Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Elemnt Bolt and Wireless Computer ?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-15-19, 07:13 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts

Recently bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, using it with a speed sensor. I like to keep a regular basic computer on each bike to record total mileage, and because I don't always use the Bolt.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of interference between a wireless bike computer and the Elemnt Bolt (with a speed sensor on the rear hub)? Finishing up a new bike build and want to put a wireless computer on it.
Old 08-15-19, 10:37 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I've never heard of another computer that interfaces with a Bolt. To maintain overall miles, I copy each ride from the Bolt companion app to Cyclemeter, which uses a local database, and use that for all my stats. I only keep one weeks worth of rides in the Bolt. The advantage of having a local database is you don't need WiFi or cellular to access any of your ride data.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-15-19, 10:49 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
Recently bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, using it with a speed sensor. I like to keep a regular basic computer on each bike to record total mileage, and because I don't always use the Bolt.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of interference between a wireless bike computer and the Elemnt Bolt (with a speed sensor on the rear hub)? Finishing up a new bike build and want to put a wireless computer on it.
Bolt uses either bluetooth or ANT+ depending on how you have it set up. Most basic $30 wireless bike computers operate on a different frequency. In theory I don't think there should be any interference.

Also I have not experienced any interference with my bolt in large group rides where there are lots of other computers and frequencies being used.
Old 08-15-19, 11:18 AM
billyymc

Originally Posted by ksryder
Bolt uses either bluetooth or ANT+ depending on how you have it set up. Most basic $30 wireless bike computers operate on a different frequency. In theory I don't think there should be any interference.

Also I have not experienced any interference with my bolt in large group rides where there are lots of other computers and frequencies being used.
Cool - I'll give it a try then, thanks.
Old 08-22-19, 07:17 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
I just added a Bolt to my bike and kept the Cateye wireless computer. No issues between them. I do have an issue with the Cateye if I have a GoPro or my NiteRider headlight within a few inches of the computer-they knock out the wireless signal.
Old 09-01-19, 02:16 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts

Just let the Bolt upload to Strava and you can select the bike there.
Old 09-01-19, 02:17 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by KenCT
I just added a Bolt to my bike and kept the Cateye wireless computer. No issues between them. I do have an issue with the Cateye if I have a GoPro or my NiteRider headlight within a few inches of the computer-they knock out the wireless signal.
Why?
Old 09-01-19, 02:28 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Why?
Both the GoPro and the NiteRider have small computer chips in them which generate radio frequencies when they are running. While the signals generated are weak, they are strong enough to block the signal from the wheel sensor the to Cateye computer when they are near each other.
Old 09-01-19, 03:17 PM
JohnJ80

Both the GoPro and the NiteRider have small computer chips in them which generate radio frequencies when they are running. While the signals generated are weak, they are strong enough to block the signal from the wheel sensor the to Cateye computer when they are near each other.
The BOLT should be fine. Why do you need two computers then?
Old 09-01-19, 03:29 PM
KenCT

The BOLT should be fine. Why do you need two computers then?
I just picked up the Bolt a couple of weeks ago. I’ll most likely keep a Cateye wireless on both my bikes as I like to keep a running total of mileage for each bike.
Old 09-01-19, 03:39 PM
JohnJ80

I just picked up the Bolt a couple of weeks ago. I’ll most likely keep a Cateye wireless on both my bikes as I like to keep a running total of mileage for each bike.
Upload it to Strava and/or RWGPS and set the bike there (you can do it bulk, IIRC). You can then see the accumulated mileage. RWGPS also has a maintenance log feature where you can log maintenance against mileage and date.

The Wahoo Bolt will upload to both automatically.

J.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 09-01-19 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 04:48 PM
KenCT

I do that too, only started using Strava this year. I’ve had one type or another bike odometer or computer for a little over 30 years, just used to it being there on the bike.
Old 09-02-19, 04:51 AM
billyymc

Just let the Bolt upload to Strava and you can select the bike there.
Yeah I've had some of my riding buddies say that, but I don't even record all my rides, especially my commutes.
Old 09-02-19, 08:29 AM
JohnJ80

Yeah I've had some of my riding buddies say that, but I don't even record all my rides, especially my commutes.
The upload is seamless. You likely won’t even know it happened.
Old 09-02-19, 09:17 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
The bolt also comes with two mounts. I put the main mount on my roadie and the ziptie mounted one on my commuter. I can't see how having two computers on one bike would be easier than just twisting the Bolt off one and onto the other. It is just so simple, no wires. The Bolt comes with me when I vacation in case I find myself on a borrowed or rented bike too. I just keep it in my pocket to record the rides.

