Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the toughest tubular tire ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-20, 09:19 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

I own a few vintage bikes with tubulars that I enjoy riding on relatively short (20 mile) rides. As changing a flat with these is of course a pain, what would be a “ Gatorskin” level tubular tire so I can hopefully avoid flats?
Old 09-06-20, 09:31 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Are you referring to tubular tires as in sew-ups or just clincher tires with tubes?
Old 09-06-20, 09:33 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Are you referring to tubular tires as in sew-ups or just clincher tires with tubes?
Sew ups
Old 09-06-20, 09:52 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Sew ups
My friend that uses them likes Tufos for everyday riding and Veloflex for that special bike. Veloflex are considered the top.
Old 09-06-20, 11:21 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've found Continental Sprinters to be very flat resistant while still having OK ride quality.

They also hold air well which is handy for occasionally- ridden bikes.
Old 09-06-20, 03:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Why not use Conti Gatorskin Tubulars?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-06-20, 03:54 PM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I did not realize that gator skins came as a tubular thank you!!!
Old 09-06-20, 04:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I did not realize that gator skins came as a tubular thank you!!!
No worries, always happy to help.

I had an ex-co-worker who got them for his TT bike and he said good things at the time and in my brief conversations on the bike when I see him every so often he is still happy.
Old 09-06-20, 04:12 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
If you don't care about the ride quality enough to want flat resistant tires, might I suggest the Vittoria Rally tubs? They're skinwall and are cheap enough that you could just replace them when you flat. There's also Tire Alert (a world wide web site). Have you learned the art of repairing tubulars? That's what I do. It's part of the fun...
Old 09-06-20, 05:42 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
If you don't care about the ride quality enough to want flat resistant tires, might I suggest the Vittoria Rally tubs? They're skinwall and are cheap enough that you could just replace them when you flat. There's also Tire Alert (a world wide web site). Have you learned the art of repairing tubulars? That's what I do. It's part of the fun...

IME, those are not flat resistant, and not worth bothering with, especially for the OP, who wants to avoid changing tires.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 09-06-20, 07:03 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I don't find it a pain to change a tubular tire on the road.... as I use Tubasti and it doesn't really harden.
I can peel the flat tire off and mount new tire faster than putting a new tube in a clincher.
What the pain is fixing the tube inside the tubular. But I have actually done this as well on the side of the road when I got 2 flats in one day.
Old 09-06-20, 07:10 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
Back in the day, I learned the art of throwing away flatted tubulars. 😊

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-07-20, 12:23 AM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have some of the Gatorskin tubulars which I ride. My opinions based on use - I think they have a very thick sidewall, like three times a traditional tubular. This means that you get very little of that "tubular feel", but you do get a little of it. I have also found that unless I pump them up to a high pressure they feel like they drag on uphills - drag like the wheel's in the frame crooked and the tire is rubbing against the frame. That really annoys me and slows me down. My only guess is that that thick casing just isn't flexing under the extra load of climbing. I have found a way around this though. I pump them up to about 125 psi (they're rated to 170 psi). That pressure seems to eliminate the drag on climbs but makes the tire very hard. If you're only riding really smooth pavement, okay; but rougher pavement - you feel the bumps and jolts, and also the tires don't flex over the roughness, they bounce. You can sort of tell they aren't in solid contact with the pavement all the time. That really hasn't effected handling for me, but it really wears the tread off the rear wheel quickly - and the tubular Gatorskin's don't have as much tread as the clincher ones. I only ride these tires when I know I want the extra toughness. For example, it's "gravel season" on the chip and seal farm roads in Illinois. I'm riding them now - they handle the fine gravel fine (but are rough riding and bouncy because of my high pressure). Another situation is on the MUP trail after a good windstorm when you may be riding over twigs and small sticks. The rest of the time I'll ride Continental Sprinters. As a general thought I'd say don't consider the Continental Gatorskin tubular to be the same tire, just in a tubular format, as the Continental Gatorskin clincher.
Old 09-07-20, 06:57 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I don't find it a pain to change a tubular tire on the road.... as I use Tubasti and it doesn't really harden.
I can peel the flat tire off and mount new tire faster than putting a new tube in a clincher.
What the pain is fixing the tube inside the tubular. But I have actually done this as well on the side of the road when I got 2 flats in one day.
You have tubs on a Schwinn Varsity? What else have you changed?
Old 09-07-20, 09:52 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Back in the day, I learned the art of throwing away flatted tubulars. 😊

Otto
I guess that would be okay if they were biodegradeable
Old 09-07-20, 10:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I guess that would be okay if they were biodegradeable
The latex tubed silks we used to race were.

Originally Posted by trailangel
+1 I commuted on Tubasti'd sew-ups for years. Loved that I could flat and do a fast change - in the dark, rain, snow, tired, inebriated and in shady neighborhoods. If I really needed to be quick, I didn't even have to put the tire on straight.

Ben
Old 09-08-20, 08:04 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I must admit I don't get the point of buying the "toughest" tub. The joy of tubs really only comes with the higher end. Otherwise ride clinchers. As for changing, I am actually faster with tubs than clinchers. It is the repair that is a pain.