Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

7 days/week program to keep fit

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 04-20-20, 11:16 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts

I'm 69 yrs old, retired. Due to the pandemic, I've decided to go out as little as possible, included cycling. I used to do about 1000kms a month, commuting, group rides, long weekend rides, etc. Now I switched to my dumb fan trainer with cadence and HRM, 50-60 minutes every day. My standard workout is 15 mins warm up, 30 mins pyramids or intervals or high cadence workouts, 10 mins cool down. What program would you recommend to keep fit? My goal is not to lose weight or to be in peak form, just to don't let my cycling fitness go down too much.
Old 04-20-20, 02:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
I'm 100% indoor cycling right now, too. I started with killing the time by doing some sort of timed/interval structure, but could never tolerate more than 45 minutes. A few weeks ago, I set myself up on the Zwift app, and it's significantly boosted my motivation. Last weekend, I rode for almost 2 hours, and stopped only because I ran out of water. Being able to ride with others - even if it's in a virtual world - makes a big difference for me. I also enjoy the variety of courses. I'm pushing myself longer and harder than I ever had the mental fortitude for without the visual simulation. I'm not just maintaining fitness, I'm improving it.

Although Swift is best with a "smart" trainer, I've gotten along just fine with an "dumb" and ancient wind trainer, my speed/cadence sensor, and a HR strap.
Old 04-22-20, 03:18 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
For free you can do the GCN training sessions. They’re all on YouTube and easy to find.
Old 04-25-20, 01:34 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Check out TrainerRoad. It has a bunch of workouts that can be designed for your specific goals.
Old 04-26-20, 08:46 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Check out TrainerRoad. It has a bunch of workouts that can be designed for your specific goals.

Will TR work with a regular trainer, as in the OP’s description of his “dumb fan trainer”? I really don’t know. It might work with limited feedback data, like no power estimate, and no resistance changes obviously. Is there a “non-smart” version of TR? (I honestly never looked.) A regular, non-smart, wheel-on trainer with HR and cadence/wheel speed sensors can benefit from some of the subscription training apps if paired with appropriate hardware (phone, tablet, computer with ANT+ receiver, etc.) but yet overall experience is rather limited.
Old 04-28-20, 10:00 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Thanks all! Those training programs are great for those looking to reach race form, but my goal is something less aggressive, just 1hr/day every day so as to not lose that much. Maybe I could adapt them, working at 3/4 effort... Another thing I noticed is my HR on the trainer is much lower, 15bpm or so, than on the road, at the same perceived effort.
Old 04-29-20, 09:05 PM
Don23

Bikes: 2019 Bianchi Oltre XR3 Disc DI2; 1975 Bianchi IDK what

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Thanks all! Those training programs are great for those looking to reach race form, but my goal is something less aggressive, just 1hr/day every day so as to not lose that much. Maybe I could adapt them, working at 3/4 effort... Another thing I noticed is my HR on the trainer is much lower, 15bpm or so, than on the road, at the same perceived effort.
You can ride however you want on Zwift. Every day is a new geographic location or you can ride in their virtual Watopia. They have workout plans if you like, but you can just go out and ride at your own pace too.
Likes For Don23:
Old 08-26-20, 09:23 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Thanks all! Those training programs are great for those looking to reach race form, but my goal is something less aggressive,
TOTALLY
There is a need for laying out a FITNESS plan not a Race Training model.
With Cydesdales and >50's that is a big deal
Also the TR and Karoo models are $$ with unclear distinctions to the FreeMium model and often annual rather than short term subs that are off putting.
I spent way to long vetting a plan and just blew it off to use a timer and a clip board

Of note Garmin is introducing Resp rate display and logging and this may prove to be a useful metric vs RPE as a goal, as breathing is a good practical metric.
Old 09-02-20, 06:34 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Reynolds I know this post is a bit old... Are you still keeping yourself inside? Do you live in an urban area? If you live in an urban area where it would be hard for you to stay away from others while riding, I can understand staying inside. However, if you can find riding routes outdoors where you're pretty much alone, your risk of getting COVID or anything else is likely non-existent. The benefits of riding outside in the fresh air with sunshine far out-way the costs in terms of you bodies health and immunity.

I started taking advantaged of my bicycle computers turn-by-turn navigation to explore riding in rural Wisconsin farm country that I had not previously ridden in. I plan the routes in advance of my ride so I can just ride w/o having to look at a map. I've done several 60+ miles rides this past month where I barely see any people at all (I see mostly cows) and it's been wonderful! Obviously, that may or may not be an option for you depending on where you live. With Winter fast approaching, I'd hate for you to miss-out on the longer days before they're gone (once again, depending on where you live.)