Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 Compatible Carbon Handlebars for fully internal wiring

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-20, 01:35 PM
sc007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I am in the market for a fully internal Di2 compatible carbon handlebar that also fits the Shimano bar end junction box (RS910). At the moment the only ones I know about are the Pro Vibe carbon bars which have all the holes for Di2 (at the shifters and the underside of the tops). I thought the Easton (EC70 and EC90) would work but apparently you can't internally wire the bar end junction box. Looking forward to any suggestions. Aero flat tops would be a bonus (similar to the Pro Vibe Aero Carbon). Just to be clear, I am not looking for a once piece stem/handlebar combo.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-20, 01:52 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by sc007
Hi,

I am in the market for a fully internal Di2 compatible carbon handlebar that also fits the Shimano bar end junction box (RS910). At the moment the only ones I know about are the Pro Vibe carbon bars which have all the holes for Di2 (at the shifters and the underside of the tops). I thought the Easton (EC70 and EC90) would work but apparently you can't internally wire the bar end junction box. Looking forward to any suggestions. Aero flat tops would be a bonus (similar to the Pro Vibe Aero Carbon). Just to be clear, I am not looking for a once piece stem/handlebar combo.

Thanks!
Enve SES bars. I don’t run mine that way but instructions came in the box to be able to do that.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 04-03-20, 02:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I thought the Easton (EC70 and EC90) would work but apparently you can't internally wire the bar end junction box.
I recently bought/installed (not Di2) some EC70 Aero bars and this struck me as curious - I didn't see why they wouldn't be compatible. I looked online and see a mention or two of blockage/blocking in the lever clamping area, but I distinctly remember blowing in to one bar-end (don't ask) and there didn't seem to be any obstruction at all. I wonder if they changed the lay-up process or something?
Old 04-03-20, 09:27 PM
sc007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colnago62
Enve SES bars. I don’t run mine that way but instructions came in the box to be able to do that.
Sweet looking bars, but I don't seem to like the end of the drops where the plug is, looks a bit odd with how they taper into a point. Can this part be cut off? I am looking at the product photos and it looks like there is a circle marking, is that for cutting off a small piece from the end?
Old 04-03-20, 09:29 PM
sc007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I recently bought/installed (not Di2) some EC70 Aero bars and this struck me as curious - I didn't see why they wouldn't be compatible. I looked online and see a mention or two of blockage/blocking in the lever clamping area, but I distinctly remember blowing in to one bar-end (don't ask) and there didn't seem to be any obstruction at all. I wonder if they changed the lay-up process or something?
I've only read a review that mentioned that the bar end isn't connectable internally because of blockage. I don't have any retailers near me that carry them so I can see for myself. Here is the link to the article

Easton needs to update the cable routing for the EC90 Aero handlebar. It is also not compatible with the new bar end junction box for Shimano Di2 due to the 3 piece construction of the EC90 Aero which makes the bar solid at the shifter clamping area. There’s not as much concern of over clamping but no way to run Di2 wires to the ends of the bar.
Easton EC90 Aero Handlebar Review - The Wannabe Racer
Old 04-03-20, 09:47 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Aluminum bars are more shock resistant than CF. Both are built way strong enough so that the added fatigue resistance of CF doesn't matter. Today while working on my Madone, I weighed the carbon bar and stem with an equal size aluminum Cannondale stem and FSA bar and was rather surprised to find out they weighed exactly the same. Then I discovered a narrower specialized bar and it was 40 grams lighter. This makes the Aluminum bar and stem lighter than the integrated carbon bar I ordered. So you might want to think on that. Though the specialize bar has no internal runs I'm sure that they're available. And I find aluminum bars a great deal more comfortable than the oddly shaped carbon stuff on the market that is all made in China anyway.
Old 04-03-20, 09:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Sweet looking bars, but I don't seem to like the end of the drops where the plug is, looks a bit odd with how they taper into a point. Can this part be cut off? I am looking at the product photos and it looks like there is a circle marking, is that for cutting off a small piece from the end?
The Enve guy at Sea Otter told me they could be cut off. He also referred to them in terms of how they appear, which made me appreciate their sense of humor.
Old 04-03-20, 09:52 PM
WhyFi

I've only read a review that mentioned that the bar end isn't connectable internally because of blockage. I don't have any retailers near me that carry them so I can see for myself. Here is the link to the article
Yup, I saw that, too. But like I said - maybe they changed the lay-up.

Old 04-03-20, 09:58 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by wgscott
The Enve guy at Sea Otter told me they could be cut off. He also referred to them in terms of how they appear, which made me appreciate their sense of humor.
Gotta complete the tri-phallus look with their aero stem.
Old 04-03-20, 10:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The bars end like any others. Instead of giving you a flat botton like thing to close the ends of the drops off, they give you a silicone penis tip. When you're wrapping the bars, that plug makes the end of the tape disappear. Supposedly they're also good for leaning your bike against the car by the bar end plug, I've never done that, there are more convenient ways. Anyway, you don't need a saw, they just pull right out.

