Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Old 12-03-19, 09:14 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Politically correct has become a culture of oppression and intolerance. There is a world of difference between feeling empathy for others, and trying to tell everyone else how to run their lives.
I hear about this a lot. Yet somehow it hasn't impacted me in the slightest. My mother taught me not be impolite and to treat everyone with respect. Those simple lessons have served me well throughout my life.

And I don't pay attention to people who are outraged on the internet. So there's no one actually telling me how to run my life. I'm sure there are any number of people who wouldn't approve of how I run my life, but I don't consult them. So I'm really not seeing this great oppression you speak of. The scourge of political correctness seems a bit mythical.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-03-19, 09:53 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I hear about this a lot. Yet somehow it hasn't impacted me in the slightest. My mother taught me not be impolite and to treat everyone with respect. Those simple lessons have served me well throughout my life.

And I don't pay attention to people who are outraged on the internet. So there's no one actually telling me how to run my life. I'm sure there are any number of people who wouldn't approve of how I run my life, but I don't consult them. So I'm really not seeing this great oppression you speak of. The scourge of political correctness seems a bit mythical.
I agrre in part with what you wrote.

There are places, especially in academia, where people self-censor for fear of offending the PC crowd. When people are afraid to speak out for fear of offending the PC crowd and risk adverse consequences democracy loses and academia suffers.

The answer to speech we don’t like (or approve of) is not censorship (whether institutionalized or self-imposed). The answer is more speech. Let ideas live or die in the marketplace of free intellectual exchange. This is the opposite of what the PC crowd seeks to do. They seek to stifle all ideas and all debate that does not conform to their notions of right and wrong.

My parents brought me to the US, from our native Cuba, so I could live in a country where I am free to speak my mind without fear of oppressors.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 12-04-19, 04:12 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I agrre in part with what you wrote.

There are places, especially in academia, where people self-censor for fear of offending the PC crowd. When people are afraid to speak out for fear of offending the PC crowd and risk adverse consequences democracy loses and academia suffers.

The answer to speech we don’t like (or approve of) is not censorship (whether institutionalized or self-imposed). The answer is more speech. Let ideas live or die in the marketplace of free intellectual exchange. This is the opposite of what the PC crowd seeks to do. They seek to stifle all ideas and all debate that does not conform to their notions of right and wrong.

My parents brought me to the US, from our native Cuba, so I could live in a country where I am free to speak my mind without fear of oppressors.
Free speech isn't without consequences. If you self-censor because you risk adverse consequences, your judgment must be working! Anything else on the topic is charged and will get this moved to P&R.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 12-04-19, 04:22 AM
mikemikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
maybe she ask for one???
Likes For mikemikes:
Old 12-04-19, 05:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I disagree. I am politically conservative. I am was born and raised in a Communist regime. I know oppression when I see it. PC has become code for repression and intolerance.

Politically correct has become a culture of oppression and intolerance. There is a world of difference between feeling empathy for others, and trying to tell everyone else how to run their lives.

I am old enough and have seen enough to know the difference between the two.
This ad is trivial, but I have seen people actually accused of being pc for objecting when someone says one race is inferior to the others. That's the textbook definition of racism, and saying that calling it racist is just pc nonsense is disgusting.

I also had to point out that I wasn't just being pc when I told a guy that I didn't appreciate his use of the term "Jew him down" in a private conversation with me. His use of the term when talking to a Jew was just plain rude.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-04-19, 07:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Challenge your preconceived notions and explore where they come from. Another term for "politically correct", as it's frequently used in conservative circles, is empathetic.
Nope. "Politically correct" Started as a movement to be more kind and considerate ... but has morphed into people who are exceedingly Un-empathetic projecting their insecurities onto everybody around them, and then attacking those people for, basically, being alive around that insecure person.

I am all about being compassionate, considering others ... But compassionate people do Not attack others whom they perceive to be uncompassionate. At best they quietly discuss those person's personal issues .... because when you are really kind, you don't fight with people or criticize people, you see people suffering and try to help[ them.

An empathic person sees someone who is angry or offensive, realizes that that person is acting out pain or discomfort, and seeks to help the person who is being offensive or aggressive.

The current BS version of "PC" is Not empathetic---it is hyperaggression excused by imaginary "micro-triggers" where some people, far from thinking of the feelings of others, demand that everyone act to protect the feelings of the subject. Total idiocy, total Unkindness, and in now way related to compassion or empathy.

