Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help Choose a Dog Breed for Cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help Choose a Dog Breed for Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 06:31 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lmike6453
I'm confused as I see a lot of videos with people taking their Vizslas on fast bike rides. Maybe they aren't long distance. How many miles can I expect a Vizsla to travel comfortably in a day with breaks in between, or a slower pace every so often?
Only one safe way to find out. Buy one, run it until it dies, then buy an identical one and run it just a little less.
Old 11-13-17, 06:31 PM
lmike6453

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
As a longtime dog owner...please don't get the dog if this is how its life will be. Long hours of loneliness followed by a whooping 15 minutes of play? The dog that you want following your bike on the weekends is a dog that can't live such a lonely, seditary life the rest of the time.

Dan
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I live alone and have a dog but I'm retired and spend all day with it. I didn't get one until I retired. A 15 minute walk a day is nothing. I take my dog out every three hours for at least 15 minutes. Nine hours alone is not very cool. I feel bad if I have to leave mine alone for 4-5 hours. And then you have to think about what you're going to do with it if you want to go away for a weekend, or go on a vacation trip. Who will watch it? A professional pet sitter costs money and most require the dog to be fixed. When the initial thrill of getting one wears off you might regret it.
I don't want to be cruel to an animal by any means. I meant 15 minutes of outside kind of play minimum. I helped raise a dog once in my lifetime from a shelter with my best friend for a few years and it worked out, but we had plenty of more free time between us as late teenagers.

I would very frequently play with the dog indoors and give it attention, play rough, but playful, tug of war as a workout for both of us. I was planning on doing the same with this one...
Old 11-13-17, 06:32 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
If the dog can move from house to yard and back in your absence it would be beneficial. I'd probably recommend hiking instead of biking with the dog, and I'd limit biking to offroad. My pointer mix is a running fool but about five miles on a bike outing is plenty.

Thing is, if you get an energetic breed you will have to run it daily, and you can kiss the thought of 15 minutes good bye. A runner will need an hour, maybe one in the morning and one in the evening. Seriously, if you get a dog that runs it will need to whether you're in the mood or not.
Old 11-13-17, 06:32 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
However I live alone and work Mon-Fri where the dog will be alone for 9 hours. I intend to walk it and play ball for at least 15 mins daily.
Please don't get a dog. They're not ornaments. Nine hours alone, and /at least/ 15 mins of play? That's cruel and disgusting.

You should consider a fish. Or a cat.
Old 11-13-17, 06:36 PM
lmike6453

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thumpism
If the dog can move from house to yard and back in your absence it would be beneficial. I'd probably recommend hiking instead of biking with the dog, and I'd limit biking to offroad. My pointer mix is a running fool but about five miles on a bike outing is plenty.

Thing is, if you get an energetic breed you will have to run it daily, and you can kiss the thought of 15 minutes good bye. A runner will need an hour, maybe one in the morning and one in the evening. Seriously, if you get a dog that runs it will need to whether you're in the mood or not.
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Please don't get a dog. They're not ornaments. Nine hours alone, and /at least/ 15 mins of play? That's cruel and disgusting.

Would it work to get 2 dogs and make my basement a big playpen of toys and such? That way they aren't alone during the day, and still have their human owner at night.

I read about this a lot, but the flip side of the coin is that 2 dogs is a handful of more responsibility as well as financial.
Old 11-13-17, 06:38 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Can you bring it to work with you?
Old 11-13-17, 06:40 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
As far as the cycling aspect goes, I feel sorry for ANY dog you get. They're DOGS, NOT Horses. They're not designed to run all day at top speed. Do you have a death wish for said dog? Sounds like it to me.
Jon
For that matter, as mentioned earlier about dogs not being designed for running long distances, a human distance runner can run a HORSE to death, too.
Old 11-13-17, 06:45 PM
lmike6453

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you bring it to work with you?
The ideal solution I thought of in my head would be to bring the dog with me on my biking commute to work and drop it off for someone / some place to watch. Then pick it up on way home on my bicycle and cycle back.

But no, unfortunately I cannot bring the dog to my workplace directly.
Old 11-13-17, 06:45 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Get a kayak and a small dog(under 25 pounds). Kayaking flat water and class 1/2 rivers is a blast with a dog. The kayak needs to have an open cockpit so the dog can sit between your legs. I have done this with my dog, but would never attempt to bike with her as it would be to demanding. I see an older gentleman on the Greenway that has two large dogs that he uses to pull him on the bike. This seems to work, but he only goes about a mile out and back, if that.
Old 11-13-17, 06:50 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I don't want to be cruel to an animal by any means. I meant 15 minutes of outside kind of play minimum. I helped raise a dog once in my lifetime from a shelter with my best friend for a few years and it worked out, but we had plenty of more free time between us as late teenagers.

