Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I cannot get my cycling related pain issue solved :(

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-17, 08:40 AM
rbk_3

Bikes: Trek Emonda S6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me start by saying everything was fine the last 2 years including 2000km in July. This started in early August.

I did my first ride since last Tuesday yesterday, taking a week + off to let myself heal, and my pain is back. Only a 20k indoor ride. I know it's not that saddle or soft tissue as I had a fit last week and saddle pressure mapping showed no pressure on the soft tissues.

I'm not even sure exactly where it is coming from, somewhere above the perineum area/testicals maybe even up in the abdomen but it's not at the surface as the area is not tender at all. In the past I had perineum pain due to poor fitting Saddle and this so something totally different.

A dull ache that starts after my ride, and intensifies during the night and lasts for 4+ days. No pain or numbness during my ride at all.

I have made a doctors appointment for Tuesday to see if there is any other issues that may be causing it but with my past experience of doctor visits here, I don't have the highest expectation.

Googling online and I cannot find a similar situation to mine.
Old 09-01-17, 09:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
Getting used to a saddle can take time. Assuming the fore/aft position of the saddle is correct, you might need to adjust the tilt of the saddle. For me, anywhere from horizontal to slightly nose down. If have a LBS with a good fitter, you should go and discuss the issue with them.

Do you ride fairly intensely or just leisurely? Riding in an intense style general takes some body weight off of the small saddle we road bikers use. But if you are just using your bike for relatively leisurely rides where you don't use a lot of leg muscle, then your full weight will be on the saddle. In that case you might need a bigger saddle.
Old 09-01-17, 09:50 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Getting used to a saddle can take time. Assuming the fore/aft position of the saddle is correct, you might need to adjust the tilt of the saddle. For me, anywhere from horizontal to slightly nose down.

Do you ride fairly intensely or just leisurely? Riding in an intense style general takes some body weight off of the small saddle we road bikers use. But if you are just using your bike for relatively leisurely rides where you don't use a lot of leg muscle, then your full weight will be on the saddle. In that case you might need a bigger saddle.
It's the same Specialized Power I have had for 2 years that was fine before August. As mentioned, the pressure mapping showed no pressure on my soft tissue. I've experimented with tilt but it doesn't make a difference.

I average about 30kph on solo rides so they are pretty intense.

Last edited by rbk_3; 09-01-17 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 09:53 AM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rbk_3
Let me start by saying everything was fine the last 2 years including 2000km in July. This started in early August.

I did my first ride since last Tuesday yesterday, taking a week + off to let myself heal, and my pain is back. Only a 20k indoor ride. I know it's not that saddle or soft tissue as I had a fit last week and saddle pressure mapping showed no pressure on the soft tissues.

I'm not even sure exactly where it is coming from, somewhere above the perineum area/testicals maybe even up in the abdomen but it's not at the surface as the area is not tender at all. In the past I had perineum pain due to poor fitting Saddle and this so something totally different.

A dull ache that starts after my ride, and intensifies during the night and lasts for 4+ days. No pain or numbness during my ride at all.

I have made a doctors appointment for Tuesday to see if there is any other issues that may be causing it but with my past experience of doctor visits here, I don't have the highest expectation.

Googling online and I cannot find a similar situation to mine.

I always had ITBS after a couple of big months, riding too much too fast. 2000 k in July is a LOT. How much did you ride in Jun and May?
Old 09-01-17, 09:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
My doctors eyes glaze over when I talk to them about bicycling related things. But that is not to say that you don't need to make sure there is nothing medically wrong down there.

There are different saddle shapes for road bike saddles that may be more suited to whether your normal position is more aero or more upright. But that is something you'll have to hope you can find someone else to explain.
Old 09-01-17, 09:58 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuehhwa
I always had ITBS after a couple of big months, riding too much too fast. 2000 k in July is a LOT. How much did you ride in Jun and May?
0, I picked it up again June 30. I should clarify, it is actually a little over 2000 for July and August but most of it was July. Looking up the symptoms it isn't ITBS but I guess it could be an overuse injury that would go away if I take a month or 2 off.

It did start when I got more intense. I was 26-28kph and now more up to 30-31 avg.

Last edited by rbk_3; 09-01-17 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 10:06 AM
hsuehhwa

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
0, I picked it up again June 30. I should clarify, it is actually a little over 2000 for July and August but most of it was July. Looking up the symptoms it isn't ITBS but I guess it could be an overuse injury that would go away if I take a month or 2 off.

It's a lot of miles in a short time. What sort of pain do you have? Sounds like ITBS. Depending on the severity and your age, the recovery could take long.

When I first had ITBS in my 40s, I could only ride 10 mi without pain, then 15 mi, 20 mi, finally 30 mi, then it's gone. Now I learned to rest before it's getting too serious.
Old 09-01-17, 10:10 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuehhwa
It's a lot of miles in a short time. What sort of pain do you have? Sounds like ITBS. Depending on the severity and your age, the recovery could take long.

When I first had ITBS in my 40s, I could only ride 10 mi without pain, then 15 mi, 20 mi, finally 30 mi, then it's gone. Now I learned to rest before it's getting too serious.
It feels like it's above my junk up inside somewhere. Hard to pinpoint exactly where. Googling ITBS sounds like it more feels like knee pain?

Did it hurt at all when you're actually riding? I have no pain while riding.
Old 09-01-17, 10:10 AM
WT21

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
time for a soft tissue MRI?

