Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Manta Bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Manta Bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 06:22 PM
artesian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Manta Bicycle

I was just advised to go from the general forum to this one to see if T Mar could answer this:

I just bought a Manta 10-speed bicycle circa 1980s. It has Japanese parts (Dia-Compte brakes, Suntour shifters and gears, even a Cateye Astrale mile counter). It's a beautiful bike and fun to ride. I'm wondering, though, if anyone on this forum knows about the history of Manta bicycles or where I could get more information. (It's not a Schwinn Mantaray, btw.) I've found very little online, just that very brief and cryptic information. (I'd attach photos, but this forum says I have to post at least six times before I can post photos.)
Old 09-09-20, 05:45 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Manta was a Wisconsin based marketing brand, with the bicycles first appearing circa 1982. They were relatively short lived, lasting only about 3-4 years. So far, I have not been able to collect any serial numbers to determine who manufactured them but given the era and components, they were likely of Japanese or Taiwanese origin. The only samples I've seen have been entry level to mid-range road bicycles, though the range may have been larger.

You do not have to wait for 10 posts to upload pictures. That restriction is only for attaching photograghs to a post. Photographs will upload to a gallery album album where members can view them.
Old 11-20-22, 09:08 PM
Cankles

Bikes: Motobecane Gran Premio 22sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Manta was a Wisconsin based marketing brand, with the bicycles first appearing circa 1982. They were relatively short lived, lasting only about 3-4 years. So far, I have not been able to collect any serial numbers to determine who manufactured them but given the era and components, they were likely of Japanese or Taiwanese origin. The only samples I've seen have been entry level to mid-range road bicycles, though the range may have been larger.

You do not have to wait for 10 posts to upload pictures. That restriction is only for attaching photograghs to a post. Photographs will upload to a gallery album album where members can view them.
japanese manta for sale locally from a Wisconsin shop. Just fyi

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...0107004122479/
Old 11-21-22, 06:59 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Cankles
japanese manta for sale locally from a Wisconsin shop. Just fyi

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...0107004122479/

Thank-you for posting. At least now we know that some of the models were made in Japan, as previously suspected. Too bad there's no photo the serial number. The subject bicycle appears to have a Shimano Selecta B crankset mated with Shimano Altus LT derailleurs. Both were introduced for the 1979 model year and the derailleurs survived into at least 1984, so it could still fit into that known 1982-1984 timeframe for Manta. Or maybe it could push the introduction date back a bit.
Old 11-21-22, 09:24 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Sanwa and Manta were sister brands from the same factory. Identical bikes except for different badges & decals. More info in this post:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...re-info-2.html