Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Parts needed for Ultegra di2 upgrade.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-08-20, 09:58 AM
Lrdchaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

I’m wanting to upgrade my Ultegra 8000 mechanical to Di2. I have a 52/36 front, and 11-30 rear cassette that I plan on keeping. I know that I will need the 8070 shifters, but what other pieces of equipment will I need?
Old 09-08-20, 10:14 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
https://glorycycles.com/shimano-ulte...0-upgrade-kit/

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...variant-688419

Something like this I would expect.
Old 09-08-20, 10:21 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
The only economical way I know to do this is with a resold OEM package. PBK, what Algarve said etc I have done Ultegra and DA with sale packages. I think it was about half retail price.
Old 09-08-20, 10:21 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
If you are in the US, Merlin Cycles has everything you need, and they'll have it at your door Saturday

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...it-112246.html
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-08-20, 10:39 AM
Lrdchaos

Originally Posted by popeye
The only economical way I know to do this is with a resold OEM package. PBK, what Algarve said etc I have done Ultegra and DA with sale packages. I think it was about half retail price.

yes sir, I’ve been watching a few FB pages for take offs and such. My main thing is that I’m not sure if I need a medium or long cage rear derailer for a 30 tooth gear.
Old 09-08-20, 10:48 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
yes sir, I’ve been watching a few FB pages for take offs and such. My main thing is that I’m not sure if I need a medium or long cage rear derailer for a 30 tooth gear.
There is no long cage RD for Ultegra Di2. In any case, if you aren't going more than 30t, the short cage supports it.
Old 09-08-20, 01:55 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by surak
There is no long cage RD for Ultegra Di2.
Shimano has a short cage(SS) 30t max, and a medium cage(GS) 34t max Ultegra Di2 derailleur.

BTW, Shimano max cog ratings are usually a little on the conservative side.
Old 09-08-20, 02:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
I’m wanting to upgrade my Ultegra 8000 mechanical to Di2. I have a 52/36 front, and 11-30 rear cassette that I plan on keeping. I know that I will need the 8070 shifters, but what other pieces of equipment will I need?
Rim brakes ??

Assuming yes, you need Shifters, F derailer, R derailer, A Junction at stem or in end of h-bar (that requires drilling holes in the h-bar or using a bar designed for Di2), B Junction to install near bottom bracket, Battery - usually in the seat post with a shim designed to hold the battery, cables - 2 for the shifters, A Junction to B junction, Battery to B junction, F derailer to B junction, R derailer to B junction.

You can keep/re-use your rim brakes, crank and bottom bracket, chain and cassette.

It’s a bit over $1000, add another $89 for the BT unit.

Texas Cyclesport does good packages and is cost effective.

https://www.texascyclesport.com/shim...-upgrade-kits/

Biggest questions I’ve dealt with are 1) Is the frame designed to route Di2 cables internal, is there an opening near the head tube on the down tube big enough for the Di2 cable connector ?. 2) BSA or Press-fit bottom bracket, that needs removal to route cables and install the B junction ?, or maybe a removable hatch or design at the b-bracket to route cables ?. The B junction can be installed in the seat tube, as BTW.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-08-20, 04:25 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
R8050s are the cable-brake shifters, R8070s are the hydro-brake ones.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 09-09-20, 06:32 AM
Lrdchaos

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Rim brakes ??

Assuming yes, you need Shifters, F derailer, R derailer, A Junction at stem or in end of h-bar (that requires drilling holes in the h-bar or using a bar designed for Di2), B Junction to install near bottom bracket, Battery - usually in the seat post with a shim designed to hold the battery, cables - 2 for the shifters, A Junction to B junction, Battery to B junction, F derailer to B junction, R derailer to B junction.

You can keep/re-use your rim brakes, crank and bottom bracket, chain and cassette.

It’s a bit over $1000, add another $89 for the BT unit.

Texas Cyclesport does good packages and is cost effective.

https://www.texascyclesport.com/shim...-upgrade-kits/

Biggest questions I’ve dealt with are 1) Is the frame designed to route Di2 cables internal, is there an opening near the head tube on the down tube big enough for the Di2 cable connector ?. 2) BSA or Press-fit bottom bracket, that needs removal to route cables and install the B junction ?, or maybe a removable hatch or design at the b-bracket to route cables ?. The B junction can be installed in the seat tube, as BTW.
I appreciate the feedback. The bike originally game with DI2, but I bought it as a left over and the shop had taken it off and swapped it to another bike. Which didn’t really bother me because I saved about 3k on the deal. The bike has hydraulic disc brakes, so I will need the 8070 shifters, and the other parts. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 09-09-20, 07:29 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
These were the steps that I am taking as I am upgrading to Di2 soon.

The first thing I did was start a planning sheet. This was to help me determine the lengths of wire I needed. Lucky for me Trek had the sheet listed below. I did change a few things because I wanted to use the wireless unit and I did not wan to use a Y cable in the handlebars. I colour coded each of the wires on the planning sheet. Once I had all the lengths, I ordered them from where ever they had stock.

Like you I am using the 8070 so I just ordered the shifters. I went with the medium cage (GS) rear just in case I ever decide to go to a larger cassette then what I am using now. It can't hurt anything by going longer. The front was a non-issue. I purchased the wireless unit, battery, junction A (handlebar) and B boxes. Found a charger second hand on Facebook Marketplace and bought that.

The last things I purchase was the Park Tool IR 1.2 internal routing kit. These is not essential but will make it easier. Last I purchased a Shimano bleed kit and a disc brake bleed block. Your brakes will have to be bled when you install the new levers. My original idea was to have a shop do it but the back log is still weeks in my area so I figure since I do all of my own wrenching I could attempt the bleed.