I would very frequently play with the dog indoors and give it attention, play rough, but playful, tug of war as a workout for both of us. I was planning on doing the same with this one...
Well, if you get one try to get one from a shelter. Nine hours alone is better than being in one of those. I can't even go to shelters because it's too sad seeing them look at me with those eyes pleading for a new home. I want to take them all.
Old 11-13-17, 06:50 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Please do not ride with a fog on a leash, its asking for trouble. A dog could bolt and pull you off of a bike quickly. Unless you are up to working dog training standards a dog will get distracted and take off at something it feels needs its attention and investigation. I have owned setter bird dogs since 1993 and love our current one dearly, but I won’t attempt to ride with her along side me ever. And don’t feel you could release the lead fast enough either.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-13-17, 06:55 PM
lmike6453

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Well, if you get one try to get one from a shelter. Nine hours alone is better than being in one of those. I can't even go to shelters because it's too sad seeing them look at me with those eyes pleading for a new home. I want to take them all.
Precisely what I was thinking...to give a dog a better life than the shelter...

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Please do not ride with a fog on a leash, its asking for trouble. A dog could bolt and pull you off of a bike quickly. Unless you are up to working dog training standards a dog will get distracted and take off at something it feels needs its attention and investigation. I have owned setter bird dogs since 1993 and love our current one dearly, but I won’t attempt to ride with her along side me ever. And don’t feel you could release the lead fast enough either.

Bill
I have watched videos of people recommending the springer leash. Is this not safe? They said that the spring reduces a lot of tension of dog pulling, and if it pulls too much it can break free. And that the dog will run once it is in "run mode":
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017NM4OE...=1U1OXTJ9TKNG4
Old 11-13-17, 07:04 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Then your dog is loose and you are now liable for anything that it could do. I don’t think its a good idea is my only point, you are the one to make the decision and have to accept the outcome.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-13-17, 07:14 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Just another point of data for you: greyhounds (and whippets) are the laziest dogs ever. A neighbor friend of mine has three of them (and one more dog), which are all very good for the agility training she does with them. She works inconsistent odd hours (nights and weekends) and I often check on them when she's working. They are the closest things to cats that I've ever seen in a dog breed. Sometimes you have to coax them to go outside to pee.

Just a thought. By the way, it's great that you've given this so much consideration. I'm sure you'll make a great dog owner.
Old 11-13-17, 07:22 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I have been wanting a dog for 10 years now but purposely held off until I knew my life would be stable.

I am now 30, just bought a detached house 6 months ago with a big yard, and have a stable job. I have 2 spare bedrooms and basement that I can make a dog playroom. I'm ready!

However I live alone and work Mon-Fri where the dog will be alone for 9 hours. I intend to walk it and play ball for at least 15 mins daily. My girlfriend will take the dog during the day 1 day per week.

The weekends will be the most exciting where I religiously go on long hikes or bike rides. I need a dog that can keep up with the bike, but will be ok during the week.

I was leaning toward a Vizsla, but mixed so they are not overly energetic. Or maybe a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. I want a dog that doesn't shed much.

Thoughts?
The ONLY way I would involved my dog with my cycling, would be with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Involved with cycling or not, my recommendation for breed is a Border Collie.
Old 11-13-17, 07:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
My girlfriend will take the dog during the day 1 day per week.
Girlfriends come and go. One moment you are in love and the next moment you are wondering what happened. I would not rely on this.

I'm not a dog person but if I was I'd have Lily.

Old 11-13-17, 07:37 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts

Not even a cat. I have cats and they require a lot more attention than most people would think.
Old 11-13-17, 07:38 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Don't overlook small to medium dogs. My last dog used to travel behind the bike in a kiddy trailer. Sure, he wasn't getting any exercise doing that (he was a lazy sod anyway) but it enriched his life by being out in the smells and with his people - just stick to bike paths, there's nothing enjoyable for a dog on a road among all the fumes. I'd hook up the trailer (to a normal bike, no special fittings), ride for half an hour to a dog park, then give him half and hour running around... well, sniffing around (told you he was lazy) then ride back again. Rather than leave from home, I'd drive to an appropriate drop off point to give us the above 'workout' and to visit different places.

