Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Local Shop didn't know what a Cable hanger Was

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-29-20, 08:24 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

I have been setting up a craigslist buy of a mid-90s Rocky Mountain Sherpa, changed the handlebars to a riser and stem, from the original Quill because I got a new handlebar and I wanted to raise them little. When I removed the quill one I lost the brake cable holder, I needed to get a front cable hanger, so I went to my LBS and they had no idea what I was talking about, I had to explain it to them and they said all the new bikes were different, but I would have thought that they would be doing repairs on all kinds of bikes and would know what a cable hanger was. We're not talking about a bike made in the 1920s here. Anyways, I did get a bottle cage and a mirror and came home and ordered the cable hanger from Amazon.
Old 08-29-20, 08:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Hopefully you took the opportunity to get a fork mounted hanger.
Old 08-29-20, 09:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I am guessing it probably wasn't the entire shop but possibly someone new to the industry. We all start somewhere. Granted if they talked to multiple people and nobody knew that is a problem but I doubt that is the case. Me I like these ones: https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...-cable-hanger/
Old 08-29-20, 09:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Agreed that it takes some time in the trenches as well as a like of history before your timer to have an understanding of the range of bike stuff. I was drawn to patents long ago and still find "new" stuff that rides the coat tails of old designs. But this type of looking back to see ahead isn't what most people (and younger people specifically) are taught to value. Andy
Old 08-29-20, 09:47 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am guessing it probably wasn't the entire shop but possibly someone new to the industry. We all start somewhere. Granted if they talked to multiple people and nobody knew that is a problem but I doubt that is the case. Me I like these ones: https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...-cable-hanger/
As capable as the young guys at my shop are I'm guessing they wouldn't have a clue either. It takes some time to 'experience' all of the different things that exist in the cycling world. We have 3 'old' mechanics...we're all 57. We try to teach the young guys at every opportunity.
And yes, the Paul's hanger is a sweet piece for sure.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-29-20, 09:50 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
A mechanic with a couple of years of experience and who gives a **** will know what you're talking about. I'm not the youngest at 35, but sure I'll overhaul your 1950s Bendix Kickback hub.
Old 08-29-20, 10:01 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
I agree, there's things my father taught me after refusing to repair my bikes anymore when I was a kid, I'd bust things on a regular basis...'You ride um...you fix um'...May he rest in peace. Like most things in life, there's a learning curve. Knowledge is never complete, only expanded...
Old 08-29-20, 10:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
Just for the fun of it, I Duck Duck Go'd "fork cable hanger" First hit, a Textro at Modern Bikes. $17.99. OK. But the weight! 758 gms. Black or silver didn't matter. I could get one at Walmart for a couple of bucks less but same weight.

"Duck Duck Go'd" just doesn't have the ring of "Google'd". But then, maybe there is a Duck Duck God. If so I'd better be careful.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-29-20, 10:42 PM
royphotog

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Actually, one was a kid, so I can understand that, but the other appeared to have been around for a while. The shop has been there for years.
Old 08-29-20, 11:04 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I want to the ski shop looking for a rope to tie to the nose of my snowboard and they didn’t have those either
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-30-20, 01:46 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by royphotog
I have been setting up a craigslist buy of a mid-90s Rocky Mountain Sherpa, changed the handlebars to a riser and stem, from the original Quill because I got a new handlebar and I wanted to raise them little. When I removed the quill one I lost the brake cable holder, I needed to get a front cable hanger, so I went to my LBS and they had no idea what I was talking about, I had to explain it to them and they said all the new bikes were different, but I would have thought that they would be doing repairs on all kinds of bikes and would know what a cable hanger was. We're not talking about a bike made in the 1920s here. Anyways, I did get a bottle cage and a mirror and came home and ordered the cable hanger from Amazon.
For what it's worth: I've been riding bicycles for well over 3 decades now, and fixing them for nearly as long (since the early childhood). Still, by the name, I had no idea what that is (even though I'm quite familiar with most cycling terms even in English, which isn't my native).
After reading the explanation: sure, I've installed/replaced those, tuned canti brakes, but the term itself did leave me clueless.