And the Bolt will record mileage even without a speed sensor using the GPS data. Why do you need anything else?
Old 09-02-19, 12:47 PM
billyymc

The upload is seamless. You likely won’t even know it happened.
Yep, I get that. But I literally don't record all my rides with my GPS. I just don't care to know what my commute to work and back was like on any given day. Maybe it's silly but it feels like digital clutter to me.
Old 09-02-19, 02:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Yep, I get that. But I literally don't record all my rides with my GPS. I just don't care to know what my commute to work and back was like on any given day. Maybe it's silly but it feels like digital clutter to me.
Comes a time when that traditional computer dies, batteries need replacing, etc... then you might find yourself just using the Bolt all the time. It’s not exactly a difficult process to swap to different bikes, I use 4 bikes on a regular basis and it’s just natural now. As well, the save feature is a one button push at the end of a ride. On my Garmin I press stop, and Save. Done. Uploaded. Can ignore the info, never use it, whatever, but it’s not like the device makes it complicated.
Old 09-02-19, 07:29 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Miles are miles. It doesn't matter which bike or how you ride them. If I'm looking at individual rides I always know which are commutes.

I guess I don't get how just letting the Bolt record on every ride is any kind of hassle and in any way more of a hassle than dealing with 2 computers.
Old 09-02-19, 08:17 PM
billyymc

Originally Posted by zacster
Miles are miles. It doesn't matter which bike or how you ride them. If I'm looking at individual rides I always know which are commutes.

I guess I don't get how just letting the Bolt record on every ride is any kind of hassle and in any way more of a hassle than dealing with 2 computers.
It's really not more of a hassle. I know I'm being a bit weird about it, I just don't want that record in Strava (or rwgps - I use both).

Honestly, I don't even like using Strava - not a fan of the whole "kudos" for riding a few miles thing. I only use it because the guys I ride with don't use rwgps, and occassionally I record a ride I think they'd be interested in seeing.
Old 09-02-19, 08:19 PM
billyymc

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Comes a time when that traditional computer dies, batteries need replacing, etc... then you might find yourself just using the Bolt all the time. It’s not exactly a difficult process to swap to different bikes, I use 4 bikes on a regular basis and it’s just natural now. As well, the save feature is a one button push at the end of a ride. On my Garmin I press stop, and Save. Done. Uploaded. Can ignore the info, never use it, whatever, but it’s not like the device makes it complicated.
I guess the tiny additional complication is that you have to go select which bike you rode. Like I said - I know it's not really rational, I just don't like recording every ride for posterity on Strava (and I only have a very limited number of followers anyway!).
Old 09-02-19, 08:27 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
It's really not more of a hassle. I know I'm being a bit weird about it, I just don't want that record in Strava (or rwgps - I use both).

Honestly, I don't even like using Strava - not a fan of the whole "kudos" for riding a few miles thing. I only use it because the guys I ride with don't use rwgps, and occassionally I record a ride I think they'd be interested in seeing.
The Elemnt also records total mileage and displays it in the app (and I think on the head unit), although, yes, you have to record your ride using it. No need to upload to Strava/RwGPS, etc.
Old 09-02-19, 08:46 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

I guess the tiny additional complication is that you have to go select which bike you rode. Like I said - I know it's not really rational, I just don't like recording every ride for posterity on Strava (and I only have a very limited number of followers anyway!).
I don’t use Strava, I use Ride With GPS. It’s my ride tracker as well as route generator. All my rides are private unless I choose to share. RWGPS is where I track stuff like repairs, bike mileage, etc....
Old 09-02-19, 10:57 PM
JohnJ80

The connectivity is one of the strengths of the Bolt. Unclear why you bought one?
Old 09-03-19, 03:36 AM
billyymc

The connectivity is one of the strengths of the Bolt. Unclear why you bought one?
Primarily for the turn by turn capability. I do quite a few longish rides with routes that get quite complex. Lots of those are in the countryside / forest roads where markings arent' great. I had been writing my own abbreviated cue sheets and taping them to my top tube. And still missing turns at times.

As for connectivity, I'm one of those weirdos who likes to be unconnected sometimes.

Appreciate all the comments. I picked up a Cateye wireless for the bike and will see how it plays with the Bolt. If they dont' play well together then I guess I'll use the Bolt for the purposes I"m stating and just not upload everything to Strava (just tally it in the Elemnt app itself).
Old 09-03-19, 05:12 AM
Steve B.

Primarily for the turn by turn capability. I do quite a few longish rides with routes that get quite complex. Lots of those are in the countryside / forest roads where markings arent' great. I had been writing my own abbreviated cue sheets and taping them to my top tube. And still missing turns at times. I'll use the Bolt for the purposes I"m stating and just not upload everything to Strava (just tally it in the Elemnt app itself).
So how are you creating these routes ?. The easiest method is on-line at RWGPS, then dump to the device. Trying to do it on the Wahoo mobile app is a PITA, in my opinion. Sounds like you like and use the better features of the Bolt, just have no need to use every ride and no need to upload to Strava. The device requires neither.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.