As fro the commercial: Peloton is not a bike, and riding a Peloton device is not cycling. People talking about how it compares to a bike are talking about how a Nautilus machine or a Bowflex compares to a bike .... or how an Olympic-sized swimming pool compares to a bike,. Entirely different discipline.

And a lot of people like group exercise, and like to be encouraged. Different coaches have different styles. Some I find abrasive. Most I find extraneous---but I am a contrary cuss, so what I think and feel is not representative.

I took a lot of spin classes when I needed to get back into cycling and build fitness in a controlled environment (heart surgery and stuff----don't want to be on the side of the road 20 miles from home when something internal says "No more." Better to be in a gym when one can sit down, relax, and where paramedics can easily find you if needed.) A lot of people---mostly women, but maybe 3:2 ratio, not a huge imbalance---like the Style of exercise. It is low-impact, It feels exciting (music, the coach shouting encouragement, etc. are all designed to make the experience dynamic, despite it being inherently repetitious.)

I wouldn't like the leader board, because everyone is different, on different days, and trying to compete while trying to exercise is begging to hurt yourself ... but obviously a lot of people find it motivating.

And as for the home model ... yeah, no one is suggesting that poor people are the target market. This is obviously a low-level luxury item. And frankly, i'd love one, or something like it (except screw the "connectivity." I just want a "ghost rider" to pace me, and good video and audio. I don;'t need the virtual crowd or some coach yelling at me, thanks.) But a lot of people Love the feeling of being part of a group, and even more, love the anonymity that comes with not actually being in a group (No one can see my fat butt, sagging belly, and torn-up tights.)

And for me, the big deal is Convenience. The gym is two miles from my home, but I still have to get there. And once I am there, I am pretty much constrained by class length---no one wants to leave in the middle, and no one can make the class longer. If I could jump on a quality trainer any time I wanted, dial up some training class any time of day, for as long as I wanted, and then move on .....

These are what Peloton is selling .... and the commercial shows that.

Personally, I am HIGHLY offended by this commercial, because it insults by ignoring all the quadruple amputees in the world. Don't those people deserve to be represented? Does Peloton think only people with legs ride bikes?

if commercials really mattered .... honest people would be dramatically offended by Every commercial., because every commercial is based on lies and distortions. Buying a Subaru or Toyota won't make your family less dysfunctional. No specific laundry detergent will make your clothes cleaner. No product of any sort can guarantee happiness. No soft drink, body wash, body spray .... none of that will get you laid.

All Commercials Are Lies.

You want to be offended, there would be a good starting point. Those people are Lying to you.
Old 12-04-19, 08:31 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
I'm surprised that the equipment has such an attraction from the females. At least on the local news, the reporters are suggesting that bicycle related activity reduces certain other activities for females:
https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...the-solutions/

Anyone with some commonsense would know that if the person's bicycle was fitted correctly (to include the seat) that the information in the above would not apply.
Old 12-04-19, 08:37 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts

ons
There is no doubt this occurs, but it is nothing new. Social mores require some degree of self censorship. What is considered socially appropriate changes over time, but there are always strictures in place. And academics and artists have always pressed the limits.

Historically, these restraints have tended to be more based in, or at least buttressed by, the society's dominant religious beliefs. I think that has changed somewhat in our lifetime and we now see other social groups exercising greater influence on what is deemed socially appropriate. In real time, these social forces might be seen by some as being more restrictive but I don't really believe that's the case. On balance, I think academic freedom is greater now that it even has been. Certainly the sciences are much less dampened by social forces than was seen throughout much of modern human history. Self censorship is difficult to measure, but I think documented instances of institutional censorship in terms of actual sanctions has declined over time.

On its face, censorship of any sort is undesirable, but to some degree it is an essential part of maintaining a social fabric so it will always be a factor. Humans being imperfect, these social forces will always imperfect as well. But society needs them nonetheless.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-04-19, 08:39 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by tgenec86
I miss Bloom County.
Tim
Old 12-04-19, 08:48 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Did the wife in the ad seem too eager to please her husband in a slightly creepy cultish sort of way? Yes. Did it bother me to the point of anger? No. It's just a crappy commercial with bad acting. Who cares?
Old 12-04-19, 09:17 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I had seen the commercial numerous times during on-demand programming, so my demographic is a likely target. I didn't look at it at the time as anything other than something akin to the holiday Lexus and Zales ads. I've never been interested in Instagram and could care less about influencers, so I was slightly confused by the vlogging.

I don't see this as fake outrage, however. I don't doubt that some (many?) viewers could easily project an unhealthy relationship dynamic onto the commercial, you don't have to look at it to hard to fill in the blanks to read it that way. Unhealthy power dynamics in relationships are unhealthy, therefore why create a commercial that could possibly be read that way?

