Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freewheel tool slipping

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Freewheel tool slipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-21, 03:51 PM
alecd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Freewheel tool slipping

I've just received a Shimano freewheel remover tool. I attached the tool to the solid axle with the axle nut / washer. As I put medium pressure to the adjustable spanner the remover tool slips / clicks. The axle is slightly bent. Could the locknut be fouling / interfering with the remover tool? I'll try removing that first. Otherwise I think it should be possible to remove the axle completely and even service the bearings without removing the freewheel. The remover tool does not seem to have been damaged by my removal attempts.
Old 01-16-21, 03:54 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Can you post photos of the freewheel and tool? That should help get some fast answers.
Old 01-16-21, 04:27 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,221 Posts
Old 01-16-21, 04:44 PM
alecd

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
As its a Shimano freewheel / tool there should normally be little chance of the tool slipping / disengaging from the splines. Also there should be no reason for the freewheel mechanism itself to be slipping..IE you should be able to put a lot of torque on the freewheel / tool. It must be that the bent axle is causing the tool to somehow disengage and slip.

I'll post some photos tomorrow.
Old 01-16-21, 05:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Verify it's actually a freewheel and that the tool is a freewheel tool not a cassette lockring tool.
Old 01-16-21, 05:31 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
freewheel?

Just to confirm: it is a freewheel you are removing - versus a cassette?

I only ask because - for example - the Park Tool FR1.3 (for a Shimano freewheel) has a slightly smaller diameter than the FR5/5.2 (for a Shimano cassette).
Old 01-16-21, 05:35 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Yes, the locknut could be interfering with tool. I have found a bent axle sometimes prevents me from getting the freewheel tool on because the clearance is very tight to begin with and the bend makes it too close. In this case I remove the axle by removing the locknut and axle from the non-drive side first and then I can get the freewheel tool properly positioned.
Old 01-16-21, 06:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Shimano has offered several mutually incompatible freewheel removers for their various freewheels. Which specific tool and freewheel are you using?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shimano-fw-tools.jpg (144.6 KB, 130 views)
Old 01-17-21, 01:34 AM
alecd

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A new axle has arrived. Just concerned about replacing axle / bearings without being able to remove freewheel.

I’ll try removing just the drive side locknut first. The bent axle itself shouldn’t foul the remover tool.

I’m certain its a freewheel! No lockring present. Two pinholes to disassemble freewheel. Purchased a ’Shimano freewheel remover’ tool. It fits snugly well into freewheel body. Just slips with medium pressure. The Shimano cassette remover tool I also have definitely does not fit. I could compare number of splines and diameters.

If I remove locknut and axle from non drive side, what happens to the drive side cone? Does that come out through the freewheel?
Old 01-17-21, 06:51 AM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by alecd
A new axle has arrived. Just concerned about replacing axle / bearings without being able to remove freewheel.

I’ll try removing just the drive side locknut first. The bent axle itself shouldn’t foul the remover tool.

I’m certain its a freewheel! No lockring present. Two pinholes to disassemble freewheel. Purchased a ’Shimano freewheel remover’ tool. It fits snugly well into freewheel body. Just slips with medium pressure. The Shimano cassette remover tool I also have definitely does not fit. I could compare number of splines and diameters.

If I remove locknut and axle from non drive side, what happens to the drive side cone? Does that come out through the freewheel?
Yes.
Old 01-17-21, 07:24 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Just leave cone and locknut tight on DS, remove the locknut AND cone from NDS, pull axle from DS. This will leave your distance set by the DS cone and you'll need to adjust bearing preload any way you do it. You'll need a pencil magnet to get the bearings out of the DS. A solid axle isn't as critical on axle centering just so there is enough outside the drop out on each side for the nuts, unlike a QR axle where the axle must remain inside the dropout on both sides.

Might just be a poor quality tool too.
Pictures/FW model/tool model would help people see your issue.
Old 01-17-21, 01:55 PM
alecd

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just removed axle completely (see photos). Removed bearings both sides. Used new axle to secure tool while attempting to undo. Tool still seems to slip the splines and click. My feeling is that it IS a poor quality tool (ebay). I have cleaned and can now replace the bearings & new axle without removing the freewheel. However, it would be nice to get the tool that does the job! The freewheel sounds a bit rough and has a bit of play. I've been drizzling W30 oil into the freewheel, but perhaps wet chain lube would be a bit thicker? Before removing the axle I forgot to measure the threads either side, but I'll aim for the same amount of axle protruding from each locknut. PS it looks like the small sprocket unscrews. Do they all unscrew? I have a uniglide freehub where the small cog is also the 'locknut', but I don't think its that.

Old 01-17-21, 02:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Looks like the cheap tool couldn't handle the torque to remove a tight freewheel
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-17-21, 02:54 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I would say... it's the wrong tool.. but my thought is, never buy tools on ebay.
Old 01-17-21, 05:39 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by trailangel
i would say... It's the wrong tool.. But my thought is, never buy unbranded tools on ebay.
fify
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-17-21, 06:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Just removed axle completely (see photos). Removed bearings both sides. Used new axle to secure tool while attempting to undo. Tool still seems to slip the splines and click. My feeling is that it IS a poor quality tool (ebay).

Could be a poor-quality no-name tool. I've also noticed that Falcon and Tiger freewheels (often found on low-end bikes) use a very similar, but slightly different splined remover tool. Perhaps your no-name tool is intended for Falcon or Tiger freewheels.

In any case, a new tool is needed. Get the official Shimano TL-FW30 or a reputable (e.g. VAR RL-41100 or Park FR-1.3) copy.
Old 01-17-21, 07:19 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 6,466 Times in 3,198 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
never buy tools on ebay.
I've bought most of my tools on ebay, usually new and Park.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-18-21, 03:05 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I've bought most of my tools on ebay, usually new and Park.
I enjoy following the used Park Tool market on ebay, some interesting tools that were discontinued.

Old 01-18-21, 07:49 AM
alecd

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'll order the Shimano FW-30 or Parktool FR 1.3.
While I'm at it I'll get the same for Shimano Cassette removal. Mine gets stuck in the lockring each time I use it!