Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do clip pedals make riding harder or easier?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do clip pedals make riding harder or easier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23, 09:01 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
always depends.
Old 05-17-23, 09:54 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
There are several studies that the overall efficiency of clipless vs flat pedals is very similar for most ordinary riding. Also that people don't pull up very much.

However, the clipless may aid with max power output.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
From what I have read, seen, heard, and experienced- very few pull on the upstroke. When one foot is going up, the other is going down and the downward motion is exponentially stronger.
Just let your foot go along for the ride with the pedal after it reaches 6oclock because the other leg will be pushing down.

For me, clips are nice because they place my foot over the spindle in the same way each time, and that is the spot I found is the most comfortable for distance and power. Clips are also nice for climbing, especially standing and climbing, and I stand to climb way more than I should.

If I were riding 5mi of flat road, I dont think it would matter much if I had platform pedals(flat pedal), or SPD pedals, or SPD-SL pedals(or any of the other road type pedals)
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
All of these. I have double-sided flat/SPD pedals. For a long ride, I like being physically attached to the pedal in the same positions. For quicker rides (i.e. a few miles), it really doesn't matter to me.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-17-23, 11:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
If you are just riding a 5 mile loop, stay with flats. You dont need the extra expense of clipless pedals and shoes.

I have been riding clipless for decades and there is zero extra work associated with clipless. They don’t force you to pull up or double your work or any of what you have heard. They do make you more efficient, which means you get more power from the same effort as flats, but for 5 miles it’s not worth it.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-18-23, 02:13 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
If you are just riding a 5 mile loop, stay with flats. You dont need the extra expense of clipless pedals and shoes.

I have been riding clipless for decades and there is zero extra work associated with clipless. They don’t force you to pull up or double your work or any of what you have heard. They do make you more efficient, which means you get more power from the same effort as flats, but for 5 miles it’s not worth it.
This^

The original premise was just wrong.
Old 05-18-23, 02:51 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
MTB style platform pedals are perfectly fine for longer distances. Freedom to wear whatever shoes I want is more important to me than gaining a little bit of extra efficiency from clipless pedals.
Old 05-18-23, 02:58 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Deore XT SPD 780-T on the mountain bikes, look pp247, look pp356 and look pp286 on the road bikes for optimum pedaling efficiency on long distances.
Old 05-18-23, 04:04 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Nothing is easier than just walking up to a bicycle with your everyday clothes and shoes and jumping on it and riding. Cycling-specific clothing and shoes can be fun, but if anyone thinks they are necessary for anyone but a pro then they have been badly misled.
Old 05-18-23, 06:33 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Nothing is easier than just walking up to a bicycle with your everyday clothes and shoes and jumping on it and riding. Cycling-specific clothing and shoes can be fun, but if anyone thinks they are necessary for anyone but a pro then they have been badly misled.
especially if it's not your bicycle?
Old 05-18-23, 07:34 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
always depends.
I am not that old yet....do they make them biker specific.....
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-18-23, 08:36 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts

I feel so duped! Looks like back to cut-offs, sneakers and t-shirts for my 60 mile rides. Man, I feel like such an idiot wasting all that money. Better throw away my clipless pedals and shoes too because I bet only pros need those too. I’ve been scammed by big bike!!! Thanks Beng for your clarity of reason and unyielding dedication to your truth. You are making the world a better and more affordable place.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-18-23, 08:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Cycling-specific clothing and shoes can be fun, but if anyone thinks they are necessary for anyone but a pro then they have been badly misled.
Implicit in this statement is that only pros are worthy of high quality, which is rubbish.

No clothing is strictly "necessary" to ride a bike, but riding naked is less than ideal.

If anyone tells you that since you're not a pro, that won't benefit from some high end kit, they are telling you a fib.

Cycling kit options lie on a spectrum, from naked to high end, with practical improvements at each level.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-18-23 at 09:03 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-18-23, 09:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Easier

Clipless for me on all of my bikes. Easier? Yes. More efficient? Yes. More secure foot position? Yes.

Downsides? None for me. But:
- special shoes
- cost of pedals
- another maintenance item and point of failure

My wife doesn't use any form of retention. This works for her. So...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-18-23, 10:19 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Please understand that I’m not discounting what works for you, nor am I saying that you should make a change.