For me it would be: cantilever brake housing ("cable") stop.
And I'd have to know if it's for threaded forks (to be mounted below the locknut), or for threadless ones / seatpost mount, or held by the seatpost pinch bolt/clamp.
Of course, seeing the bike would help with any recommendations. But still - just the term (name) - got me puzzled. Had to google it.

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 08-30-20 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-30-20, 08:36 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Just for the fun of it, I Duck Duck Go'd "fork cable hanger" First hit, a Textro at Modern Bikes. $17.99. OK. But the weight! 758 gms. Black or silver didn't matter. I could get one at Walmart for a couple of bucks less but same weight.

"Duck Duck Go'd" just doesn't have the ring of "Google'd". But then, maybe there is a Duck Duck God. If so I'd better be careful.
There is no way that a able hanger could weigh >1 1/2 pounds. Maybe 75.8 grams
Old 08-30-20, 09:49 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
There is no way that a able hanger could weigh >1 1/2 pounds. Maybe 75.8 grams
Unless it was a tungsten billet with a few holes machined through it...bomb proof...
Old 08-30-20, 10:33 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I think it really depends on the shop and what they focus on. Businesses can’t be all things to all people, so to stay viable they have to pick and choose. I imagine they could have ordered one, but not surprised that particular shop may not have one in stock, especially if the shop had not been in business for many years.

Go to a different shop and there might be one lying around in the back, especially if the shop had been in business for decades.

I know what the shops, that are still around, in our area focus on.

John
Old 08-30-20, 10:44 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I think it really depends on the shop and what they focus on. Businesses can’t be all things to all people, so to stay viable they have to pick and choose. I imagine they could have ordered one, but not surprised that particular shop may not have one in stock, especially if the shop had not been in business for many years.
Not having one wasn't his concern, not knowing what one was was the OP concern.
Old 08-30-20, 11:29 AM
royphotog

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Hopefully you took the opportunity to get a fork mounted hanger.
I got this one
Old 08-30-20, 12:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Only Owning a bike shop can you rise above minimum wage.. (but the hours you put in may not seem like it)
place got young guys to try to live on the wages, and has a lot of turnover, I expect..

Old 08-30-20, 01:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Not having one wasn't his concern, not knowing what one was was the OP concern.
Only a concern if it is the only shop around and the OP needs it. If not go to another shop.

Otherwise it is just issuing a complaint to people who will be sympathetic. None of us know the situation or the shop. Not going to pass judgment.

I’d be much more concerned if they screwed up something on my bike while working on it.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-31-20, 03:15 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Only Owning a bike shop can you rise above minimum wage.. (but the hours you put in may not seem like it)
place got young guys to try to live on the wages, and has a lot of turnover, I expect..

This is definitely not true in my experience; most mechanics I've encountered earned more than a legal minimum wage.
Now, mechanics that earned a sane, livable wage, on the other hand--that's another story. Minimum wage in most contexts is insanely low. Bike mechanics do tend to earn poorly given you need a pretty strong knowledge and experience base to be genuinely good. You can earn a lot more putting similar energy into other skilled trades. I like bikes, though. The Professional Bicycle Mechanics Association is pushing for the highest paid hourly mechanic in a shop to get at least 1/3 of the nominal labor rate, which for a common $60/hr rate would be $20.
Old 08-31-20, 09:05 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Cantilever brakes were standard until the mid nineties. After V brakes were introduced almost no bikes came with cantis, except for less common bikes like CX and touring, so it is not surprising that a LBS employee doesn't know what parts are required.
Old 08-31-20, 09:44 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

Seriously? I don't know anyone...anywhere...that works in a bike shop and makes that little. Kids at In an Out make more than min wage.
Old 08-31-20, 11:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You are not in the South Eastern states..