Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized frame sizing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized frame sizing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 08:18 PM
bguiliano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized frame sizing

Looking for a used road bike
found an Allez comp Columbus steel 53cm frame. I am somewhere around 5’9 and 5 10

i think this might be too small. But wanted to see if it’s doable because i think it might be a good deal.

Thanks
Old 08-29-20, 10:46 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
There are some people at that height that could use that frame and some (probably most) that couldn't.
Impossible to tell which category you would be in from the information given.
Old 08-30-20, 11:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Maybe. Are you getting it at a price that you can throw the bike away if you later get enough experience to realize it is not the right size? Or just not the bike for you?
Old 08-30-20, 04:35 PM
drewtk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
If you already have a road bike that fits you well, you should compare the geometry of that bike to this Allez. But if this is your first bike, couple of comments. The first is that a "53" sounds too small for your height, but you have to actually check the top tube length to confirm it's really a 53. Some bike manufacturers call a size a "53" or whatever, but the actual size doesn't match that.

The second is that every one is different, even at the same height. My wife and I are the exact same height, yet she has her seat height one inch higher than me because my legs are shorter than hers. That also means that the a bike might fit her just fine but not me.
Old 08-31-20, 08:14 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by bguiliano
Looking for a used road bike
found an Allez comp Columbus steel 53cm frame. I am somewhere around 5’9 and 5 10

i think this might be too small. But wanted to see if it’s doable because i think it might be a good deal.

Thanks
I'm 5'9.5" and ride a 363mm reach dropbar, but only because my inseam is 34".

It may fit you ok, or may not. Depending on your proportions and a little on your previous time riding a drop bar position.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 08-31-20 at 08:15 PM. Reason: txt
Old 09-01-20, 08:41 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by drewtk
If you already have a road bike that fits you well, you should compare the geometry of that bike to this Allez. But if this is your first bike, couple of comments. The first is that a "53" sounds too small for your height, but you have to actually check the top tube length to confirm it's really a 53. Some bike manufacturers call a size a "53" or whatever, but the actual size doesn't match that.

The second is that every one is different, even at the same height. My wife and I are the exact same height, yet she has her seat height one inch higher than me because my legs are shorter than hers. That also means that the a bike might fit her just fine but not me.
This is key. An example is the Orbea Orca that I ride, is a 53cm but the effective top tube is 55cm.

Otherwise not knowing your proportions and specifically the frame you're looking it, doesn't give enough information to say it fits or not.