Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike fit: Tom Boonen says pffft.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 04:29 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Interesting article about Boonen and his bike in Pro Cycling this month. Among the standout comments:
His seat is 2cm lower than what it is "supposed" to be-he discovered it by accident.
He uses Campy 180mm cranks in aluminum, because they don't make carbon ones that long.
He uses a fixed cleat, no float, says it's easier on his knees.

So much for fit rules.

Old 12-22-05, 04:36 PM
jimbud

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had allways used the red floating look cleat on all my bikes and I noticed how much my foot and knee moved around (side movement) while pedaling. I went to the black fixed look cleat could feel a improvement in power transfer.
Old 12-22-05, 05:03 PM
bvfrompc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Interesting article about Boonen and his bike in Pro Cycling this month. Among the standout comments:
His seat is 2cm lower than what it is "supposed" to be-he discovered it by accident.
He uses Campy 180mm cranks in aluminum, because they don't make carbon ones that long.

So much for fit rules.
******THIS JUST IN******

BICYCLE FIT IS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYBODY
Old 12-22-05, 05:09 PM
theshoemaker
Jacko nose historian

Bikes: 2006 52cm Trek 2200, Specialized Rockhopper (gets infrequent use unfortunately)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently I got a new bike and started with a similar difference from the previous bike and noticed the ease on the knees as well! ...funny.
Old 12-22-05, 05:09 PM
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really depends what the 'supposed' he's referring to is, and it also really can't be properly ascertained if it is more effective without a proper scientific study.

'My saddle dropped and I like it better' isn't really the most definitive way of determining something.

Boonen does ride a crazily small bike for his height though. The 180mm cranks are the only sensible part of his setup.
Old 12-22-05, 05:14 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This makes me think of pictures I've seen of Sean Kelly. His position was far off from what many fitters would consider to be "ideal". Very successful nonetheless. Who knows?
Old 12-22-05, 05:37 PM
squeegy200

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many professionals have stated that their fit requirements will change over the course of their careers. My own personal fitter mentioned that he repeats fittings for many of his professional racers once every few years.
06 NYCbikes Single Speed (John Deere Special)
Old 12-22-05, 05:42 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tom Boonen is awesome. If it works for him, what can you say? I hope we'll see some more head to head battles with Petacchi and McEwen next year.

I've started to prefer my saddle a little lower because it encourages me to spin. If I have more leg extension I get tempted to push too tall a gear, which hurts more in the end. The only sprinting I do is at yellow lights, but once I'm out of the saddle, it doesn't matter.
Old 12-22-05, 06:05 PM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bvfrompc
******THIS JUST IN******

BICYCLE FIT IS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYBODY

Ha...funny!

Boonen uses alu cranks coz he doesn't trust carbon.
Old 12-22-05, 07:43 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by EURO
It really depends what the 'supposed' he's referring to is, and it also really can't be properly ascertained if it is more effective without a proper scientific study.

'My saddle dropped and I like it better' isn't really the most definitive way of determining something.

Boonen does ride a crazily small bike for his height though. The 180mm cranks are the only sensible part of his setup.
He is a pro; he has coaches and trainers that do the 'supposed to be' stuff for him. Then, he promptly ignores the scientists and does what wins world championships. Winning is a far better measure than some power tap graph of wattage versus seat height etc.
Old 12-22-05, 08:01 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Winning is a far better measure than some power tap graph of wattage versus seat height etc.
I've never liked that "blanket" point of view. What's to say a little science can't improve someone? Lemond was winning so he was signed by Guimard in the early 80s, who promptly raised his saddle height significantly (for a reference, read Lemond's book). Lance would have won a lot too, but his performance was clearly improved by his dedication to science. Basso's TT was far below his climbing until he improved his position before this past season. The point is that someone winning does not preclude improvement.

Anyway... I wonder if Boonen would be better if his saddle was higher, fit "improved", etc. The story of Lance and the Trek/"F1" narrowbike is interesting here: it was "supposed" to be vastly superior to his old TT bike and position, but guess what? His power numbers dropped so that was that, back to the old TT bike, despite the zillions of dollars spent to develop the new one.

Enough rambling...
Old 12-22-05, 08:20 PM
JASON R. TOMSIC
Ben? Victor Hugo.

