Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Non Prescription Sunglasses

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-24, 07:35 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Since my cataract surgery, I no longer need prescription sunglasses. I would appreciate suggestions on what I should look for.
Polarized?
Glasses that darken?
Color of Lens?
Old 04-11-24, 07:48 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6976 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Price range?
Old 04-11-24, 08:23 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Do you need readers? Tifosi has several models with different levels of readers built in. And, some are also photochromic.

got a pair of the photochromic Crit model and they’re great! While wearing my contacts, I have good distance vision and with the built-in readers I can see even the smallest symbols on my Garmin.

And, they’re not too expensive, either.
Old 04-11-24, 08:42 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
Since my cataract surgery, I no longer need prescription sunglasses. I would appreciate suggestions on what I should look for.
Polarized?
Glasses that darken?
Color of Lens?
First question is, IMO: do you have any specific "special" conditions you frequent, that would benefit from various sunglasses features?

A few decades back, I used to be out in the sunshine several days per week doing various activities. Often around water, so glare could be extreme. Occasionally in windy/dusty conditions. Occasionally in alpine/snow conditions where the lighting needs can be different. I felt some of these features to be of benefit:
  • 100% UVA/UVB protection -- A #1 feature for me, irrespective of any other nicety
  • Increased contrast -- depending on activity (ie, snow visibility, when snow skiing, or roadway/impediment visiblity when cycling)
  • Polarized lenses -- for clarity, reduced eye strain
  • Anti-glare coatings -- for clarity, reduced eye strain
  • Wrap-around frame/lens -- to help keep the worst of dust/grit out
  • "Transitions" brightness changing -- useful, but not vital, though can allow for one pair to be used both indoors and out
  • Easily-replaced lenses -- useful if doing many activities in very bright sunlight, then various other activities in overcast, less-bright conditions, allowing me to simply swap-in the "other" set for the day
Old 04-11-24, 08:50 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Polarized?
Glasses that darken?
Color of Lens?
One thought on polarized lenses is that with some computer LCD displays, turning your head a bit will make the display disappear.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 04-11-24, 09:30 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
I would definitely get polarized to deal with glare. I have been riding with a pair of Oakley glasses. Very satisfied.
Old 04-11-24, 09:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Tinted safety glasses are what I use. If you don't need readers on them then they are really easy on the pocket book and you could buy them by the gross and toss a used pair any time you wish.

https://safetyglassesusa.com/search?...safety+glasses

I need readers, so I use the bifocal safety glasses. Both in tinted for day and clear for very overcast or night time. Some of the clear selections have tint options.

https://safetyglassesusa.com/collect...safety-glasses

I have a pair of expensive Costa's that are polarized that I use for driving. But I'd be leery of polarization. Sometimes with them on, certain types of phone, gas pump and other LCD/LED screens are difficult to see due to their polarization. I've never worn them to check if I can see my Garmin Edge well with them. I couldn't bear the thought of dropping them while on a ride and then running over them. But for other times the Costa's fit so well, I wouldn't be without them.
Old 04-11-24, 11:15 AM
daniell

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by DirePenguin
Do you need readers? Tifosi has several models with different levels of readers built in. And, some are also photochromic.

got a pair of the photochromic Crit model and they’re great! While wearing my contacts, I have good distance vision and with the built-in readers I can see even the smallest symbols on my Garmin.

And, they’re not too expensive, either.
I don't require readers. For close up viewing, I have a pair of reading glasses.
I would like a pair that blocks the glare and provides protection from wind and such things as blown sand. I am thinking of ones that get dark because they would be usable if it becomes cloudy. I don't know how well they work however. I would think that gray would be the best color.
Old 04-11-24, 11:33 AM
shapiroeric

Bikes: Storck Aerfast Platinum

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 26 Posts
I don't require readers. For close up viewing, I have a pair of reading glasses.
I would like a pair that blocks the glare and provides protection from wind and such things as blown sand. I am thinking of ones that get dark because they would be usable if it becomes cloudy. I don't know how well they work however. I would think that gray would be the best color.
I have a pair of Oakley photochromatic glasses.....worth every penny
Old 04-11-24, 11:40 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
I like polarized and wrap around. I got some Tifosi Photochromic recently and have been very happy with them

in general I have found spending a bit more on a brand name like tifosi or smith has given me better results. (exception is the sunglasses I use sea kayaking)

Old 04-11-24, 11:56 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I find Tifosi to be a good balance of price and features. Lenses are somewhat personal, but I like to have a transitional "photochromic" lens for days where the cloud cover is expected to vary. High contrast red helps on thick wooded offroad trails. Darker tints are nice on full sun days. Clear or yellow are good for night time.

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
One thought on polarized lenses is that with some computer LCD displays, turning your head a bit will make the display disappear.
I had a cheap pair of polarized glasses that made the computer screen disappear no matter what. Couldn't see my phone screen either. Got non-polarized Tifosis after that and glare really hasn't been an issue on dark or photochromic lenses.

Last edited by urbanknight; 04-11-24 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-11-24, 12:13 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Another thought on polarized lenses: tilting your head a bit can make the asphalt road surface appear black. That can be disconcerting on a fast descent.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-11-24, 12:22 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
where you live may be a consideration not mentioned. Where I live in the Pac NW, we get many days that are partly cloudy and really dark sunglasses are too dark, especially riding in and out of shadow.

I like Oakleys (mostly the earlier ones pre-Luxxotica) and the VR-28 dark amber lens works very well. The interchangeable lens feature is helpful.

on days with full cloud cover I use an amber or "persimmon" lens that adds contrast.

