Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

130mm for a 126mm hub frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

130mm for a 126mm hub frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 01:18 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I don't think anyone knows what you're arguing about anymore.

That said, I will continue to use my frame alignment gauge and dropout alignment tools to assure parallel dropouts whenever I cold-set a frame, and you can attempt to use your metrology tools to do the same. It's a win-win-win!
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-26-24, 01:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Recognizing the major participants, I didn't follow the last three pages. However, I've done a half dozen of these w/o issue. The steel frames got checked with the derailleur hanger tool, a good practice with old frames in general. The aluminum Cannondales just worked w/o additional drama. Obviously any frame could have been whacked at some point but if you start with a straight frame you are unlikely to need more than just pushing the wheel in. Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-24, 03:10 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Recognizing the major participants, I didn't follow the last three pages. However, I've done a half dozen of these w/o issue. The steel frames got checked with the derailleur hanger tool, a good practice with old frames in general. The aluminum Cannondales just worked w/o additional drama. Obviously any frame could have been whacked at some point but if you start with a straight frame you are unlikely to need more than just pushing the wheel in. Hope this helps.
Derailleur hanger tool or dropout alignment tool? Or both?
Old 03-26-24, 04:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Just the derailleur hanger. I've never had an issue with dropout alignment but my sample is small. I had a steel frame with mashed in drive side stays but even that dropout was OK after the stays were corrected. Again, I think odds are good OP can do what he envisions w/o problems.
Old 03-26-24, 05:43 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
As I said in this thread 2 weeks ago, I did this 20 years ago on a bike and it is still like that without problem.
Old 03-26-24, 06:14 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by TC1
A "superlative" mechanic -- and even many who are not -- can puzzle out that two planes which may, or may not, be angled to each other, are also separated by some number of millimeters. That's very much not rocket science, fella.

A superlative mechanic would recognize that the oft-mentioned dropout alignment tool does not provide a measurement of misalignment, it requires the operator to look at it -- with their eyeballs.

Also, you very recently wrote: "What's "close enough"? Just putting the 130 wheel in the unaltered 126 frame." In which case, you are eyeballing whether the wheel sits appropriately. So apparently, your standard is that anything better than the unaltered 126 frame is just fine.

I've asked, at least twice, for people to take credit for the tolerances which they are able to hold using these crude tools -- but no one has been willing to offer such. The whole point here -- to the degree one exists at all -- has been that you and your acolytes claim dropouts can be aligned to within less than 1/4 degree of perfection with crude hand tools. That's a feat which I would think y'all would want to brag about, but no one seems willing.

Oh look, they are also a superlative metallurgist.

Can we just rewind to the part above where you agree with me, and stop wasting further time?
Does one need to be a metallurgist to know that stays are harder to bend than dropouts?

I think you missed that what I agreed with you about was that a stay flexed .25 degrees was going to offset the dropouts the same. Where we differ is your belief that you can bend and reset the stays and only move the dropouts .25 degrees. And what is scary is that you think you can simultaneously bend the stays and dropouts in opposite directions and get the same degree of bend in both. That's like expecting to bend a piece of plastic and stick of gum at the same time and have them come out the same.
Old 03-26-24, 06:24 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by TC1

Amusing to note that, way back up top, when another individual claimed their dropouts became misaligned, your buddy Kontact doubted them:

But when I make the same observation, I am attacked.
I'm afraid you misread that. I was asking if the dropouts failed to align without cold setting under the force of the QR. On most steel frames a properly tightened QR will force the dropouts into temporary alignment, as Shimano intended with 7402 DA 8 speed.
Old 03-26-24, 08:10 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Why is my head still hurting?
Old 03-26-24, 11:25 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by rccardr
Why is my head still hurting?
Go read a comic book instead.
Old 03-27-24, 06:40 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
Okay, let's sum it up then.

What "strawmen" exactly?

And what do you claim this missed point is?
I can't be bothered, I'm not interested in prolonging this discussion. I'm sure you're much more intelligent and correct than everyone else. Well done.
Old 03-27-24, 07:54 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Ok guys. Enough of the bickering. Anything else to add to the discussion?
Old 03-27-24, 08:10 AM
chuckybb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Works!

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Ok guys. Enough of the bickering. Anything else to add to the discussion?
Yup! I crammed the 130 OLD on to the slightly narrower dropouts, and it works just fine
Likes For chuckybb: