Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortleib map cases - experience? Durability?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 10-22-19, 09:23 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

Does anyone else use the Ortleib map cases? What can you share from some long term use of them?

I have had one and decided to try it on my last ride - not for a map but a tablet. It works very well for the purpose. I used to use the tablet on a RAM mount but I'd rather trim down the accessory mounts to just my phone and bike computer, if that (may chuck the phone in the bar bag from now on - got my alerts set up on the bike computer - Garmin Edge 1000 - so I got the essentials covered there for both).

My concern with the map case is the durability of the material. I am familiar with Esenglass in marine canvas (camper tops for boats for example - Esenglass is the window material). It tends to shrink over time. It also gets stiffer and more brittle as it gets colder.

I don't expect the Ortleib map case to last for ever, but if you have used one routinely - how long have you been able to get one to last?
Old 10-23-19, 05:28 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I have an Ortlieb handle bag. In fact I am on my 3rd. with a "new" design map case on each one.
Two things. I tried using my phone inside of it but could not activate the screen. Maybe the wrong type of plastic. Second I find the attachment system to the bag to be very poor. I have written Ortlieb about it. I have it come loose quite often with just paper maps. We spent 3 months this summer cycling across Europe and I had an ongoing struggle with the map case.
Old 10-23-19, 06:29 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I have a very old Ortlieb handlebar bag. I think I purchased it about 20 years ago. I mostly mount it only when I'm going on a tour. I think that the map case disintegrated after about 10 years. Prior to falling apart, it became increasingly cloudy and therefore difficult to read anything without taking it out of the case. Everything about the map case was a poor design, including the material.
Old 10-23-19, 07:56 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I have the Ortlieb Ultimate Map Case and have used it for two tours totaling around 1,600 miles. And as far as I can tell, it's as good as the day it was new.

It does what it is designed to do (display paper maps). I mount it to an Ortlieb Ultimate 6M Classic handlebar bag. I'm a little surprised it doesn't mount a little better than it does. One corner seems to unhook occasionally.

However, I did quickly ship it home from the tour I just did through Death Valley, the Mojave N.P., Joshua Tree, Flagstaff, AZ, as it only took two days to realize it was reflecting the desert sun up onto my face like one of those old-fashioned mirror reflectors people used to use to tan their faces.

But I will definitely continue to use it when I can. Nothing beats a paper map; at least in the areas I tour.
Old 10-23-19, 08:17 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Originally Posted by Brett A
I have the Ortlieb Ultimate Map Case and have used it for two tours totaling around 1,600 miles. And as far as I can tell, it's as good as the day it was new.
How old is the map case? Like when was it purchased?

Back to the Esenglass example - the material itself seems like it has a "shelf life", whether or not you "use" it. Does the material Ortleib uses for the map case behave similarly?
Old 10-23-19, 08:37 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I have an Ultimate-6 with map, never liked the attachment system, and my case is now torn. I am going to try making one with magnets like this:
Old 10-23-19, 08:45 AM
KC8QVO

Is this the attachment system that people dont like? If so - what about it dont you like on a trip?

Old 10-23-19, 09:20 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mine's about 10 years old, and it saw about 6 years use before I started trusting Goofy, the Garmin. Of course, I haven't been on any long tours for which I couldn't or didn't download the courses ahead of time since then.

The map case was getting a little scuffed, but I could still read cue sheets or maps through it most of the time. It's weak spot, not surprisingly, is water on the case is hard to read through. Also, I found that although the case is waterproof when it's rolled up and sealed, it seems that every time you open it to turn a map or cue sheet over, moisture gets in, evaporates, and condenses on the inside of the top, fogging it up. If you find a good overhang and have something dry, it's possible to wipe it off, but it's still annoying. Wipe the top off Goofy, OTH, swipe back to the screen you wanted, and it's legible while rolling.
Old 10-23-19, 11:06 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
My wife and I have used Ortlieb bar bags for 12 years and changed the map cases at about ten years (20,000 miles of touring use). They were still OK but getting a little discolored from the sun. My wife and I both replaced map cases at the same time. Our old cases were still usable so they are now on our daughters' Ortlieb bar bags.

We have the older bar bags which uses snaps to fasten the map case to the bag. It is easy to connect and take off the bag and fastens the case securely to the bag's lid.

