Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show me your cat

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show me your cat

Old 11-03-19, 09:10 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I am reposting this pic from 4 1/2 years ago. Holly had a stroke and gave up her spirit in my arms this morning. She was my lap cat. That's the second feline family member lost this year. Sheesh 😿😿
-----

So sad to read of your loss.

I hope you will always remember how very fortunate she was to have found such a loving home with you.

-----
Old 11-05-19, 01:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
My 15-year-old Harry. Also, the Great Harry Beast, and most often, Butthead. I've had him since he was a wee six-week-old kitten I could hold in one hand. His eyes used to be so pale; white-green in the sun.

Blep
Likes For Korina:
Old 11-05-19, 05:51 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Such a pretty girl! I lost two this year myself. I'm so sorry. The second on is tougher, IMO. Wishing you good thoughts of your Holly.
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

So sad to read of your loss.

I hope you will always remember how very fortunate she was to have found such a loving home with you.

-----
Thank you very much. I have one left, pictured back in Post 1581.
She is a younger adult that hates being picked up at all without very loud protest and much squirming, but begs to be picked up by the scruff of her neck and remains perfectly still and silent the whole time. Must think I'm her mother.
Old 11-05-19, 06:20 PM
juvela

Thank you very much. I have one left, pictured back in Post 1581.
She is a younger adult that hates being picked up at all without very loud protest and much squirming, but begs to be picked up by the scruff of her neck and remains perfectly still and silent the whole time. Must think I'm her mother.
-----

I never fail to find it fascinating how they are just like us - no shortage of eccentricities and quirks!

If a kitty doesn't like the way you are doing things it WILL TRAIN YOU.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 11-09-19 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 11-06-19, 12:11 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
My youngest cat, the 16-month-old, semi-feral Harry, surprised me by climbing up and being a lap kitty last evening. This is what a cat looks like when smiling -

Old 11-07-19, 08:08 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Chillin’

Me and Max chillin’...first day of my off season!

I need a cat’s back bone!
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 11-07-19, 10:09 AM
ldmataya 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
This is Aria. I didn't ask her to guard the Bottecchia, she volunteered.
Likes For ldmataya:
Old 11-09-19, 08:30 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 91 Posts
I am reposting this pic from 4 1/2 years ago. Holly had a stroke and gave up her spirit in my arms this morning. She was my lap cat. That's the second feline family member lost this year. Sheesh ����

I'm so sorry about Holly. I lost Indy and Wendy over the last month or two. Why must their lives be so short?

Last edited by RichSPK; 11-09-19 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Quick Reply doesn't work quite like I thought...
Old 11-09-19, 12:38 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about everyone's recent losses. We get so attached to our furry little critters and then it hurts so bad when they pass on.
Likes For coopman:
Old 11-09-19, 02:06 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
I'm so sorry about Holly. I lost Indy and Wendy over the last month or two. Why must their lives be so short?
Originally Posted by coopman
I'm sorry to hear about everyone's recent losses. We get so attached to our furry little critters and then it hurts so bad when they pass on.
Thanks.
For good or bad, there is no shortage of Felis catus that are in need of good homes. They seem to find us. My next door neighbor is undergoing evaluation for dementia and for the ability to continue living alone. We will adopt her cat when the need arises. Ironically, some humans have to go to shelters as well as animals.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 11-09-19, 04:21 PM
juvela

Thanks.
For good or bad, there is no shortage of Felis catus that are in need of good homes. They seem to find us. My next door neighbor is undergoing evaluation for dementia and for the ability to continue living alone. We will adopt her cat when the need arises. Ironically, some humans have to go to shelters as well as animals.
-----

Upon reading this me first thought was that having a pet might well slow the onset/development of dementia. But then am only a layperson when it comes to health matters...

-----
Old 11-21-19, 06:59 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life. Music and cats. Albert Schweitzer
Farewell dear Mei Mei
Likes For rootboy:
Old 11-21-19, 07:12 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
My Helper Cat

This photo was not staged. In fact, I had to be very careful to grab my phone and take a pic without waking him. This is Ozzie, short for Oswald. We also had his brother, named Alfredo whome we called Alfie. Unfortunately Alfie contracted a disease and passed way too soon. We're not sure but believe it might have been feline leukemia. he is sorely missed.

Ozzie didn't always like to cuddle. In fact, Alfie was the lap cat whereas Ozzie like to be petted and brushed but didn't like to curl up on you. That changed after Alfie passed. Whenever I'm home, Ozzie is generally within a couple of feet of me. Sometimes curled up between my feet!

This picture was taken when I was doing some work on my computer. The keyboard you see to the right of my forearm is a second, personal computer. I figured cats like to chase mice so ......

It never ceases to amaze me when people say cats aren't loving or friendly. Clearly they've never lived with one. Mine greets me at the door every time I come home. He also hangs outside my bedroom door waiting for me to awake. As cat lovers know, they have an unbelievable sense of time. He gathers himself every morning at the same time and waits. If I hit a snooze or two, he scratches at the door because he knows I'm late.