Although I wasn’t the one who said it before, I also couldn’t imagine riding long distance, for multiple days, without clipless pedals. Mostly because that is what I have been comfortable and familiar with for a long time, and I’ve put some effort into making sure my shoes are comfortable for me for long hours, and have the high performance I want for efficiency. I recently did a 6-hour gravel event. When I finished, one of the few parts of my body that didn’t hurt were my feet, despite being in very rigid, carbon fiber soled shoes, and some sections of walking the bike on the course. This is what works for me. There is nothing ridiculous about it.
Once again, you are racing, a six hour gravel event. Sure use them. Sorry, but long ago, we didn't have clipless, though they were invented a very long time ago, they weren't widely used when I started riding. No one died, no one had horrible injuries from riding long distances. A large platform pedal supports the foot well, and one can ride as far as they like with no issues with their feet. With clipless on the other hand, you need to rely on special shoes and very stiff soles, which simply replaces the platform for supporting the foot. You also have to get them set up right, for you, to prevent issues. If for some reason you have an issue, you cannot move your foot around on the pedal, because you are locked in. With a platform, you can move if you would like.

Wear clipless. I think they are great. I am once again discounting the ridiculous implication that riding long distance is something that one cannot do effectively with platform pedals. I just always laugh inside when roadies talk about long distance, something they rarely do compared to a bicycle tourist, and then they come away with strong opinions of what is needed for long distance riding. A bike tourist will do long distance every day, and believe me, if they were riding platform pedals and had pain, they wouldn't be able to ride again the next day.

Once again, don't get me wrong, ride clipless, they are a great thing for those who like them, and especially for those who are competing, but a large platform pedal will support your foot very well, preventing issues, and if properly equipped, will prevent the foot from slipping. They also allow for the use of any shoe. For commuting in traffic, I much prefer a platform pedal. Ride what you want, but long distance is very pleasant on platforms.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-18-23, 10:20 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
It is not required to be a paid professional to recognize and appreciate the advantages of clothing and equipment designed specifically for the activity you're participating in. Riding the way I ride, in my everyday street clothes, would quickly become uncomfortable and unenjoyable. Hopping on my bike for a 5-10 minute cruise to the local store (for example) is not part of my cycling activities.
Old 05-18-23, 10:31 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Just my anecdotal observation: I occasionally see riders on platform pedals with obvious biomechanical issues.
Their pedal stroke is awkward and their knees and legs stick-out. My first thought is raise your saddle, but I think it is also lack of focus when pedaling and since there is no pedal/cleat interface, their pedaling is wonky.
Old 05-18-23, 10:39 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by phughes
Once again, you are racing, a six hour gravel event...
Racing? Nope. I don't do that to myself any more - LOL. My goal was just to finish. That said, I put a lot of effort into making my bike and my gear as efficient and comfortable as I can for the effort and terrain, based on my preferences. I think the only bike I've owned that had flat pedals was my childhood BMX bike in the '70s. I rode with clips and straps until clipless. I've been on rigid shoes and clipless pedals since the early '90s.

I am once again discounting the ridiculous implication that riding long distance is something that one cannot do effectively with platform pedals.
Did anyone actually say that? If I recall, the poster indicated that they couldn't see themselves riding long distance without clipless pedals. A personal preference, not a mandate for others. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I appreciate your perspective. Riding long distances in Crocs is not something I ever would have guessed is a preference for people, but I understand and respect your viewpoint, even though it's not a choice I would be likely to make for myself.
Old 05-18-23, 10:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Once again, you are racing, a six hour gravel event. Sure use them. Sorry, but long ago, we didn't have clipless, though they were invented a very long time ago, they weren't widely used when I started riding. No one died, no one had horrible injuries from riding long distances. A large platform pedal supports the foot well, and one can ride as far as they like with no issues with their feet.
False dichotomy. Before clipless became the norm, cyclists were using toe clips and straps which accomplished the same end result.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-18-23, 10:59 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Nothing is easier than just lying down on the ground and going to sleep. Modern coil spring and foam mattresses can be fun, but if anyone thinks they are necessary for anyone but a pro sleeper, they have been badly misled.

Nothing is easier than just throwing out the perishable food you aren't going to eat right away. Refrigerators can be fun, but if anyone thinks they are necessary for anyone but a pro eater...

Nothing is easier than cutting materials with a sharp rock. Scissors can be fun, but...

Last edited by Broctoon; 05-18-23 at 11:13 AM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 05-18-23, 11:32 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Racing? Nope. I don't do that to myself any more - LOL. My goal was just to finish. That said, I put a lot of effort into making my bike and my gear as efficient and comfortable as I can for the effort and terrain, based on my preferences. I think the only bike I've owned that had flat pedals was my childhood BMX bike in the '70s. I rode with clips and straps until clipless. I've been on rigid shoes and clipless pedals since the early '90s.

Did anyone actually say that? If I recall, the poster indicated that they couldn't see themselves riding long distance without clipless pedals. A personal preference, not a mandate for others. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I appreciate your perspective. Riding long distances in Crocs is not something I ever would have guessed is a preference for people, but I understand and respect your viewpoint, even though it's not a choice I would be likely to make for myself.
nope you are remembering it correctly. see post 15. post 15 has not been edited exactly how it first appeared. Never said anything about others just myself. for the record I have ridden 40+ mile rides on flats and was not for me. as was posted I can't see myself doing long rides on flats. for me a long ride is 60-100 miles. others would consider this a short ride for sure but I was referring to myself.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-18-23, 11:40 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
nope you are remembering it correctly. see post 15. post 15 has not been edited exactly how it first appeared. Never said anything about others just myself. for the record I have ridden 40+ mile rides on flats and was not for me. as was posted I can't see myself doing long rides on flats. for me a long ride is 60-100 miles. others would consider this a short ride for sure but I was referring to myself.
That's how I remembered your post as well; I just checked again because I was looking through the thread to find support for the assertion that someone, or anyone, has said or clearly implied that "riding long distance is something that one cannot do effectively with platform pedals."

Lots of people who have said or implied that they have a personal preference for clipless for most or all of their riding -- a preference this Fred shares -- but that strong claim? Nope.
Likes For badger1:
Old 05-18-23, 11:57 AM
phughes

Please read the word, "implication." I don't always ride in Crocs, but the point is, most any shoe will work with a good platform pedal. And again, I think clipless are great, but they are certainly not necessary for riding distance.
Old 05-18-23, 12:02 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Koyote
False dichotomy. Before clipless became the norm, cyclists were using toe clips and straps which accomplished the same end result.
Ridiculous response. Not a false dichotomy. Yes, some were using toe clips, but so many were not, just as today not everyone rides clipless.. Also, not once have I discounted clipless as not being good, instead I have simply refuted the ridiculous implication that they are needed for riding long distance. Those who did not use toe clips did not suffer horrific issues by using platform pedals. Todays platforms are even better, providing even better, more comfortable support for the foot.

Ride clipless, they are a great system, but they are not necessary for many riders, and a good platform pedal will allow you to ride long distances without any issues. That is the point.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-18-23, 12:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood

Yes, clip pedals are more efficient, but I am wondering which is the better workout…..
  1. Clip pedals which allow more work, but reduce total riding time for a given distance
  2. Flat pedals, which allow for half work, and therefore a longer ride, for a given distance.

Basically, it seems to come down to sprint a mile in X mins, or jog a mile in Y mins.
Better workout is the question? Then it's clipless and it doesn't matter how hard or easy your ride is, clipless is still better. Why? Because clipless pedals (and toe clips and straps) encourage you to use more of the muscles in your legs, simple as that. With foot retention you can push forward at the top and pull back at the bottom and maybe 30° on the way up. On the backstroke, as soon as the knee joint gets close to maximum bend, the hamstrings stop working and you just let the downstroke leg finish the job of getting the backstroke pedal close to the top. Clipless actually don't make you go faster, just more comfortably for longer. It's the same ride, it's just more fun with clipless - and safer, because your feet can't slip off the pedal and allow your lower legs to get hammered by a spinning pedal.

Yeah, some people forget they're clipped in and fall over at a stop. That's not all that uncommon while getting used to them. It's good to keep the tension adjustment really light to start with, so you can rip your foot out of the pedal if you have to. So far I don't know of anyone who quit using clipless because of this issue. Riders usually become converts in the first few minutes of pedaling with clipless, it's that obvious.

For most folks, SPD pedals with mountain bike shoes work best because the cleats are recessed and thus it's easy to walk in your bike shoes. Not that they're comfortable for long distances, but fine to get something to eat or walk around in a store. If you do a lot of walking when you ride, flats are probably better, but most people separate out walking and riding.
Old 05-18-23, 12:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Please read the word, "implication." I don't always ride in Crocs, but the point is, most any shoe will work with a good platform pedal. And again, I think clipless are great, but they are certainly not necessary for riding distance.
It doesn't seem to me that anyone implied that clipless pedals were necessary for everyone riding long distances. Obviously, you have found it not to be true, and sharing your contrary experience is valuable to the discussion. I suspect there are folks on both sides of this particular fence.

There are lots of different ways to ride a bike, and lots of different bikes to to ride. People who ride a lot tend to find what works best for themselves, with the way they prefer to ride, and it may be different than what another person has found. No one is wrong. Well...except those guys who insist that their way is the only way, and everyone else is a moron.
Old 05-18-23, 12:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yeah, some people forget they're clipped in and fall over at a stop. That's not all that uncommon while getting used to them. It's good to keep the tension adjustment really light to start with, so you can rip your foot out of the pedal if you have to. So far I don't know of anyone who quit using clipless because of this issue.
I do. A moderately-regular BF member struggled to adapt to clipless, and gave up in frustration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.