Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-24, 11:48 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26431 Post(s)
Liked 10,387 Times in 7,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
That's only one of the reasons why his argument is nonsensical.
...labeling some point you specifically requested, as nonsensical, without further discussion, is an essential tactic of the semantic blowhard. It passes for enlightened discussion in these threads though. So enjoy. I'll hope that, at the very least, we've put the whole "(These are serious questions that I’d like you to address, rather than dismiss with some pithy remark)" thing to bed. As already stated:

... why go into this digression ? You and I both know it's in hope of finding something else you can tease out of my reply to use as another avenue of attack. Why not just find another outlet ?
Old 04-07-24, 11:51 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by smd4
He used to start pissing matches with me too, but couldn’t take it and finally put me on ignore. I wish you the same good fortune.
...I would like to say I understand the motivation here, but I don't. To me it seems like some sort of personality disorder related to the internet and penis size. But I'm not a disinterested observer. I'm a refugee who feels threatened. *snork*
Old 04-07-24, 03:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10447 Post(s)
Liked 11,932 Times in 6,106 Posts
It's always fun when people who can't let it go accuse other people who can't let it go of not being able to let it go.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-07-24, 04:03 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Aerodynamics is not a question of GROUND SPEED, it's a question of AIR SPEED. I routinely ride into headwinds that add 10-15 mph to my air speed, even if my ground speed is only 15-20 mph. IOW, my air speed could be 35 mph. At times, I even go downhill into that same headwind at speeds up to 30 mph. So, "If you're not a racer, you're not going fast enough for aerodynamics to matter" is a nonsensical argument.
This is true!

OTOH, if you crouch down another inch, you have lessened air resistance more already than all the aero a bike can give you, unless you switch to a recumbent.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 04-07-24, 04:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Fredo76
This is true!

OTOH, if you crouch down another inch, you have lessened air resistance more already than all the aero a bike can give you, unless you switch to a recumbent.
OYAH*, if you crouch down another inch, and you're already riding a more aerodynamic bike, you're even more aero.

*(On Yet Another Hand.) How many you got?

Old 04-07-24, 04:30 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,683 Posts
It's always fun when people who can't let it go accuse other people who can't let it go of not being able to let it go.
One of the few posts in this thread I wish I could like multiple times.
Old 04-07-24, 05:31 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-07-24, 05:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 5,672 Times in 2,929 Posts
I can but you can’t. No…. I can’t but you can. No…it could be the other way around or backwards.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-07-24, 06:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10981 Post(s)
Liked 7,505 Times in 4,199 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Well , I am not into 11-12 speeds shimano groupsets because of cable eating shifter issues and problematic bonded cranksets...
You do you, as you proudly do, despite your ever growing list of ignorant and incorrect claims. Just figured I would push back a bit on your long winded rant about all the horrors and downsides to modern Shimano.

You don't need to use a bonded crankset to ride shimano 11 and 12sp. So that's an absurd reason to not use Shimano road tech from the last decade.
The cable fray issue is way overblown. Just spend $10 on 2 new shift cables each year and ride. Yes there will be a report of someone chewing a shift cable in 6mo, but there will also be a report of someone riding their 11sp Shimano bike for 3 years with the same cables. You ride steel frames even though there are obviously examples of steel frames failing.

Anyways, just say you prefer something because of emotion and not logic. It's a hobby- it's OK to have preferences that are emotion based.
Old 04-07-24, 06:29 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
"No, it isn't!"

YES IT IS!!!

Old 04-07-24, 06:41 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
First contribution to this thread.
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
... qft. It's interesting you see proprietary parts as a positive development in this technology of bicycles. Meanwhile, the chain drive, derailleur shifted bike you ride around on is based on a drive train concept that was developed and perfected over those years you say you know nothing about. But now you can shift it with a servo motor. That's some high tech right there, boy.
Approximately 50 other argumentative posts in between. Ending with this charmer.

...I would like to say I understand the motivation here, but I don't. To me it seems like some sort of personality disorder related to the internet and penis size. But I'm not a disinterested observer. I'm a refugee who feels threatened. *snork*
None have anything to do with the actual topic of the thread of why are current high end bikes so expensive.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 04-07-24 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-07-24, 07:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

OYAH*, if you crouch down another inch, and you're already riding a more aerodynamic bike, you're even more aero.