Also, nerves can be pinched in one place, and show up as pain somewhere else. The back is notorious for that, though in my experience, it usually shows up somewhere other than where you are having issues.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-17, 10:12 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
You talked about pressure mapping in your later post but I don't see it in the first post. When was this done? I have heard of fit and pressure issues pop up because a saddle rail broke. If this saddle is a coupl eof years old as stated and you've been putting in a bunch of miles check the saddle over. Some models can even change over time. I remember the original Specialized Toupe. Fresh out of the box it fit me great...but after about a year the shell would develop flex and not support me properly.
Old 09-01-17, 10:14 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
You talked about pressure mapping in your later post but I don't see it in the first post. When was this done? I have heard of fit and pressure issues pop up because a saddle rail broke. If this saddle is a coupl eof years old as stated and you've been putting in a bunch of miles check the saddle over. Some models can even change over time. I remember the original Specialized Toupe. Fresh out of the box it fit me great...but after about a year the shell would develop flex and not support me properly.
This was done last Friday. I had a full bike fit. My pressure was pretty much perfect according to my fitter.
Old 09-01-17, 10:18 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
This was done last Friday. I had a full bike fit. My pressure was pretty much perfect according to my fitter.
Am I correct in understanding that the pain is in between your 'junk' and your belly button? If that's the case...I think this is way beyond the ability of any bike fitter to understand, much less fix. These guys are not doctors...they use experience with bicycles to help recreate comfortable positions on the bike for people.
Old 09-01-17, 10:21 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It feels like it's above my junk up inside somewhere. Hard to pinpoint exactly where. Googling ITBS sounds like it more feels like knee pain?

Did it hurt at all when you're actually riding? I have no pain while riding.
I've had something that sounds similar, but mine is not bothered by cycling...at least I'm comfortable on the bike. Silly question...... Does it hurt to kneel for an extended time? Sex?

My Dr couldn't find anything wrong. It's slowly going away on it's own. Thought for sure it was a hernia.
Old 09-01-17, 10:22 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Am I correct in understanding that the pain is in between your 'junk' and your belly button? If that's the case...I think this is way beyond the ability of any bike fitter to understand, much less fix. These guys are not doctors...they use experience with bicycles to help recreate comfortable positions on the bike for people.
Yes I would say that's a good discription, somewhere in between there. Sometimes feels like it may be my junk, sometime above.

I understand they have limitations and are not doctors. That's why I have already made a doctor appointment
Old 09-01-17, 10:25 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 99Klein
I've had something that sounds similar, but mine is not bothered by cycling...at least I'm comfortable on the bike. Silly question...... Does it hurt to kneel for an extended time? Sex?

My Dr couldn't find anything wrong. It's slowly going away on it's own. Thought for sure it was a hernia.
Kneeling I don't think so. Sex there's a tiny bit of discomfort that isn't normally there, but it isn't painful or anything.
Old 09-01-17, 10:26 AM
hsuehhwa

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
above junk? That's unheard. Definitely not ITBS. Good luck!
Old 09-01-17, 10:28 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kneeling I don't think so. Sex there's a tiny bit of discomfort that isn't normally there, but it isn't painful or anything.
Sounds like it's similar. I really notice it in church...extended kneeling pulls something horrible. If your Dr finds anything, let me know. I had pretty good pain for over a month and it's slowly going away now.... almost to nothing currently.

Good luck!
Old 09-01-17, 10:28 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Yes I would say that's a good discription, somewhere in between there. Sometimes feels like it may be my junk, sometime above.

I understand they have limitations and are not doctors. That's why I have already made a doctor appointment
I'm an officially un-licensed doctor in the state of Illinois. I'm saying it's a urinary tract infection. Or gallstones. Or too many hot wings. Or the steel chastity belt is too small.
Old 09-01-17, 10:45 AM
WT21

Hernia?
Old 09-01-17, 10:52 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Tight psoas muscle?
Old 09-01-17, 11:20 AM
WT21

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Tight psoas muscle?
Didn't even know what that was.

From Google

"A posterior pelvic tilt can cause the lumbar spine to lose its natural, healthy curve and cause pain at the front of the hip joint. With time, restricted glute muscles contribute to psoas lengthening, which can cause your psoas to react defensively and tighten itself to maintain hip stability."
Old 09-01-17, 11:25 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WT21
Hernia?
There doesn't appear to be any sort of buldge and it doesn't hurt to bend or pick anything up.

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Tight psoas muscle?

That seems like it is a lot higher than where any of my pain is.
Old 09-01-17, 12:16 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts

It did start when I got more intense. I was 26-28kph and now more up to 30-31 avg.
I hope you get it sorted out. I think the catalyst for this has to be going from 0 to 2,000 km in a month or so at a fairly high intensity. You need to get a doc to figure out what this is, and then you need to cool down, lay low, and start up again gradually when you feel confident and ready.
Old 09-01-17, 12:16 PM
Phugoid 

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trigger point in the pyramidalis?
Pyramidalis | The Trigger Point & Referred Pain Guide

The typical pain pattern for the psoas looks a little different than you describe:
Iliopsoas | The Trigger Point & Referred Pain Guide

Some others to consider (if you believe in trigger points):
Lower Abdominal Pain | The Trigger Point & Referred Pain Guide
Old 09-01-17, 01:10 PM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
I hope you get it sorted out. I think the catalyst for this has to be going from 0 to 2,000 km in a month or so at a fairly high intensity. You need to get a doc to figure out what this is, and then you need to cool down, lay low, and start up again gradually when you feel confident and ready.
It's so tough for me to lay low because I just got my power meter and upgraded to Ultegra groupset, but I guess I may have no choice. I just hope the doctors appointment isn't a waste of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.