landed the used Quick 1.

You're call on the price: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...tion=EXCELLENT
Old 04-05-24, 08:53 AM
sohoprom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, thanks, good to know.

I appreciate everyone's input!!!!

Old 04-06-24, 12:06 PM
sohoprom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Op....since your terrain is mostly flat have you considered a flat-bar Single Speed geared for the windy conditions?
Usually more bang for the buck and very low maintenance vs a geared bike.
You get back from the Ride what you put into it......
Interesting possibility, thanks. While we have no hills, the constant wind is almost the equivalent. Wonder if they make 3 speeds anymore?

Old 04-06-24, 04:05 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by sohoprom
Interesting possibility, thanks. While we have no hills, the constant wind is almost the equivalent. Wonder if they make 3 speeds anymore?

If they're available in our small market in Canada, you should be able to find them where you are.
I've been thinking about one of these.....
ht tps://www.regalbicycles.com/collections/3-speed-city-bicycles
Old 04-07-24, 06:55 PM
RoadWearier

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
I think you are on the right track with the FX3. I really liked mine and regret selling it.
Old 04-08-24, 07:34 PM
sohoprom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
Kona Dew
The Kona dew is amazingly priced under $400 or less than $500 including shipping, which makes me wonder about the quality... but there's a bigger problem, I cant test drive it since no one has it in my region.

So is buying a bike like the Kona Dew a good idea without giving it a spin? Seems like many bikes now are sold by companies without big brick and mortar presence. Generous return policies but that can be costly.

Also, Kona has different Dews at higher prices and wonder whether to raise the budget.

Thoughts?
Old 04-09-24, 05:31 AM
RoadWearier

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
I wouldn't buy any bike I can't sit on and ride. Another reason to buy used. Lots of bikes were bought and ridden once a few miles and never ridden again. They have that in common with guitars...well substitute "played" for "ridden."
Old 04-09-24, 06:26 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,677 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
I wouldn't buy any bike I can't sit on and ride. Another reason to buy used. Lots of bikes were bought and ridden once a few miles and never ridden again. They have that in common with guitars...well substitute "played" for "ridden."
You should ride a bike before you buy but it doesn't mean you should buy used because some buyers don't allow test rides. A new guitar that someone didn't play is probably not one I am as interested in I want someone to have loved that guitar because that probably means it sounds good. If you look at a lot of professional musicians they go to pawn shops and buy used instruments and you see a lot of them go for well played stuff for a reason. There is mojo in them thar pickups.
Old 04-09-24, 08:10 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by sohoprom
The Kona dew is amazingly priced under $400 or less than $500 including shipping, which makes me wonder about the quality... but there's a bigger problem, I cant test drive it since no one has it in my region.

So is buying a bike like the Kona Dew a good idea without giving it a spin? Seems like many bikes now are sold by companies without big brick and mortar presence. Generous return policies but that can be costly.

Also, Kona has different Dews at higher prices and wonder whether to raise the budget.

Thoughts?
Mine is 13 years old. I have way more expensive bikes, but the Dew is my every day go to bike. I'm on my 4th set of tires....
Old 04-09-24, 01:20 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
@sohoprom, have you ridden anything? That Trek FX3 sounds really nice; I've heard good things about them.
Old 04-09-24, 03:55 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
As long as you've identified particular models to try/look for, then you can do MUCH better on the used market.

Someone mentioned the Trek FX series (newer and older series) and Specialized Sirrus. I'd add them to the search. The Trek 7.5FX (last made in 2016..I think) is a very nice bike that can be had for around $300-$325. The 7.6FX & 7.9FX are also very nice(r). I've seen a couple 7.6FX models selling for $325 in the Tampa area (FB Marketplace) which is really a steal. In general, a $1000 MSRP hybrid that's 4-5 years+ old can be had on the used market for about 30-40 cents on the dollar. Many (surprisingly many) of these bikes are like new as people buy them with high hopes and then the hopes evaporate. Their loss/your gain.

Another generality.. Bicycle Blue Book is useless. Anyone that watches both the used bike market and BBB quickly realizes that BBB hasn't a clue relative to the real world.
Old 04-19-24, 08:47 AM
Awesomeguy

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
What modfication are you making to the drive train ? What was the spec before and after ?