Have you watched commercials from the 80's recently?
Old 12-04-19, 09:33 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,472 Posts
target audience/

maybe something as simple as "haves & have nots" ,catering to the 1% rearing its unwelcoming head? where's the middle class?
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 12-04-19, 09:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Nope. "Politically correct" Started as a movement to be more kind and considerate ... but has morphed into people who are exceedingly Un-empathetic projecting their insecurities onto everybody around them, and then attacking those people for, basically, being alive around that insecure person.

I am all about being compassionate, considering others ... But compassionate people do Not attack others whom they perceive to be uncompassionate. At best they quietly discuss those person's personal issues .... because when you are really kind, you don't fight with people or criticize people, you see people suffering and try to help[ them.

An empathic person sees someone who is angry or offensive, realizes that that person is acting out pain or discomfort, and seeks to help the person who is being offensive or aggressive.

The current BS version of "PC" is Not empathetic---it is hyperaggression excused by imaginary "micro-triggers" where some people, far from thinking of the feelings of others, demand that everyone act to protect the feelings of the subject. Total idiocy, total Unkindness, and in now way related to compassion or empathy.

As fro the commercial: Peloton is not a bike, and riding a Peloton device is not cycling. People talking about how it compares to a bike are talking about how a Nautilus machine or a Bowflex compares to a bike .... or how an Olympic-sized swimming pool compares to a bike,. Entirely different discipline.

And a lot of people like group exercise, and like to be encouraged. Different coaches have different styles. Some I find abrasive. Most I find extraneous---but I am a contrary cuss, so what I think and feel is not representative.

I took a lot of spin classes when I needed to get back into cycling and build fitness in a controlled environment (heart surgery and stuff----don't want to be on the side of the road 20 miles from home when something internal says "No more." Better to be in a gym when one can sit down, relax, and where paramedics can easily find you if needed.) A lot of people---mostly women, but maybe 3:2 ratio, not a huge imbalance---like the Style of exercise. It is low-impact, It feels exciting (music, the coach shouting encouragement, etc. are all designed to make the experience dynamic, despite it being inherently repetitious.)

I wouldn't like the leader board, because everyone is different, on different days, and trying to compete while trying to exercise is begging to hurt yourself ... but obviously a lot of people find it motivating.

And as for the home model ... yeah, no one is suggesting that poor people are the target market. This is obviously a low-level luxury item. And frankly, i'd love one, or something like it (except screw the "connectivity." I just want a "ghost rider" to pace me, and good video and audio. I don;'t need the virtual crowd or some coach yelling at me, thanks.) But a lot of people Love the feeling of being part of a group, and even more, love the anonymity that comes with not actually being in a group (No one can see my fat butt, sagging belly, and torn-up tights.)

And for me, the big deal is Convenience. The gym is two miles from my home, but I still have to get there. And once I am there, I am pretty much constrained by class length---no one wants to leave in the middle, and no one can make the class longer. If I could jump on a quality trainer any time I wanted, dial up some training class any time of day, for as long as I wanted, and then move on .....

These are what Peloton is selling .... and the commercial shows that.

Personally, I am HIGHLY offended by this commercial, because it insults by ignoring all the quadruple amputees in the world. Don't those people deserve to be represented? Does Peloton think only people with legs ride bikes?

if commercials really mattered .... honest people would be dramatically offended by Every commercial., because every commercial is based on lies and distortions. Buying a Subaru or Toyota won't make your family less dysfunctional. No specific laundry detergent will make your clothes cleaner. No product of any sort can guarantee happiness. No soft drink, body wash, body spray .... none of that will get you laid.

All Commercials Are Lies.

You want to be offended, there would be a good starting point. Those people are Lying to you.

PC was never an actual movement. I first heard the term in the 1970s, and it was already being used by members of the left to deride people who were showboating with feigned outrage.

Now I think it's a game for people on the right to find jerks on the left and ascribe silliness like "microagressions" and "safe spaces" to the entire left.

This thread has taken a decidedly political turn.

I disagree with your post because I think it implies that I need to be kind to Nazis. No thanks.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-04-19, 09:46 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
IMHO, you see the back story that you are looking for.

I saw a formerly 2 income (high income) family suddenly forced to deal with the issues of a disabled child requiring 24 hour care. The Mom gave up her career (no longer the high income family they used to be) to stay home with the child and she also had to give up her spin classes. And the Peloton was kind of out of reach financially (on one income) but the husband decided to splurge and buy her the Peloton for Christmas anyway. The ending "it made all the difference" was related to the fact that she could continue her workouts.