The SES bars are sized differently. If you buy them in 44 cm, that's measured plug to plug. The drops are flared, so the hoods are much more narrow than the sizing would have you think. All of that puts you on a more aerodynamic position.

Finally, as a general rule, wing bars are "more comfortable" because they're more flexy. These are solid. Their other road bars are actually more comfortable. But lower tech.
Old 04-04-20, 09:27 AM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
I am planning on doing this exact thing myself, swapping my aluminum bar and stem for the Cervelo carbon bar and stem and am a little concerned about the internal wiring routing. Makes me hesitant to tear the front end apart and then not be able to finish the job.
Old 04-04-20, 11:19 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The bars end like any others. Instead of giving you a flat botton like thing to close the ends of the drops off, they give you a silicone penis tip. When you're wrapping the bars, that plug makes the end of the tape disappear. Supposedly they're also good for leaning your bike against the car by the bar end plug, I've never done that, there are more convenient ways. Anyway, you don't need a saw, they just pull right out.

The SES bars are sized differently. If you buy them in 44 cm, that's measured plug to plug. The drops are flared, so the hoods are much more narrow than the sizing would have you think. All of that puts you on a more aerodynamic position.

Finally, as a general rule, wing bars are "more comfortable" because they're more flexy. These are solid. Their other road bars are actually more comfortable. But lower tech.
I had a heck of a time getting the cables through the bars as they would jam easily and the junction box does not help. I would not try it again without the routing aid. I pared mine with a Zipp SL dropped sprint stem. They are the stiffest bars I have ever touched.
Old 04-04-20, 01:39 PM
colnago62

yes, you cut off the ends if using the new junction box. My junction box is in the downtube so I didn’t have to do that.
Old 04-04-20, 01:48 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by popeye
I had a heck of a time getting the cables through the bars as they would jam easily and the junction box does not help. I would not try it again without the routing aid. I pared mine with a Zipp SL dropped sprint stem. They are the stiffest bars I have ever touched.
A small company in Oregon called Dixie Flyer makes a track bar that will also fit brake levers. They would be great for a crit. bike. I have a those bars on my track bike with a Pro Vibe carbon stem. It is very stiff. It feels like steel stem and bars stiff.
Old 04-05-20, 01:45 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
ControlTech Cougar Aero carbon bar.

They have the same in alu.

Also found in their gravel EXL carbon bar.
Old 04-05-20, 09:10 AM
eflayer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
These bars from China are drilled for Di2 routing

I know the controversy about Chinese quality but I have a 40cm set of these bars in my possession. I have not tried to run wires through them yet but they look to be well made and purpose-built for internal routing...and they look a lot like $400 one from Enve. Mine are for sale for less than I bought them for cuz I ordered the wrong size.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSEEK-Carb...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.enve.com/en/products/ses-aero-road-bar-v2/
Old 04-06-20, 08:43 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 286 Posts
I asked this same question a few weeks ago on this forum... I ended up buying the Pro Vibe carbon bars and the Pro Vibe aluminum stem. Super clean look and they look, well, very pro! I figured you can't go wrong with Shimano's in-house brand...
Old 04-06-20, 09:54 AM
rbrnut

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Shimano Pro series of bars/stems have updated versions that are fully Di2 (internal wiring) compatible.
Old 04-06-20, 10:10 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Specialized S-Works bars are compatible with Shimano Di2 internal wiring.
Old 04-06-20, 01:48 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I just got an EC90 with the bar end junction installed. There may be some of the shaping bladder still in the bar, but that can be cleaned out to allow access for the wire to connect to the junction.
Old 04-06-20, 02:38 PM
RiceAWay

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Looking on Amazone, this appears to be what you're looking for. https://www.amazon.com/EC90-Handleba...2C215&sr=8-103
Old 04-06-20, 05:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Looking on Amazone, this appears to be what you're looking for.
Nothing inspires confidence more than a no-name carbon handlebar that pretends to be Eastons, with a description that appears to come from another language via Google translate.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-07-20, 02:49 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
3T Superergo bars are also Di2 compatible.
Old 04-07-20, 04:25 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Nothing inspires confidence more than a no-name carbon handlebar that pretends to be Eastons, with a description that appears to come from another language via Google translate.
At least it has great tortuosity!

I have a set of EC70 bars (bought november 2019) and they indeed to have some blockage - looks like it is still possible to run a Di2 wire through though, so I'll (try to) install the EW-RS910 sometime this month.
(if my frame arrives this month..)
Old 04-12-20, 09:37 PM
sc007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all your feedback people! I've decided to go with the Pro Vibe Aero bar as they were on sale.