Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New bike, but riding it feels crunchy

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New bike, but riding it feels crunchy

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 06:33 PM
SBPiano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did take a video and sent it to some mechanics. They said it did not seem like anything was wrong, and I agree, you cannot tell from a video turning the cranks, because it shifts fine, sounds fine, looks fine. I am kind of sick of being particular because it is making me a little obsessive. That's ok though, I have kind of given up but am frustrated that this problem is even there. In time I will probably get a Shiftmate and just use a 9 speed cassette.
Old 08-12-20, 09:18 PM
SBPiano

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SBPiano
I did take a video and sent it to some mechanics. They said it did not seem like anything was wrong, and I agree, you cannot tell from a video turning the cranks, because it shifts fine, sounds fine, looks fine. I am kind of sick of being particular because it is making me a little obsessive. That's ok though, I have kind of given up but am frustrated that this problem is even there. In time I will probably get a Shiftmate and just use a 9 speed cassette.
ok, so I just read from Sheldon browns website, on certain Shimano derailleurs you can adjust the cable pull ratio without using a device like a shiftmate. You just have to adjust where the cable is tightened against the nut. I did that, and now the indexing is changed enough so I can use my 9 speed cassette with 8 speed shifters, minus 1 gear. No jumping or skipping of gears like before with the 9 speed cassette.
Old 08-12-20, 10:32 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by SBPiano
ok, so I just read from Sheldon browns website, on certain Shimano derailleurs you can adjust the cable pull ratio without using a device like a shiftmate. You just have to adjust where the cable is tightened against the nut. I did that, and now the indexing is changed enough so I can use my 9 speed cassette with 8 speed shifters, minus 1 gear. No jumping or skipping of gears like before with the 9 speed cassette.
Yep. I’ve never done the hubbub alternate routing on a 9 speed cassette, but it is supposed to work.

Congrats on a nice work around!

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-l...gears/shimergo

Scroll down to the Mix n Match Shimano Mechs table.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-12-20 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-12-20, 10:50 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m glad this works.

Where this can really help is where someone has a 7 speed freehub body (HG) and wants to run 8 speeds. Re-spacing the 8 speed cassette to 9 speed should fit (8 of 9). Then just run 8 speed shifters.

I had forgotten about the hubbub routing until you brought up your 9 speed and the article refreshed my memory.

John

Edit Added: Of course 9 speed shifters would work without hubbub.
Old 08-13-20, 12:51 PM
SBPiano

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! I will give an update if everything works out long term.
Old 08-14-20, 06:49 PM
JimOfOakCreek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to add something that may seem simple minded. My bike which I am refurbishing also sounded crunchy. I tried everything, adjusted front and rear derailler, checked and double checked clearances on the chain.

It’s a 12 year old bike but I never oiled the chain. So, after carefully adding a drop to each link I tested it out. The crunchy sound was gone, just smooth silence.

I recommend checking your chain out.
Old 08-14-20, 07:21 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Incorrectly routed chain thru rear DR hanger could be crunchy as well.
But we don't know if the crunchy is while coasting or pedaling, do we?
I did that once....it was crunchy...ooops.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-21-20, 07:22 PM
SBPiano

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After a couple of weeks, I changed some components on the bike to match my riding style.

I installed a mountain bike crank with only the granny gear (22t) and a bash guard. Since I only use my bike for exercising uphill, I only really need the granny gear. Also, I removed my front derailleur so I can shift into all the high gears without chain rub.

After doing this I figured out I can use the 6 highest gears (on a 11-34t cassette). After that the gears start so sound funny because of the chainline or the fact my rear derailleur cannot handle a 34t cog. It all feels good though.

I figured that I could buy a new 11-34t (Shimano cs-hg400) cassette and replace the older one (Shimano cs-m770) I had been using to test on my bike. I also put on an unused chain (Shimano cn-7701) that had been sitting around for a while. Unfortunately this combination (new cs-hg400 and new cn-7701) brought back the original problem, which got me thinking that maybe the older cassette I am using on my mountain bike is either broken in, or maybe a particularly good component (Shimano cs-m770).

On all the new cassettes/new chain combinations I have tried, there is the problem of a grinding feeling while pedaling. Do I need to break in the cassette to get that feeling of my older cassette, even if the chain I am using with it is new?
Old 08-22-20, 11:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
You could just ride it and when something finally breaks enough to keep you from riding then you'll know more certainly that might be what needs fixing.