Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gravel 1x vs Gravel 2x as Road Bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gravel 1x vs Gravel 2x as Road Bike?

Old 09-13-20, 08:07 PM
partyanimal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ERabbit
Beautiful bikes, I have always been a fan of nice lug work. Did you order direct to consumer?
You can't order through them, they make you order through your LBS.
Old 09-13-20, 08:11 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Bikes: Felt Brogham, Vitus Dura Ace Build, Vintage Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by surak
I don't have any gravel bikes, per se, but I recently bought a 1x CX bike mainly for road with an option in mind to handle the tamer off-road stuff. I also have more conventional 2x bikes. My 1x is 11sp with 40t chainring up front and 11-36t cassette. For solo riding, including decent climbs, I haven't noticed any downside. I don't go nearly as fast downhill, obviously, which doesn't matter to me. Uphill, the 40-36 ratio has been a non-issue, maybe because I've done a huge amount of low cadence climbing this year. It helps that no FD means a lighter bike. With a bigger cassette, maybe the tooth jumps will bother you -- again, it's something that doesn't matter to me when riding solo.

You would think that a 2x bike is more suitable for road riding, especially in a paceline, but one of the ride leaders of a group I rode with in the before times used a 1x bike and during a ride I even remarked how smooth his lead was. He would drop back on steeper terrain, but groups usually separate then anyway.

That's a really good example, it seems like it could be fairly cost effective to just change the rear cassette or front chain ring
Old 09-13-20, 08:15 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
For road...either will work. IIRC the gear spacing of 1x12 versus 1x11 ends up being close and the range is close too.
Would it make sense to have 1x12 in the rear to have a higher final drive do you think?
Old 09-13-20, 08:16 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
When riding on pavement, I often find myself on the big chainring and smallest cog on the cassette (48T up front and 11T in back). You need a bigger chainring than 40T to ride it on pavement. You say you are physically fit. I'm in pretty good shape too, but I'm also 70 years old. If I'm riding in the highest gears with my 48T chainring, you would not be happy with a 40T chainring. When it comes time to replace the chainring, I'm even considering going to 50/34 because I'm in high gear so much of the time.
40-11 is 26mph @ 90 rpm. 48-11 is 32mph. Good on you to ride at your age (hope I can be as lucky), but anyone slower than a pro who actually pedals would be fine with a 40t chainring.
Likes For surak:
Old 09-13-20, 08:34 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
40-11 is 26mph @ 90 rpm. 48-11 is 32mph. Good on you to ride at your age (hope I can be as lucky), but anyone slower than a pro who actually pedals would be fine with a 40t chainring.
I'm riding on rolling terrain, no long hills, but lots of ups and downs, and do get well above 30mph in places. But I'm not riding 48-11 on flat terrain. On a recent very flat 31 mile ride I averaged a bit over 18mph, which is know is slow for lots of riders. If the OP is riding very flat terrain, the 40T chainring might work great, but on even moderate hills, it would be desirable to have something bigger than 40T. I'm saying that from my own experience. But you do raise a good point. The gearing that you want depends a lot on the terrain over which you're riding.
Likes For Random11:
Old 09-13-20, 08:49 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You definitely want to get the 2x chainrings. My only bike is a Specialized Diverge Comp, which I ride mainly on paved roads, though sometimes off-road. I like it as a road bike, and the option to go off-road is very nice. When riding on pavement, I often find myself on the big chainring and smallest cog on the cassette (48T up front and 11T in back). You need a bigger chainring than 40T to ride it on pavement. You say you are physically fit. I'm in pretty good shape too, but I'm also 70 years old. If I'm riding in the highest gears with my 48T chainring, you would not be happy with a 40T chainring. When it comes time to replace the chainring, I'm even considering going to 50/34 because I'm in high gear so much of the time.
Thats my worry is that I will out spin a 40t up front. Do you have the Comp Carbon with the 2x? Right now the only Diverge's I have been able to find is 1 E5 Comp which is 1x and then the Comp Carbon which is 2x but at $3,900 is a little out of my price range.

