Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island Cycling Clubs

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 08:32 AM
Bakammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in Western Suffolk, South Shore. I'm 43, a new cyclist riding a Trek 7.2 FX. I ride daily mostly pulling a kids trailer. I'm looking to push myself as the 25-35 miles a week I'm doing now are getting too easy.

Can anyone reccomend a club that has rides and events centered around the Babylon area and that is welcoming of new cyclists?
Old 07-29-12, 02:15 PM
Lightingguy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd state that all the clubs welcome new members. As well, they all allow non-members to ride whenever you want.

The parent organization is the Paumononck Group to which all the following LI clubs belong. There site is here:

https://www.bicyclelongisland.org/index.htm

In a nutshell,

- Long Island Bicycle Club. Road group with occasional mt. bike rides in the winter. Rides out of Westbury High School on Sat/Sun.

- Massapequa Park Bike Club. Road group with occasional mt. bike rides. Leaves from Massapequa Park LIRR station Sat mornings and Bethpage Library lot on Sundays, as well as Tues and Thurs morning rides (see calender)

- Huntington Bicycle Club. Mostly road group, leaves from Greenlawn

- Suffolk Bike Riders Association. Road group, leaves from assorted places.

- CLIMB - Concerned Long Island Mountain Bikers. Mt bike group. Not as many group rides, mostly the trail advocacy and trail building and maintaining group. Does occasional larger group rides, picnics at the 11 or so parks that have maintained mt. bike trails systems.

- German Sport Bicycle Club. Road racing group, leaves out of Bethpage.

As well there are other racing teams as sponsored by assorted local bike shops that do group rides, including the Brands Ride (road) that leaves from brands Cycles in Wantagh. Generally a very fast paced semi-racing group.

Pretty much all the groups (except the racing teams) have beginner group levels, typically a C ride. At this time of year they may well be doing +30 mile rides, at a pace slower then the AA rides that go 50+ miles at 19-22+ mph avg. The website tells you what the rides avg. These are all road rides as well, with most folks riding dedicated road bikes, plus the occasional hybrid thrown in.

Nothing, as far as I know leaves from Babylon. Pretty much all the (Nassau and western Suffolk) rides will head north towards the north shore, from western Nassau right thru Suffolk, mostly to ride better roads with less traffic then is typically found on the south shore. The SBRA obviously leaves from all over central and eastern Suffolk and rides all over the central and east end, mostly as they can - the roads have less traffic.

Steve B.
Old 07-29-12, 07:02 PM
Bakammer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightingguy
I'd state that all the clubs welcome new members. As well, they all allow non-members to ride whenever you want.

The parent organization is the Paumononck Group to which all the following LI clubs belong. There site is here:

https://www.bicyclelongisland.org/index.htm

In a nutshell,

- Long Island Bicycle Club. Road group with occasional mt. bike rides in the winter. Rides out of Westbury High School on Sat/Sun.

- Massapequa Park Bike Club. Road group with occasional mt. bike rides. Leaves from Massapequa Park LIRR station Sat mornings and Bethpage Library lot on Sundays, as well as Tues and Thurs morning rides (see calender)

- Huntington Bicycle Club. Mostly road group, leaves from Greenlawn

- Suffolk Bike Riders Association. Road group, leaves from assorted places.

- CLIMB - Concerned Long Island Mountain Bikers. Mt bike group. Not as many group rides, mostly the trail advocacy and trail building and maintaining group. Does occasional larger group rides, picnics at the 11 or so parks that have maintained mt. bike trails systems.

- German Sport Bicycle Club. Road racing group, leaves out of Bethpage.

As well there are other racing teams as sponsored by assorted local bike shops that do group rides, including the Brands Ride (road) that leaves from brands Cycles in Wantagh. Generally a very fast paced semi-racing group.

Pretty much all the groups (except the racing teams) have beginner group levels, typically a C ride. At this time of year they may well be doing +30 mile rides, at a pace slower then the AA rides that go 50+ miles at 19-22+ mph avg. The website tells you what the rides avg. These are all road rides as well, with most folks riding dedicated road bikes, plus the occasional hybrid thrown in.

Nothing, as far as I know leaves from Babylon. Pretty much all the (Nassau and western Suffolk) rides will head north towards the north shore, from western Nassau right thru Suffolk, mostly to ride better roads with less traffic then is typically found on the south shore. The SBRA obviously leaves from all over central and eastern Suffolk and rides all over the central and east end, mostly as they can - the roads have less traffic.

Steve B.
Thankks for the lengthy and informative response!
Old 07-30-12, 08:55 AM
Eureka
Not so Senior Member

Bikes: Simoncini SS, Trek Al/CA, Jamis HT, Cannondale Rush 5Z

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle Planet has rides going out from their store in eastern Nassau close to the LIE. Sunday mornings, maybe three groups, at differing speeds and distance, methinks.
Old 08-21-12, 11:39 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
https://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...veBicycleClub/

Don't forget, the Glen Cove Bicycle Club. But there are no events really, except for Roadside Vegetation Management (pulling weeds, trimming branches). Anyone can join this Yahoo Group.