You see what you look for.

dave

ps. I just edited this because I had used the term 'burdened with' regarding the disabled child. So the change was to avoid possible criticism regarding this wording.

Last edited by DaveLeeNC; 12-05-19 at 11:36 AM.
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 12-04-19, 10:07 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
This is very well said IMO.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 12-04-19, 10:18 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
And as for the home model ... yeah, no one is suggesting that poor people are the target market.
Several people got offended by the fact that she had it placed in a very luxurious home, saying that Peloton seemed to be marketing to the very rich and suggesting that the average person would not be able to afford one. Now look at the Chevrolet commercial where a guy buys himself a very expensive pickup truck and buys his wife a top of the line SUV that's parked in front of a multi-million dollar home. No one seems to be offended by that. Maybe it's because the wife liked the pickup more than the SUV and decided that she was going to get it and leave the SUV for her husband.

..... if commercials really mattered .... honest people would be dramatically offended by Every commercial., because every commercial is based on lies and distortions. Buying a Subaru or Toyota won't make your family less dysfunctional. No specific laundry detergent will make your clothes cleaner. No product of any sort can guarantee happiness. No soft drink, body wash, body spray .... none of that will get you laid.

All Commercials Are Lies. .....
Lies and distortions? You mean like a commercial with a 20 something model telling everyone how wonderful the wrinkle cream she uses works on removing all her facial wrinkles? If I was a woman, I would seriously be offended by that type of BS marketing.

In my opinion ... it's just a commercial - get over it!

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 12-04-19, 10:19 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
PC was never an actual movement. I first heard the term in the 1970s, and it was already being used by members of the left to deride people who were showboating with feigned outrage.
Yeah, the term goes back even farther, and to the best of my knowledge has always carried the accusation that a person's motives for speaking and acting in a certain way were more strategic than sincere. "Politically correct" is not a term I would spend much effort to "take back" or otherwise "rehabilitate."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 12-04-19 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-04-19, 10:44 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Peloton loses $942MILLION of its market value in a single day amid furious backlash over its 'sexist' holiday ad that caused stock to drop nearly 10 per cent

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nearly-10.html
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 12-04-19, 10:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
+2. I finally saw the ad and a piece on the news about it this morning. One thing that was mentioned is that the ad allegedly (according to some) body shames because the woman looks fit. WTH? You can be trim and not be "physically fit" in other ways. And I too can also make up a bunch of back stories.

The part about her looking nervous the first time made me think of my first spin class, which my then girlfriend suggested I try because it was really hard. (Or was she body shaming me and I just missed it?) Despite riding "seriously" since 1987 I was nervous as doo doo my first time. Are women not allowed to portrayed as nervous about something new--a natural human emotion--less the spot be considered sexist?

BTW...Are people getting upset about the Peloton Christmas morning ad? After all, it does not acknowledge Chanukah or Kwanza.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-04-19, 10:51 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81

Peloton loses $942MILLION of its market value in a single day amid furious backlash over its 'sexist' holiday ad that caused stock to drop nearly 10 per cent

Time to buy.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-04-19, 11:00 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

SoulCycle - SNL

Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 12-04-19, 11:04 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mikemikes
maybe she ask for one???
IKR. The news story about the ad I saw today mentioned that many people are assuming she didn't ask for one. The fact that she seems so surprised doesn't mean she didn't ask. It's just as plausible that she asked or dropped hints but never thought he would spring for something that expensive.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-04-19, 11:05 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
What cheap Zwift option are you talking about? I was under the impression that there lowest cost for that was $500 for a connected mag trainer.
https://www.clevertraining.com/kinet...-fluid-trainer

On sale for under 3 bills. You can find even cheaper used ones on eBay, I'm sure. Hook it up to a computer, which if you're on BF, you obviously already have.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-04-19, 11:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Might have something to do with the stock having spiked to its all-time high the day before. Basically, that $942 million of value only existed for about 24 hours.

OTOH, this really is an image-driven brand, as evidenced by the fact that their ads almost always show the bike in a place of prominence in a luxurious home. It's possible that the brand is especially vulnerable to negative connotations--the target audience for that ad was the gift-givers, and they might really be scared off by the backlash. "This expensive gift might buy you resentment" is not a good message for your brand.
Old 12-04-19, 11:11 AM
indyfabz

SoulCycle - SNL=13px

There is one not that far from my house. I love the Gandhi quote.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.