Rock n Road could convert the E5 Comp to 2x for about $600 - essentially new chain rings up front, new lever (the one on the E5 is a dummy lever so only brake), cables, front derailer, etc, so all in it would be about $2,800
Old 09-13-20, 08:59 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Do you have the Comp Carbon with the 2x? ...so all in it would be about $2,800
Yes, that's what I have. It has an Ultegra drive train, but the Diverge Sport Carbon lists for $2900 on the Specialized website. It has a 105 drive train, which is probably just about as good. That is actually what I was intending to buy, but my LBS had the Ultegra bike in stock and put it on sale, and when the price went down I bought that.
Likes For Random11:
Old 09-13-20, 09:04 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So the 40t front and 11-42 rear would be spinning 26mph @ 90rpm? Do you use sheldon browns calculator to find out estimated top speed, I think I would be fine with 26mph and again could always change it out if need be.

There's currently nothing available online or in stores in my size 58cm that i've found in the Diverge with anything except 1x - I do still really like the looks of that particular bike.

Giant same story except just no bikes in general

Trek I have the option of ALR5 or SL5 in stock, both of which I rode today. The SL5 would essentially be about the same price as doing the diverge and adding 2x except the SL5 is a carbon frame, comes with tubeless ready wheels & tires, etc. It didn't really sing to me when I rode it but maybe that's because riding around a parking lot isn't that exciting
Old 09-13-20, 09:11 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, that's what I have. It has an Ultegra drive train, but the Diverge Sport Carbon lists for $2900 on the Specialized website. It has a 105 drive train, which is probably just about as good. That is actually what I was intending to buy, but my LBS had the Ultegra bike in stock and put it on sale, and when the price went down I bought that.
The diverge sport carbon seems like it would be the perfect fit. I guess I could practice patience and order one lol
Old 09-13-20, 09:17 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
I don't 100% know the answer to that just yet either, I have been really used to riding a custom single speed I built, which is why I'm wondering if I would be limiting myself to only 1x 11.
So what is your single speed setup and how fast do you go with it?

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-13-20, 09:25 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

So the 40t front and 11-42 rear would be spinning 26mph @ 90rpm? Do you use sheldon browns calculator to find out estimated top speed, I think I would be fine with 26mph and again could always change it out if need be.
Bicycle Bike Gear Ratio Speed and Cadence Calculator with 32mm tires.
​​​​​​
Likes For surak:
Old 09-13-20, 09:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
I like to spin a cadence of 95-100, except on hills where 82-87 feels best, so I prefer 2x since it allows me to do that at every speed from 6 mph to 36 mph. My newest bike has 52/36 and an 11-34 cassette, which I'm finding really nice for everything from climbing up walls to riding down them. I'm also 214 lbs, so my speed is more a function of gravity than it may be with a lot of other folks. So, if you're really planning on a lot of time on asphalt, I'd suggest a 2x with a big enough high gear that you don't spin out on most descents, and a small enough small gear to get to the top of them.

Currently I have 2 bikes with 53/39 and 12-30 10sp cassettes, which have the best gear spread. Also, a 50/34 with 12-27 10sp, which I spin out too early on, but otherwise I like. And the aforementioned 52/36, which has the widest gearing but one or two points where the steps between the gears are too big - like jumping from <85 to >100.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-13-20, 11:20 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
you're in Newport Beach? there ain't any gravel roads here
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 09-13-20, 11:38 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aclinjury
you're in Newport Beach? there ain't any gravel roads here
Right, like I said in my first post, I am looking to use a gravel bike as my "road bike" I like the idea of a little bit more relaxed geometry, bigger tires, etc.
Old 09-13-20, 11:40 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicycle Bike Gear Ratio Speed and Cadence Calculator with 32mm tires.
​​​​​​
Thank you my friend
Old 09-14-20, 06:38 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Get a Double. Those big mountain bike cassettes have huge gaps between gears. I still like my 12-25 9 speed with 34/48 up front. I tried an 11-34 for a loaded tour and switched back as soon as the panniers were removed.
Old 09-14-20, 07:17 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I road bike my Revolt and love it! Def 2x for dual purpose use, I can spin the 48t to 35mph, and have plenty of lowend with the 32-34 for climbing.