Everything is ready to go, I just have to find the motivation to take my bike apart to do the install. Of course you don't have to do what I did, this is just another data point in the execution of an upgrade. Good luck.

Likes For blakcloud:
Old 09-10-20, 12:44 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

There's a small F-F junction under the bars connecting the frame wiring to the bar wiring; I found this the perfect place for the WU111 wireless unit. It just replaced that junction. I mention this because I initially put it in the seat tube, which on occasion would result in dropouts. Right in front, under the computer is perfect. The Di2 connectors in general seem well enough weather sealed.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 09-10-20, 04:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Di2 threads always allow me to remember and appreciate the simple beauty and purity of the cycling experience.
Old 09-10-20, 04:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Di2 threads always allow me to remember and appreciate the simple beauty and purity of the cycling experience.
Is why I love my Di2 system. I’ve done nothing to it for 3 years except I plug it in to charge about every 4 mos.

Last edited by Steve B.; 09-10-20 at 05:54 PM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-10-20, 04:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Is why I live my Di2 system. I’ve done nothing to it for 3 years except I plug it in to charge about every 4 mos.
You must have had an engineering degree (from reading all of the above) to get it set up so soundly! Congrats
Old 09-10-20, 04:58 PM
noodle soup

Is why I live my Di2 system. I’ve done nothing to it for 3 years except I plug it in to charge about every 4 mos.
Yep.

I replace worn parts frequently because of the mileage I ride, but cant remember the last time something needed an adjustment(Di2 Hyldraulic Discs).
Old 09-10-20, 05:56 PM
Steve B.

You must have had an engineering degree (from reading all of the above) to get it set up so soundly! Congrats
Ive been assembling bikes since ‘95 or so, I enjoy it. Di2 was a different experience than mechanical, but once set its done forever mostly. That’s always a surprise.
Old 09-10-20, 08:16 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I certainly get your point. The upgrade path is arduous at best. It certainly would have been simpler to purchase a bike with it pre-installed then it would have been as Steve B says kind of set it and forget it (except for charging).
Old 09-15-20, 11:43 PM
N2motorsports

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Few more tips

1. To eliminate rattling in frame, I used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FWC1XQZ..._FoAyFb1MYW853

2. When trimming the brakes lines, get the proper tools to cut the hydraulic lines very clean and straight., so it seats properly. Jagwire sells one or use the shimano clamps to cut with razor. Dont over torque hydraulic lines into shifter, you will easily crush the brass olive.

The hardest part for me was wiring all the lines thru a carbon bar, since it wasn't very smooth inside. I've put a few hundred miles on it now, still tweaking front derailleur since I went with a hollowgram cank vs the ultegra. Very happy.
Old 09-17-20, 06:58 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Shimano has a short cage(SS) 30t max, and a medium cage(GS) 34t max Ultegra Di2 derailleur.

I have run a Sram 11-36 on my Ultegra Di2 Med. cage Trek Domane without a problem.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 09-17-20, 08:05 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by colnago62
I have run a Sram 11-36 on my Ultegra Di2 Med. cage Trek Domane without a problem.
Shimano is notorious for being conservative with Max cog size capacity. I've used a 32t cassette on my 9000 Di2 that has a 28t max rating,
Old 09-17-20, 02:54 PM
d4vid

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently upgraded 2019 Trek Madone SLR 6 Disc Ultegra mechanical components to Di2's...Here are the parts that I used. Trek Bicycle store only charged me $175.00 for the installation.

ST-R8070 SHIFTER / LEVER 1
RD-R8050-SS REAR DERAILUR 1
FD-R8050 FRONT DERAILUR 1
EW-RS910 JUNCTION (A) 1
EW-JC130-MM JUNCTION (B) 1
SM-JC41 JUNCTION (B) 1
EW-JC200
JUNCTION (B) 1
BT-DN110-A BATTERY 1
EW-WU111 WIRELESS UNIT 1

WIRE

EW-SD50 150MM 1
EW-SD50 350MM 1
EW-SD50 550MM 1
EW-SD50 700MM 1
EW-SD50 950MM 2

Good luck!
Old 09-17-20, 07:39 PM
ShapeGSX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup

I use my short cage DI2 derailleur with an 11-32 cassette. So long as I don’t cross chain from the 52 to the 32, it’s no problem whatsoever. I always use Syncro Shift, so it won’t let me select that combo anyway.
Old 09-18-20, 01:40 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

I have 50x34 and 11-32t on my C3, with the chain long enough to allow cross chaining 50-32. But on 34-13 if I'm coasting the chain will rattle against the chainstay. R8000 Di2 won't allow shifting into the 11 or 12t while on the 34t. If I took out a link the slight tapping when coasting would stop in the 34-13, but then cross chaining big-big would be iffy. I don't do it much as it's terrible for the chain, but I like to have the option, so it's a trade off that works for me. Just a little 3M protective clear tape on the chainstay and it's of no concern.

Old 09-18-20, 01:57 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by sfrider
I. R8000 Di2 won't allow shifting into the 11 or 12t while on the 34t..
Shimano thinks that folks will frig up their systems if they allow cross chain operation so they lock it out with certain crank/cassette settings like 50/34. If you connect with the E-Tube software you can cheat the system to shift small-small (and small-next to small cog) by telling E-Tube you’ve got a 53/39 crank and whatever cassette (I think 12-25 works), then use Manual shift mode (no Syncro) and turn off Gear Position Control. You can then use small-small.

Last edited by Steve B.; 09-18-20 at 03:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.