And yes, he is intrigued whenever I work on bikes. He has to check everything out to make sure I'm doing it right.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 11-21-19, 07:20 AM
TugaDude

Alfie's rock, which is in my backyard under the oak tree. His memorial sits next to another, my daughter's cat Finley. Finley was awesome and also died way too young. I miss them both.

My boy Alfie, or Alfredo. We gave the job of naming the two brothers to my youngest kids. They chose Oswald and Alfredo. Don't have a clue as to why, but it was fine with me.

Since that picture was taken, I painted in the blue lettering on the rock. You can't see it too well, but all of the letters are recessed, I used a Dremel with a grinding stone. Worked OK. I then painted in the depressions with gloss black enamel. It is holding up great.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 11-21-19, 08:30 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 196 Posts
A daily recurrence... Whether scratching her head on the quills, or nibbling on toe straps, Sophie spends her fair share of time near the bike.

Likes For deux jambes:
Old 11-22-19, 08:17 AM
TugaDude

Twin Cat

Originally Posted by deux jambes
A daily recurrence... Whether scratching her head on the quills, or nibbling on toe straps, Sophie spends her fair share of time near the bike.

Sophie looks identical to Ozzie. Same brownness on the nose and everything. Cool cat!
Old 11-22-19, 03:06 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
I finally started an Instagram for the cats: https://www.instagram.com/seismic_cats/
I should have done it about 8 years ago, but, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - give it a follow for adorbs.

Here's Rayleigh telling my wife she's doing it wrong

and here's Love telling my wife its time to put the game down
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 11-22-19, 04:41 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Tigger and Princess.

Tigger is 10 years old now, loves relaxing on the patio on a cool fall day

Tigger is a good relaxer.

Princess is 14, the last survivor of a litter of 4 that we rescued. She still moves pretty fast. Still semi feral after all these years.

A rare shot of Princess standing still.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 11-22-19 at 04:50 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 11-22-19, 10:14 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Earl Grey

I'm a newcomer to BikeForums, and after finding this thread, I'm kicking myself for waiting so long! I've got two cat stories to share.

Earl Grey, or Earlybird as he's most commonly called, came to our Michigan doorstep on a day in December with a predicted low of 10 degrees Fahrenheit. We weren't quite ready for a cat, but he was persuasive. Had a great personality from the beginning!

We were out for the holidays, so I had a student of mine take care of him. When we opened the door on our return, a wave of musk hit us in the faces. We got one of those UV lights, and the whole place lit up like a crime scene. He was an intact male, and he was marking his territory from the loud chihuahua next door.

We knew we had to get him fixed, but I was concerned it would change his personality. We took him to the local cats-only clinic, and were greeted by a no-nonsense, business-like doc. She unceremoniously greeted us, and said to drop by before closing to pick him up.

When we returned, I was feeling like a nervous papa. The doc handed him over, reassuring us that everything went well. She said to keep him from licking the "area" and that he'd be woozy for a few more hours. Then, she hesitated, seeming to have some internal debate. She looked at me, and then at my wife.

Finally she said, "I'm sorry, I just have to tell you...your cat had the largest testicles I've ever seen in my career."

We're proud of our little...big...guy. He's traveled with us on many adventures, and now takes residence with us in NYC, where we occasionally walk him. Maybe someday I'll manage to get him comfortable on a bicycle with me...

Glamor shot

Queens, NY

Last edited by countalmaviva; 11-22-19 at 10:52 PM.
Likes For countalmaviva:
Old 11-22-19, 10:22 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
"Lucky"

The second cat story I have is from my coast-to-coast ride in 2006. I shared this already in another sub-forum, I believe, but the gist is that I found a kitten on a highway in Missouri. It was farmland, and I knocked on a few doors, but didn't have any luck finding him a home. So, I took him in one of my rear panniers 20 miles to the nearest town. I eventually found him a home with the local cat-lover. I called a few times the following year, and Lucky was doing just fine.

I just couldn't bear the thought of this tiny kitten alone in the middle of a highway! The full story is here (day 53).
Likes For countalmaviva:
Old 11-23-19, 12:12 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by countalmaviva
(...)

Queens, NY
Nice!

Tried this a few times, with several different cats, but never really successfully.

Old 11-23-19, 12:14 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Felix, saving an otherwise uninteresting picture of a saddle:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-23-19, 12:17 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Different angle better? Nope.

Old 11-23-19, 12:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by countalmaviva

Queens, NY

I've been working on Latte.

She will move her head around a bit, but accepts the harness fine. We've tried walking a bit, but so far it is only if she wants to go somewhere.

Mostly I still stuff her inside of my coat, and use the leash as a control just in case she gets away for some reason.

She will walk on the leash, but only if I can motivate her to want to go in the direction I'm going.

I don't like dragging her, but perhaps that will be part of the training. More treats?

She likes the bike trailer, but really likes her litter box. I'm still working on trying to break her of her litter training.
Old 11-23-19, 05:34 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 260 Posts

The Keeper of the Flame is on duty for another winter season.
Likes For PilotFishBob:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.