As for the Defy, it can do some gravel, but the Revolt does it better (better geo, more tire clearance). That's why I sold my Defy and just ride the Revolt now.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 09-14-20, 08:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
2x. There is just no benefit to 1x for pavement. And there is no benefit for 1x on gravel in most situations/areas. Its a trend pulled from MTB.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-14-20, 08:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I dont see many recreational/enthusiast cyclists spinning at 90rpm thru a ride. I get that they should all improve their spinning, but most are in the 60-80 range. I just mention this since I see 90rpm used as a common reference on this site.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-14-20, 09:47 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Right, like I said in my first post, I am looking to use a gravel bike as my "road bike" I like the idea of a little bit more relaxed geometry, bigger tires, etc.
In the Socal beach areas, most people either get a road bike (could be an endurance one), or a beach cruiser. I see very few 1x bikes on the road. I can honestly say I've seen 1 person riding a high-end 1x crossbike on the streets of Socal.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 09-14-20, 10:10 AM
surak

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont see many recreational/enthusiast cyclists spinning at 90rpm thru a ride. I get that they should all improve their spinning, but most are in the 60-80 range. I just mention this since I see 90rpm used as a common reference on this site.
​​​​​​90 rpm is a reasonable max cadence. It's common on this site for people to claim they need World Tour gearing when in actuality they are nowhere close to spinning out. To put it in your terms, I don't see many recreational/enthusiast riders going 26mph, let alone 32mph thru a ride, so a 40t and definitely a 48t are not limiting factors.

The talk about needing 50-11 is even more misguided. Going downhill, you'll be hard pressed to contribute a significant amount of power no matter the gearing, and that power will have negligible impact on speed due to the overwhelming amount you need to overcome drag. Maximizing downhill speed is simply not something to be concerned about. I wonder how many people who think they need it have power meters and actually looked at their downhill numbers.
Likes For surak:
Old 09-14-20, 10:49 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the Socal beach areas, most people either get a road bike (could be an endurance one), or a beach cruiser. I see very few 1x bikes on the road. I can honestly say I've seen 1 person riding a high-end 1x crossbike on the streets of Socal.

Yeah, i've lived here my entire life and grew up riding a beach cruiser everywhere, literally everywhere, miles and miles and miles on beach cruisers. I've decided to go with a 2x setup, it just seems to be a lot more practical overall
Old 09-14-20, 10:51 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
2x. There is just no benefit to 1x for pavement. And there is no benefit for 1x on gravel in most situations/areas. Its a trend pulled from MTB.
Yeah as much as I like it aesthetically, I am going to go with a 2x setup. I will save the 1x for my single speed, dj mtb, and beach cruiser
Old 09-14-20, 10:52 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I road bike my Revolt and love it! Def 2x for dual purpose use, I can spin the 48t to 35mph, and have plenty of lowend with the 32-34 for climbing.

As for the Defy, it can do some gravel, but the Revolt does it better (better geo, more tire clearance). That's why I sold my Defy and just ride the Revolt now.
I definitely like the idea of the gravel bike as the go to all around road bike. Thanks for the insight!
Likes For ERabbit:
Old 09-14-20, 11:20 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I see very few 1x bikes on the road. I can honestly say I've seen 1 person riding a high-end 1x crossbike on the streets of Socal.
Was it me? I hope it was me. I mean, my 1X Ritchey has 21,000 miles on it. It's done Onyx Summit, the IE to San Diego, it's been to the Grand Canyon, it's been everywhere. I've never felt particularly limited by the gearing. I have on many occasions felt severely limited by the engine.

And I'd be the first person to say that 1X probably isn't for everyone. But the combo of hacking at it or eschewing it based on perceived limitations... as a solo rider, I don't get it. Most people don't use all the gears they have. I use 'em all on nearly every ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.