Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hitch Rack - Saris T-Bones

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 02:08 PM
teknik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking into getting a hitch mounted bike rack. One of the options I really want is the ability to remove the rack from the hitch easily. After doing some research it looks like the Saris T-Bones will work best. It has a removable pin with lock. My concern is that it is light and may not be as stable on the car while driving. Does anyone have any experience with the T-Bones model?

https://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/v...&category_id=8

Thanks!
Old 08-03-11, 02:15 PM
coachflamingo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't used this particular rack but I can tell you that Saris products are really top-notch. I was in the bike business for many, many years and found everything they sell to be very high quality. I wouldn't worry about it because it's light. I have used the Thelma for some time now and love it.
Old 08-03-11, 02:43 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by coachflamingo
I haven't used this particular rack but I can tell you that Saris products are really top-notch. I was in the bike business for many, many years and found everything they sell to be very high quality. I wouldn't worry about it because it's light. I have used the Thelma for some time now and love it.
+1 to that. When I was in the bike business, the bones was the only trunk mount rack I stocked. They literally flew out the door. Customers loved them.
This is obviously a relatively new model, as I've never seen it before, but it looks like they have simply adapted the Bones arms to a hitch mount mast.
I'd be quite confident they got it right based on past experience with their products.
Old 08-03-11, 02:55 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have had a couple of different Saris products in the past several years and they have been great. I don't have the Bones hitch mount, but I do have the trunk mount Bones 2 and a Cycle On Pro that I use on my trucks.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Bones Hitch mount if it will serve your needs. Try and buy local and see if they will let you see it on your vehicle first. I know my LBS will.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-03-11, 04:12 PM
teknik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! Going to go pick up one tomorrow and give it a go, my LBS has them on sale. Should be getting the tow hitch installed next week. I'll report back as to how well it worked.
Old 08-04-11, 07:24 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
The Saris rack you're looking at has an adapter that you can leave in your receiver. That adapter mounts with the hitch-pin/bolt like other most other hitch mounts, which is used to remove the wobble you'd get with just a pin. You still have that adapter sticking out behind your bumper with the rack removed. I have a couple of hitch racks and they all use the bolt/pin mounting. It takes me less than 30 seconds to mount or unmount these racks using a ratchet wrench, which is fast and easy enough for me.

I have a Saris Thelma II which works well and I got because it supports the bikes by the wheels instead of the frame. Of course to mount it you need a wrench for the hitch-pin/bolt at the receiver.
Old 08-04-11, 10:58 AM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
I have a Saris Thelma II which works well and I got because it supports the bikes by the wheels instead of the frame. Of course to mount it you need a wrench for the hitch-pin/bolt at the receiver.
I have never gone that far, I just get it flush and finger tight then put the pin in. Never even considered tightening it further, has never started to back out.
Old 08-04-11, 02:44 PM
Looigi

Originally Posted by dpeters11
I have never gone that far, I just get it flush and finger tight then put the pin in. Never even considered tightening it further, has never started to back out.
With the safety pin installed, it can be left completely loose and be fine, just like the typical unthreaded retaining pin. The point of if threading into the rack is to remove the wobble. If finger tight does it for you, you either don't mind the wobble or have stronger fingers than me. I also believe the tightened pin, which requires a wrench to remove, is at least a minor deterrent from somebody steeling the rack.
Old 08-13-11, 09:56 PM
Franky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have traveled over 200miles one way several times, with the T-Bones, and both bikes secured tightly. The hitch mount can be tightened and it will not move around. The only additional thing I do when transporting with this rack is secure the front wheels of each bike to their respective bike frame, helps with the front wheel and handlebars from moving around and moving side to side. Good affordable rack, lifetime warranty.
Old 08-22-11, 03:04 PM
teknik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I finally got the hitch installed and everything setup. Stability is fine, I think my hesitation was related to the fact that I did not know the pin that holds the rack to the hitch receiver is threaded in addition to the overall light weight of the rack. From the picture in the manual online the pin did not seem like it was threaded which was preferable for easy removal. On one hand I was a bit disappointed since I thought it would not be as easy as to remove quickly when not in use. Worked out in the end since the main part of the rack is designed to be separated to use the floor stand. The bar that the rack locks into still sticks out a bit behind the bumper. Overall I'm happy with it.
Old 08-22-11, 09:50 PM
Franky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good obeservations. I thought it was quick and fast..Not...but it is cheap and heavy duty. I bought the SARIS lock for the threaded hitch bolt and couldn't believe the price for the lock,.40.00 bucks. It will prevent the whole rack from being stolen. The way things are now, if it is not nailed down someone will steal it.
Old 08-23-11, 04:20 PM
TrailViewMount