*(On Yet Another Hand.) How many you got?
...oooh, ooh, I got one !!

If you only ride downhill, you'll be taking full advantage of your new, expensive, CF race bike.
Old 04-07-24, 07:24 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged

None have anything to do with the actual topic of the thread of why are current high end bikes so expensive.
...I thought the reasoning was they are so expensive, because of all the R+D ? I'm not even the guy who brought that idea into the thread. What am I missing ? Other than that you are counting my posts here. AS I've said several times already (you can for sure find it in one of those argumentative posts you're counting)....I don't see the past 20 years of bicycle tech as some sort of two wheeled moonshot. A lot of that tech either borrows from the past, or from other tech advances in the present.

If bikes are expensive because of all the R+D, a chain drive with servo motor derailleur shifting is not a lot of bang for the buck.

BTW, this one is coincidental from my ride today. I'm standing on the bridge, watching the river and stretching, at the turnaround. There's a guy on the other railing, opposite, with Di 2 equipped Canyon. Another guy rides up to him and asks for some help...he wants to borrow his battery to shift into a get home gear. His is dead. Canyon guy obliges, they exchange some banter about always carrying a spare battery, etc.

I continue to stretch. Then I ride home on the PX-10 I chose today.
Old 04-07-24, 07:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...a typical enlightened comment on CF bike frames, made up on the spur of the moment :

Hey, man, CFRP is a space age material. They use that **** in airplanes and rocket ships. Bikes made from it are expensive because the bike industry had to invent the stuff, and all the molding and forming techniques.
Old 04-07-24, 08:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

...oooh, ooh, I got one !!

If you only ride downhill, you'll be taking full advantage of your new, expensive, CF race bike.
Or, only those who can exceed 2000 watts in a sprint, after doing a miles of solo breakaway, and climbing Alpe d'Huez solo, then descending like Pidcock, all over cobbles, are taking full advantage of their new, expensive CF race bikes. Because if they're not doing all of that, they're not getting the full benefit.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-07-24, 08:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Or, only those who can exceed 2000 watts in a sprint, after doing a miles of solo breakaway, and climbing Alpe d'Huez solo, then descending like Pidcock, all over cobbles, are taking full advantage of their new, expensive CF race bikes. Because if they're not doing all of that, they're not getting the full benefit.

...that's a harsh judgement. I would say anyone who races professionally is probably taking full advantage of the bike. I mean, they mostly get them for free, so how much return benefit do they need to get to take full advantage ?
Old 04-07-24, 08:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

...that's a harsh judgement. I would say anyone who races professionally is probably taking full advantage of the bike. I mean, they mostly get them for free, so how much return benefit do they need to get to take full advantage ?
So, if getting them free means they get great return benefit, what about people with a LOT of disposable income, so that $15,000 for a bike is a trivial expense? Compare that to someone for whom it's a significant expense, but then they both ride exactly the same. Is the rich guy taking more advantage?

Old 04-07-24, 08:50 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
...I thought the reasoning was they are so expensive, because of all the R+D ? I'm not even the guy who brought that idea into the thread. What am I missing ? Other than that you are counting my posts here. AS I've said several times already (you can for sure find it in one of those argumentative posts you're counting)....I don't see the past 20 years of bicycle tech as some sort of two wheeled moonshot. A lot of that tech either borrows from the past, or from other tech advances in the present.

If bikes are expensive because of all the R+D, a chain drive with servo motor derailleur shifting is not a lot of bang for the buck.

BTW, this one is coincidental from my ride today. I'm standing on the bridge, watching the river and stretching, at the turnaround. There's a guy on the other railing, opposite, with Di 2 equipped Canyon. Another guy rides up to him and asks for some help...he wants to borrow his battery to shift into a get home gear. His is dead. Canyon guy obliges, they exchange some banter about always carrying a spare battery, etc.

I continue to stretch. Then I ride home on the PX-10 I chose today.
Truth may be stranger than fiction, but fiction can weave tales that captivate the imagination beyond the boundaries of reality. Your story falls apart pretty rapidly, with an estimated 200km emergency mode allowing for the supposed “get home gear” and that the battery is internal resulting in the need for some pretty serious effort to borrow a strangers battery, much less carry a spare. There is absolutely nothing that is even within the realm of believability in that tale.

