Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lactate threshold changes/tests

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 12:05 PM
Yotsko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First, I'll throw this out there: This is my first year training with a focus.

I've been following Joe Friels training plan and back in November I did my first LTHR test. I did the 30 minute TT one and took my avg heart rate for the last 20 minutes. It was 157, so I set my training zones based on that.

Throughout the rest of fall and winter, I notice my avg HR in 30 minute cross races was hovering right around 170 +/- a beat or two.
Based on that observation, I went out and did the same LTHR test this morning and made sure I was going all out. My avg heart rate over the last 20 min this time was 169.

It would appear to me that I wasn't going as hard as I could the first time, but is it possible for LTHR to change by that much as someone piles up the base miles? Is it possible that maybe I went too hard?
Old 01-24-12, 12:15 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Very unlikely that your true LTHR moved that much in 2 months. Your LTHR can move with training. However, it's more the power you are able to produce at that HR that is trainable.

Most, if not all, of the difference is likely the result of the fact that racing cross taught you that you can push deeper than you thought.

And by definition, it's not possible to go too hard.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-24-12, 12:22 PM
p2templin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If nothing else, I'd recommend a metabolic assessment so you can understand all of your zones, and not have to "set" them based on LTHR.
Old 01-24-12, 12:49 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
You seem motivated to systematically train with a zone system. I would suggest saving some money to get a powermeter. They aren't all that expensive anymore and they will give you much better and more useful data than a HR monitor. Once you have power, HR data seems pretty useless. The difference between HR data and perceived exertion is probably pretty small.

For what it is worth, I am 53 years old and don't race anymore but the powermeter is a good motivational tool for me that helps me to stay in better shape and make my workouts more interesting.
Old 01-24-12, 05:17 PM
Yotsko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the inputs. I'd like to get a metabolic assessment done, but I think that's something I'll do next year.

As far as powermeters, I've been trying to decide what I wanted for a while and I think I'm going to give the Garmin Vectors a try when they come out...hopefully in March. I almost bought a powertap, but I don't want to ride the same wheels all the time, and as far as SRM/quarq, I'd like to be able to switch it between bikes a bit easier. I'm looking forward to it...but I'm running out of patients.
Old 01-24-12, 05:22 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotsko
Thanks for the inputs. I'd like to get a metabolic assessment done, but I think that's something I'll do next year.

As far as powermeters, I've been trying to decide what I wanted for a while and I think I'm going to give the Garmin Vectors a try when they come out...hopefully in March. I almost bought a powertap, but I don't want to ride the same wheels all the time, and as far as SRM/quarq, I'd like to be able to switch it between bikes a bit easier. I'm looking forward to it...but I'm running out of patients.
absolutely worthless for a new racer. For that matter, so are the LT and VO2max lab tests. great, you have a respiratory exchange ratio of 0.82 while your lactate is at 2.5mmol. Tells you absolutely nothing in terms of how to utilize that information in your training.
Old 01-24-12, 06:49 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Heart rate does not mean that much it varies with each person. Depends on age and the years of training you have done. If you have done years of consistant training your overall highest heart rate drops. It is much harder to get a trained pesons heart rate way up and to do so is not smart. The absolute highest heart rate you have also has little to do with what you can accomplish.

After years of distance running regardless of what the science books say, my heart rate is lower when I am tired during a workout. It tends to run higher if I feel good but I can just sustain the effort then if pressed to continue it will start to increase. Resting heartrate is a better indicator of what is going on and how much you have progessed. At some point regardless of heartrate you need to rest for a big effort. Peaking in terms of races and time trials is what it is all about. Once you build a good steady based then it is a matter of picking the times and season for really doing your best. I find heartrate the most overated item it the training logs........... I am sure many will disagree.
Old 01-24-12, 09:27 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Heart rate does not mean that much it varies with each person. Depends on age and the years of training you have done. If you have done years of consistant training your overall highest heart rate drops. It is much harder to get a trained pesons heart rate way up and to do so is not smart. The absolute highest heart rate you have also has little to do with what you can accomplish.

After years of distance running regardless of what the science books say, my heart rate is lower when I am tired during a workout. It tends to run higher if I feel good but I can just sustain the effort then if pressed to continue it will start to increase. Resting heartrate is a better indicator of what is going on and how much you have progessed. At some point regardless of heartrate you need to rest for a big effort. Peaking in terms of races and time trials is what it is all about. Once you build a good steady based then it is a matter of picking the times and season for really doing your best. I find heartrate the most overated item it the training logs........... I am sure many will disagree.
To be fair, the OP is talking about training based on taking his zones from a LTHR test. That's a world away from the 220-age nonsense.
Old 01-24-12, 11:34 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Very unlikely that your true LTHR moved that much in 2 months. Your LTHR can move with training. However, it's more the power you are able to produce at that HR that is trainable.

Most, if not all, of the difference is likely the result of the fact that racing cross taught you that you can push deeper than you thought.

And by definition, it's not possible to go too hard.
+1 to all of that. IME, as i get in better shape, my HR at any given perceived effort level actually goes down if anything (or the power output necessary to reach that HR goes up, depending on how you want to look at it). i'd guess you just weren't pushing hard enough the first time...or you were tired or sick or something.