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.2 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Swagman XC 2 Bike Rack. It literally takes me seconds to load and unload. $150 + $10 ship from their website, or $115 from Amazon plus free ship. You be the judge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2420.jpg (58.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 08-23-11, 04:55 PM
teknik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Swagman looks like a good option. I would have definitely considered that if I had to do it all over again.
Old 08-24-11, 11:40 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I'm sure it's fine. I actually had thought you meant the T-Rax which I had and didn't like, but you didn't.

When people say it takes "30 seconds" to get it on it off though keep in mind that's a "best case" figure. Like you have a garage and your car is in front of the garage, you have the rack marked exactly how far it goes in to get the hitch pin in and out, and you're really quick with the wrench. I mean just fyi.

All hitch racks, I found, have a certain amount of sway to them. Haven't found one that stayed on my car solid like the trunk mounted racks do.
Old 11-04-11, 10:13 PM
godeacs

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2FX, 2014 Domane 2.3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting - my local LBS swears by the Thelma II hitch mount...said you could stand on it and it wouldn't wiggle!
Old 11-05-11, 12:25 PM
Looigi

Originally Posted by godeacs
Interesting - my local LBS swears by the Thelma II hitch mount...said you could stand on it and it wouldn't wiggle!

The Thelma II has a hinge which will allows you to pivot it to vertical and lock it there. This hinge introduces a little wobble even though the hitch's tongue is bolted tight in the receiver and doesn't wobble. IMO, it's inconsequential.
Old 06-14-12, 08:33 AM
richy1
Bike Rack Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teknik
That Swagman looks like a good option. I would have definitely considered that if I had to do it all over again.
The Swagman XC is a great hitch rack. I have written a thorough review of that rack on my site (check my sig).
Old 06-21-12, 09:01 PM
TrailViewMount

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.2 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Swagman. Bikes on and off very quickly. It was only $115 on Amazon in March 2011. Free shipping. No sales tax.
Attached Images
swagman on car.jpg (103.6 KB, 8 views)
IMG_2691-001.JPG (85.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-23-12, 01:23 PM
godeacs

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2FX, 2014 Domane 2.3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly, the price on Amazon for the Swagman has gone up rather significantly ($157) but still seems like a good deal.
Old 06-24-12, 07:24 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Does anyone know if the Swagman would extend to hold a Big Dummy Xtracycle? Any suggestions for an Xtracycle>
Old 06-25-12, 03:08 AM
richy1
Bike Rack Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Swagman XC wheelbase max length is 51½-inches long and the carry weight capacity for each bike is 35lbs. The wheel hoops (that the wheels sit into) simply extend to the perfect length for your bike. It will take bike frames up to 24-inches.
Old 07-06-12, 04:11 AM
richy1
Bike Rack Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So long as it's within your budget, there should be no expense spared when buying a bike rack, going for a cheaper option simply based on that reason could be a very costly mistake in the long run. The cost of a bike rack should really be the last thing you consider.

With so many options of bike racks available it can be a bit confusing which one to go for, but you must really drill down and choose the best bike rack for your individual needs. The bike rack test in my opinion is the best way to do that:

https://www.bestbikerackreviewsite.com/bike-rack-test/