If all you're going to do is give him 15 mins a day, buy a poster, get it framed and hang it on the wall. That's nothing. You'd be a lot better off taking him for at least a half hour walk every day after getting home from work - that'd do both of you a lot of good.

Steer clear of bigger dogs. All they'll give you is a higher food bill and a higher clean up job. Your lifestyle doesn't lend itself to a dog of any sort. Even a chihuahua is as much a dog as a rottweiler if raised to be one.

This is a serious suggestion. Buy one or two of the more human orientated cats. My preference is the Siamese which are extremely dog like in their relationship with humans and their ability to play with humans. Other breeds work well too. You may be lucky enough to snag this in a moggy but you don't know it's history or the genetics that define its character (my moggy is friendly enough, but just wants you to stay 'over there'). Most breeds will have a local rescue group run by responsible breeders, responsible breeders will also make effort to place any of their cats that loses its home. Your lifestyle DOES lend itself to a cat, preferably two because of the amount of time you're out of the house. Your 'doggy play room' will also make an excellent cat play room. Think it over. In your situation, it is much much easier to have happy cats rather than run the risk of creating a problem dog.
Old 11-13-17, 07:38 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 50 pound German Shorthaired Pointer. We've taken her mountain biking, and she is considerably faster than my wife and I. Not even a chance. 7-10 miles and she's tired. I'd never take her on road rides, or even TRY to do some rail trail, alongside me. MTB is better for her speed, since I can't climb as fast as her, so she gets to walk up the hills, or run ahead and wait.

That said, she is a high energy dog, and we take her to the park every day for an hour minimum. She requires a lot of attention.
Old 11-13-17, 07:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,293 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
For that matter, as mentioned earlier about dogs not being designed for running long distances, a human distance runner can run a HORSE to death, too.
An average runner could not run an average horse "to death", nor could a trained endurance runner run an endurance horse to death. The record for horses traveling a 100 mile course is under 6 hours -- the human record for that distance is more than double that.
Old 11-13-17, 07:53 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I have a glass patio rear door, not sure if the doggy door is possible there. I've always felt bad at the thought that a dog will be alone 9 hours a day which is a main reason why I haven't gotten one yet.

But after talking with shelters and many friends / coworkers, it supposedly isn't so bad for the dog as one would think? Considering that you come home and spend time with it doing stuff daily and bond with it.

.hank you, I may need to plan my weekends accordingly to hike instead of biking road or gravel or touring. Right now I have been getting into commuting by bike during the week and may just hike on the weekends with the dog to be appropriate.

I plan to get into mountain biking in spring of next year, and that might be the ticket to take the dog with me on those types of terrains in PA.
It's good that you are doing research and asking questions now before you decide what to do. Good job.
Old 11-13-17, 08:39 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I just hope that you're getting the dog primarily as a companion, and not just as a component to your cycling pleasure. You need to be as dedicated to the dog as you want it to be to you. Other military folks can probably attest to this. When I was in the Navy I had friends with dogs who transfered to Hawaii. Hawaii has (or at least had) a six month quarantine for pets. The people would get off work and go spend their evenings at the kennel with their dog. On weekends they'd be with the for 6-8 hours each day.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 11-14-17 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-13-17, 11:00 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Dogs are pack animals. Being alone most of the time is not great for pack animals. I have four cats, all indoor, and they spend so much time sleeping that long work days isn't that big a deal. And when they get old (my oldest just turned 20!) getting up and going from one sleep location to another is all the exercise they need.

I am not sure your lifestyle is a good match for dog.

Oh, and I spend at least $2k a year for meds, fluids, blood tests for the oldest cat.
Old 11-13-17, 11:22 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
Oh, and I spend at least $2k a year for meds, fluids, blood tests for the oldest cat.
My sister recently more than doubled that on a four year old Burmese. They now call him the six million dollar cat.

Yeah. Pets can be expensive and we tend to forget about that when buying them. My Siamese had a kidney scare earlier this year (and he's not a year old yet) - bang, there was $400 out of the week's budget.

Last edited by europa; 11-13-17 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-13-17, 11:59 PM
astrodust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Basically what you look for is

A dog with long legs and snout, lean, and a short coat. Keep in mind as a dog gets older it slows down.

I have a English setter who loves to RUN. I tried walks and even running but could not keep up with her. I got a bike attachment that allows me to keep my hands on the bike while she stays leashed to the bike and runs beside me. She can run at about 12 to 14 mph for a couple of miles before she is done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.