A modern Di2 battery will last between 2000 and 5000 kilometers per charge. This depends a bit on how often you shift and also your shifting style. The front derailleur has to work harder than the rear derailleur and therefore also consumes more energy.This means that if you use the front derailleur a lot your battery will run out a bit quicker – don’t let this stop you from using the front derailleur though. It takes most people months to ride 2000-5000km and most Di2 users don’t charge their bikes more than three times a year.

Once the battery level reaches 10% the front derailleur will stop working. This way the most battery-hungry operations are disabled and you should be able to finish your ride using just the rear derailleur.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 04-07-24 at 09:07 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-07-24, 09:01 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

So, if getting them free means they get great return benefit, what about people with a LOT of disposable income, so that $15,000 for a bike is a trivial expense? Compare that to someone for whom it's a significant expense, but then they both ride exactly the same. Is the rich guy taking more advantage?
...I won't go there in General. It's too political when you start talking about income disparity.
Old 04-07-24, 09:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Truth may be stranger than fiction, but fiction can weave tales that captivate the imagination beyond the boundaries of reality.
...so are you saying I made up that story ? Coming from the guy who counts my posts, I'm both flattered, and a little worried about stalking.

I guess you had to be there. I remember wondering why the guy couldn't just jerk his rear derailleur into place, and shift the chain by hand. But then I remembered the tiny servo motor. Maybe someone with Di 2 can explain it to me. I don't have it myself.
Old 04-07-24, 10:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-24, 04:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked 4,885 Times in 3,025 Posts

More important is that you're going along at slower speeds than the cat 1 racer crowd. So taking "full advantage" of the aero profiles is dubious, at best.
Amateur riders actually get more benefit (time saved over a course) from reduced aero drag than pros. This may not be intuitive at their lower speeds, but it is a fact.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-08-24, 08:03 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Amateur riders actually get more benefit (time saved over a course) from reduced aero drag than pros. This may not be intuitive at their lower speeds, but it is a fact.
...yes, it is not intuitive. As I said before, this is not something I ever did for a living. So here's another teaching moment for you. How exactly does that work ? My amateur's understanding tells me that drag increases roughly with the square of speed. What major thing am I missing ? Isn't that the reason for reducing the drag coefficient through wind tunnel testing of different shapes at various speeds ? Feel free to leave out wind as a complicating factor, as I certainly have.

IOW, drag (and design of a bike to minimize it), has dramatically increased at speeds of 25 mph and up. So the faster riders are "getting more advantage" from the design. I don't honestly know how much "time saved over a course" either group is experiencing. It seems you do. What is missing in my thinking on this ?

Last edited by 3alarmer; 04-08-24 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-08-24, 09:21 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 406 Posts
...yes, it is not intuitive. As I said before, this is not something I ever did for a living. So here's another teaching moment for you. How exactly does that work ? My amateur's understanding tells me that drag increases roughly with the square of speed. What major thing am I missing ? Isn't that the reason for reducing the drag coefficient through wind tunnel testing of different shapes at various speeds ? Feel free to leave out wind as a complicating factor, as I certainly have.

IOW, drag (and design of a bike to minimize it), has dramatically increased at speeds of 25 mph and up. So the faster riders are "getting more advantage" from the design. I don't honestly know how much "time saved over a course" either group is experiencing. It seems you do. What is missing in my thinking on this ?
Watts per CDA ratio. Lower watts/slower riders benefit more, in terms of % of the power you are riding at, than a faster rider. Say for example 10w savings at 200w vs 15w savings at 400w. The faster rider saves more watts, but less in terms of % of overall.

Same for rolling resistance, drivetrain resistance... even weight.

Last edited by Jughed; 04-08-24 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-08-24, 09:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked 4,885 Times in 3,025 Posts

In simple terms it is because the reduction in aero drag from the bike is a larger percentage of the amateur rider’s total power output. The absolute aero drag is lower because of the lower speed, but they are exposed to the air for a longer period of time over the same course.

So when all the numbers are crunched it is actually the amateurs who stand to win the most time gain from their aero bikes.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.