I am not a fan of polarized lenses (altho they do have their place on boats) and not a fan of "changeable" lenses, but that is just me.

you do you

/markp
Old 04-11-24, 12:31 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
where you live may be a consideration not mentioned. Where I live in the Pac NW, we get many days that are partly cloudy and really dark sunglasses are too dark, especially riding in and out of shadow.

I like Oakleys (mostly the earlier ones pre-Luxxotica) and the VR-28 dark amber lens works very well.
That's the one I had, with a pair of the older "M" frame glasses. Dark (probably too dark), but strangely enough the amber worked okay with the shadows and partly-cloudy days that also had bright sun. Good stuff, the Oakleys. And their range of lens options is exceptional. Can easily get a set to match a given type of conditions, then another set of lenses more appropriate for different conditions, easily swapping them onto the frames.
Old 04-11-24, 02:23 PM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean that you don’t require readers but have reading glasses.

If you need different glasses to see up close, the Tifosi sunglasses are like bifocals; reading glasses at the bottom and sunglasses when looking straight ahead. Both sections darken in sunlight but they’re completely clear if it’s dim/dark. They seem to change fast enough on my usual ride that’s partially in shade and partially in sun.
Old 04-11-24, 02:26 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Don't know if you're looking for bike specific wrap around glasses or ? I wore regular r/x glasses for 69 years, prior to having cataract surgery about a year ago. I still need a "reader" for small print but my regular vision is fine. Went to a local big box store and tried out their assortment of readers to see what strength I needed. Then I found some glasses on Amazon that were plain on the top portion, with a biopter on the bottom portion. I am using these with clip-on, polarized sunglasses that I can flip up if in shade, or down if in sun. And I can glance down at the cyclometer and it's in good focus. Working for me, but if you're looking for a wrap-around, this isn't it!
Old 04-11-24, 02:41 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,213 Posts
I've got a few pairs of Tifosi sunglasses with readers (one for each car, one for the bike gear). I need the readers, and appreciate not having to carry an extra pair of glasses when riding.

I also got a few pairs of safety glasses. Cheap, yes. While riding in the morning, they fog up quickly when I stop, and take a long time to clear. The better ventilation of the Tifosi glasses is worth the added cost, IMHO. OTOH, the clear glasses work fairly well for riding in rain or overcast to keep raindrops and bugs out of my eyes.
Old 04-11-24, 03:34 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
Just bought a new set after finding my collection not doing enough to block airflow this winter, while my eyes are becoming more apt to tearing in the cold. Plus, adequate tint strength for the low sun angle.

Smith Ruckus w/ 15% transmission lenses. The model has several lens options ranging from 15-10% transmission and a variable lens that transmits 20-85%. Mine include a second light-tint lens for overcast.

They have several models of various size and shape. These fit my narrow face well and the bows tuck under helmet straps.

I don't think pola are necessary but are nice so long as the glasses have adequate coverage and good fit. My "Chromapop" lenses give very good color saturation, but are not polarized.

ETA Fit can be tricky. A 5-minute test might not reveal glasses that are painful after 2 hours. A challenging aspect, especially with injected frames.

Last edited by Rick_D; 04-11-24 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-11-24, 04:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
I didn't read any of the follow ups. However IMO gray is the least favorable. Browns will yield the most contrast to let you pick things out clearly. Yellows close behind.

Grays and blues tend to just make everything look the same with little contrast between them.
Old 04-11-24, 04:38 PM
GGDaddy

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I love me some polarized sunglasses for driving. They're great for reducing road glare.

I hate polarized sunglasses for cycling. I prefer to see the hint of glare that can call attention to wet pavement in summer or black ice in winter.
Likes For GGDaddy:
Old 04-11-24, 06:28 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
I own several pairs of Goodr glasses. They're inexpensive, polarized, and come in several shapes with tons of colors. Color of shade never makes much of a difference for me but if you're looking for options, they've got them.
Old 04-11-24, 07:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,677 Posts
I would say photochromic glasses are my go to. I don't love wearing polarized glasses I get the usefulness of them but for me I like a very clear view that isn't particularly dark. All the various polarized lenses I have tried just don't do it for me in most situations.
Old 04-14-24, 07:32 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I've had good luck with Tiffosi, Oakley and others. Strangely I've taken to riding with my Maui Jim sport glasses and really like them. I think it's because the are so light.
Old 04-15-24, 06:00 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Another thought on polarized lenses: tilting your head a bit can make the asphalt road surface appear black. That can be disconcerting on a fast descent.
Ditto on the issues with LCD displays and road surfaces with polarized lenses. I used to do a lot of motorcycle riding. Wearing polarized lenses, it was quite disconcerting to see the road surface change appearance as I tilted my head mid-corner. Went from looking like dry pavement to wet and oily just like that. I stopped wearing polarized lenses when riding, then stopped buying them. Haven't missed them.
Old 04-15-24, 08:11 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Polarized, wrap-around close-to-face fitting and mirrored. I am a huge fan of Gatorz sunglasses. They are American made, made of aluminum, not plastic, have a lifetime guarantee and they offer many models with varying degrees of "wrap-around". I own the "Magnum" model and love them! They fit under a helmet with no issues also.

They also have lenses (the OPZ lens) that work with LCD and other electronic displays without "blacking-out" the display.

They go on sale with some regularity so be patient and check their web site once in a while or better yet get on their notifications...they don't send out a lot of emails. Get a pair, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Check them out:
https://www.gatorz.com/

--

Last edited by drlogik; 04-15-24 at 08:17 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.