Bikes: Novara Buzz w/ the wheels off of my Fillmore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, here's an idea, just ride. If it doesn't work, change something. If that doesn't work, change it again, or something else. In any event, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Old 12-22-05, 10:52 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whatever works for Tom, he's just awesome like that.
Old 12-23-05, 06:21 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to second the fixed cleat thing. I switched to the black non-floating cleat by accident (I'd always heard that float was good for your knees, and I didn't realize that the black cleats were different from the red when I bought them), and I was surprised that I actually felt better without the float. I broke my black cleat a while ago and switched back to some red I had laying around as a backup. What a difference. The float is actually annoying to me now, as it seems like a big waste of energy to have my feet moving around like that.

If you haven't tried pedals without float, give them a try.
Old 12-23-05, 08:00 AM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be fair, Boonen is the only cyclist that I know of with three "Legs". Probably knocks the conventional wisdom on the head, somewhat.

Old 12-23-05, 10:44 AM
DocRay

Originally Posted by EURO
Yeah, what the hell does Tom Boonen know about cycling and winning races. He should be doing more scientific studies so he can finish firster.

Old 12-23-05, 10:46 AM
DocRay

Originally Posted by ed073
Boonen uses alu cranks coz he doesn't trust carbon.
No. He specifically stated that he uses ally cranks because Campy, his sponsor, does not make 180mm carbon cranks. Campy does not make 180mm carbon cranks because there isn't enough demand.

Old 12-23-05, 11:03 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DXchulo
I have to second the fixed cleat thing. I switched to the black non-floating cleat by accident (I'd always heard that float was good for your knees, and I didn't realize that the black cleats were different from the red when I bought them), and I was surprised that I actually felt better without the float. I broke my black cleat a while ago and switched back to some red I had laying around as a backup. What a difference. The float is actually annoying to me now, as it seems like a big waste of energy to have my feet moving around like that.

If you haven't tried pedals without float, give them a try.
same with me. i hate the feeling of my foot moving around. the more i ride the more i want to be solidly attached to the pedal. float was good in determining where my foot should be to be comfortable, but once i figured it out i didn't welcome the movement.
Old 12-23-05, 11:32 AM
roadracer13
BianchiBeaatch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. He specifically stated that he uses ally cranks because Campy, his sponsor, does not make 180mm carbon cranks. Campy does not make 180mm carbon cranks because there isn't enough demand.
Just to add to DocRay's comments... Campy spends a lot of money on R&D... there cranks specifically. The truth about Campy carbon cranks is, they last longer than the alum cranks. I have seen the fail rate/time data. Campagnolo runs thousands of hours of tests on the carbon cranks... with each size crank arm. It would cost a ton of money for the Italians to do tests on 180mm Carbon cranks... it is not worth making only a few for the Pro's. Perhaps over time they may make the investment, but Campy has something really big in store for next year that will change some things... so I doubt it.

SQUARE TAPER BB RULE!! Well, at least Boonen did not have a problem winning races with it.
Old 12-23-05, 11:47 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbud
I had allways used the red floating look cleat on all my bikes and I noticed how much my foot and knee moved around (side movement) while pedaling. I went to the black fixed look cleat could feel a improvement in power transfer.
I've been rocking the black cleat since the mid-90's. My knees are so much better with no float. If you already have good knees, float is great. I can train my patella to track properly by forcing the correct alignment with the fixed cleat. I wish they made the same sort of things for mtn bikes.
Old 12-23-05, 11:50 AM
shaq-d
been ridin?

Bikes: serotta cti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So much for fit rules.
having 180mm cranks (over 170mm or 172.5mm) would account for a 1cm difference in saddle height. the other 1cm can go down to the usual +/- of fitkits. i'd say the fitkit worked just fine; +/- 1cm is pretty good.

sd
Old 12-23-05, 12:20 PM
DocRay

Originally Posted by roadracer13
Perhaps over time they may make the investment, but Campy has something really big in store for next year that will change some things... so I doubt it.
How big is really big? any hints?

Old 12-23-05, 12:27 PM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
He should be doing more scientific studies so he can finish firster.
LOL @ "firster".
Old 12-23-05, 12:40 PM
DocRay

One other thing, he double tapes his handlebars...sorry weight weenies.

Old 12-23-05, 09:56 PM
roadracer13
BianchiBeaatch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How big is really big? any hints?
I can't really say anything... I HATE to tease, but if I told THEY would know it was me. When I can leak info I will... I promise.

Love the Double Tap comment... good stuff.

Merry Holidaymas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.