Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Mens Giant Cypress ST for a woman

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 06:59 PM
Bakammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been in the market for a comfort bike for my wife. She is luke warm on the idea, I'm hoping once she gets out with me and the youngster she'll get bit by the bug as I was. I found a bike that fit the bill on ebay and won with a low bid. Interesting enough after winning I went to read up a bit more and realized that the photo did not match the description. The photo, the best that I can tell is a small mens 2009 Cypress ST not the 2007 women's Cypress ST in the description.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/170874049788...84.m1497.l2649

The seller seems legit, he's certain its a 2007 womens bike.....I don't see it. I won the auction and am curious what I'm going to see arrive at the front door.

So my question is for those who have had experience with women riding mens bikes, are the geometry differencess on the Giant Cypress ST mens vs womens a deal breaker here? I'm willing to take on some risk as it's not alot of dough and I could use the freebie car seat included.
Old 07-12-12, 08:21 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome To Bike Forums, Bakammer!

Most knowledgeable women are aware of the fact that the diamond shape used in the construction of male bikes, is actually a stronger design than that of most step-thru female models. Perhaps that the reason so many women prefer to cycle on male oriented bicycles.

Besides, I think women on male bicycles look sexy. Especially, when they are pretty anyway!
Old 07-12-12, 10:11 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bakammer
I've been in the market for a comfort bike for my wife. She is luke warm on the idea, I'm hoping once she gets out with me and the youngster she'll get bit by the bug as I was. I found a bike that fit the bill on ebay and won with a low bid. Interesting enough after winning I went to read up a bit more and realized that the photo did not match the description. The photo, the best that I can tell is a small mens 2009 Cypress ST not the 2007 women's Cypress ST in the description.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/170874049788...84.m1497.l2649

The seller seems legit, he's certain its a 2007 womens bike.....I don't see it. I won the auction and am curious what I'm going to see arrive at the front door.

So my question is for those who have had experience with women riding mens bikes, are the geometry differencess on the Giant Cypress ST mens vs womens a deal breaker here? I'm willing to take on some risk as it's not alot of dough and I could use the freebie car seat included.
You bought her a bike that she hasn't even had a chance to try out yet? And she's already not too keen on the idea of riding a bike in the first place? Big mistake.
Old 07-13-12, 05:28 AM
HillRiderEast

Bikes: Trek fx 7.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
You bought her a bike that she hasn't even had a chance to try out yet? And she's already not too keen on the idea of riding a bike in the first place? Big mistake.
I have the Giant Cypress womens bike - mine has a more pronounced step thu. The angle on the bike you purchased should be fine for your wife though - for the price, even with shipping a good deal. If she does not like it, you will definitely be able to sell it locally especially with the child seat.
The bike goes for $400 new
Old 07-13-12, 06:13 AM
Bakammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Quite possibly a mistake. I looked at going the proper route, getting a bike properly fit at the LBS. However, she is a novice rider, and no telling if she's going to take to it. A comfy, easy to ride bike seems to fit the bill. If she takes to it, we'll have a better idea of what she likes and doesn't like about that type of bike for future upgrades. If not, it sits in the garage or gets donated to a local charity, not a big deal.
Old 07-13-12, 08:57 AM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Cypress WSD (as does a friend, although hers is a year newer than mine), and that's definitely not the same frame. And as you can see from my .sig line, the '07 of the Ebay deal isn't the same color as my "Radagast the Beige-and-Black," which has a mostly metallic-beige fading to black finish.
Old 07-13-12, 09:02 AM
PJCB

Bikes: 198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer men's bikes over women's. I've had to cut down a few handlebars, swap some stems and adjust some other things, but as long as you can fit it to narrower shoulders, shorter arms and legs, and wider hips you should be good. Women's bikes (generally, not exclusively) are marketing tools and nothing more.
Old 07-13-12, 09:13 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bakammer
Quite possibly a mistake. I looked at going the proper route, getting a bike properly fit at the LBS. However, she is a novice rider, and no telling if she's going to take to it. A comfy, easy to ride bike seems to fit the bill. If she takes to it, we'll have a better idea of what she likes and doesn't like about that type of bike for future upgrades. If not, it sits in the garage or gets donated to a local charity, not a big deal.
Look at it this way! You could have spent that bicycle money on a stripper, alcohol, drugs, or gambling...
But did you do that? ...No! You were thinking about your wife and your family. Something that a growing number of men with families don't do anymore!

I tip my hat to you, Sir!