Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Need help with Bianchi Model ID

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 09:11 PM
tp4surf

Bikes: 2007 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Bianchi Axis, 1983 Trek 412, 1996 Parkpre Pro 825

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Need help with Bianchi Model ID

Original owner/seller claims that this is a 2002 "Campione Del Mondo" but the only decal indicating a model is the small CDM decal on the seat tube, not the block or script "CDM" I've seen on the top tube of other Bianchi's. The frame is lugged Columbus Thron Made In Italy with a chrome, uni-crown "Columbus" frork. A mix of Shimano components, with Ultegra 8-sp rear and front (braze-on) derailleurs, 105 crankset 53/39 and 105 brakes. Unsure what model STIs (not working). Rims are Mavic with Shimano 600 hubs. It also has an internally-routed rear brake cable, but I'm not sure if that's indicative of anything. Stem and handlebars appear to be aftermarket. Seller is asking $300 which seems reasonable for a low-mid level Bianchi in the So-Cal market. So, I would appreciate any input on the model and the asking price. The BSA BB opens the door for a wide range of Shimano components, most notably inexpensive and readily available Tiagra or 105 9-speed groupset.
Old 09-25-19, 08:28 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2931 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,494 Posts
I think that Thron frame is closer to early to mid ‘90s. Frame like this were often simple labeled as whatever the tubing was and the group. “Thron Chorus” or “Thron 600”, SBX Athena etc.

I doubt much is original, to frame. $300 doesn’t seem unreasonable fir a rideable Columbus tubed Bianchi. I tune it up, add some DT shifters (probably friction) adjust the fit and ride as is for a while before putting a lot of money into a complete makeover.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 09-25-19 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-25-19, 03:25 PM
tp4surf

Bikes: 2007 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Bianchi Axis, 1983 Trek 412, 1996 Parkpre Pro 825

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks B-Girl...something to consider. DT friction shifters eliminate all the compatibility issues, and combining that with some nice aero brake levers, with era-appropriate stem and bars would be a major step towards obtaining that "clean, vintage steel look" I'm after, while keeping the cost down. May have everything I need in the ol' parts bin...