My wife and daughters uses the Ultimate 5 series bags and I use the Classic series bag. Between us we have tested the map cases pretty rigorously When we bought our daughters bar bags for Christmas a few years ago, we looked for the older bags that used snaps rather than magnets for closure and attachments.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-23-19 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-23-19, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
It was OK but getting a little discolored from the sun. It was still usable so it is on my daughter's Ortlieb bar bag now.
Did you also give her your old Grand Marquis when you bought your new Audi Quatro?
Old 10-23-19, 12:31 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by Doug64
we looked for the older bags that used snaps rather than magnets for closure and attachments.
Thank you for the detail in your post. Trimming to my question there...

On the snap closures - one of my riding buddy's bar bag uses the snaps - older series bags than mine. I have to say, I like the magnets after using the bag with them. What is it with the snaps that you like over the magnets?

I keep my bag pretty full. Most of the time it is the only bag I carry on my rides (not touring) - between tools, gear, and food it is about max'ed out. The only issue I have with it is the lid fabric folds under itself but once I straighten that out and get the lid sides to lay over top the bottom the magnet snap it closed real easy and no need to mess with lining up snaps.

Maybe there is something I am missing on the function of the snaps that is better than magnets?
Old 10-23-19, 03:50 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Did you also give her your old Grand Marquis when you bought your new Audi Quatro?
No, but I gave her my Fiat 128 when I bought a new pickup. She was 16. The other daughter got our old Toyota Corolla when she left for collage

Last edited by Doug64; 10-23-19 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-23-19, 04:05 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Thank you for the detail in your post. Trimming to my question there...

On the snap closures - one of my riding buddy's bar bag uses the snaps - older series bags than mine. I have to say, I like the magnets after using the bag with them. What is it with the snaps that you like over the magnets?

I keep my bag pretty full. Most of the time it is the only bag I carry on my rides (not touring) - between tools, gear, and food it is about max'ed out. The only issue I have with it is the lid fabric folds under itself but once I straighten that out and get the lid sides to lay over top the bottom the magnet snap it closed real easy and no need to mess with lining up snaps.

Maybe there is something I am missing on the function of the snaps that is better than magnets?
We looked at the newer series bags with the magnet closure and just were not impressed with them. I really can't give you a specific reason. Just looking at it and playing with the newer bags in the store, my wife and I came to the same conclusion that it was not an improvement. I've never used one, so my bias is based on first impressions in the store. Your assessment is a lot more valid than mine.

Straightening the lid when closing the top is needed on all the bags regardless of hardware.
Old 10-25-19, 06:54 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
KC, my experience pretty much line up with the others here who are positive about the ortlieb map cases.
Mine also is an older one, that used the snaps.
My wife has a never bag, the one with magnets, but doesnt have a map case. When I got her bag, and looking at them in stores beforehand, my impression was that I didnt like the magnet only system, that it would be easier for someone to open in and pickpocket stuff when walking around with it--which for me was a real concern for some of my trips, so Im glad I have the old one with snaps. I was also concerned about if my camera would topple out if myh bike fell over, wondering if the weight of the camera would open the top in a spill.
My wife recently had a tumbe and I was surprised that the lid didnt open up--but in any case, this is all a moot point given that its been years that the snap model is gone.

specifically to your question, my map holder has faded a bit, or yellowed a bit, but its still entirely useable, and is probably about 7 or 8 years old, I cant recall.

here we come to most important thing though--having used various map cases over the years, the Ortlieb is THE one that due to its roll top velcro closing system, is the only one that actually keeps maps dry in constant rain.
The case size is larger than a lot of map cases, which is also really nice to use and appreciated for less often "removing anf refolding" a map when on a long trip or using a closer detailed map.

these two last points are the main reasons that their map cases have such a good reputation. Size and genuiune waterproofness is what you really want in a map case.

even though I havent used the newer type, it must be fairly good and must hold the case on securely. Ortlieb has too much of a reputation not to make something that works very well.

and to link to your other thread question, yes paper maps are still very useful and I still like using them, in addition to tech stuff if needed.
Likes For djb:
Old 10-28-19, 08:09 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
How old is the map case? Like when was it purchased?
I've only had it for around four years. In that time, it's been out in the elements (sun mostly) for a total of 10 weeks.
Likes For Brett A: