Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

CT Riders: Help With Alternate Rt. from Gold Star Bridge (New London) to Mystic?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

CT Riders: Help With Alternate Rt. from Gold Star Bridge (New London) to Mystic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-12, 08:37 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

Chances are, I'm going to head to Mystic, CT via the Orient/New London Ferry this weekend (July 15-16). I've done this trip many times before, but I'd like to switch it up a bit, maybe add a few miles, and eliminate some climbs so soon after dragging my atrophied bones off the ferry.

Typically, I make a left at the end of the bridge path onto Bridge Street and take that all the way to Rt. 1, which is kind of hectic in Groton. I was thinking, maybe, of making a RIGHT this time onto Bridge and taking that to Thames, which runs along the water (I'm into water on my bike trips). Then I would take Thames south to Poquonnock, bear left at the fork with Rt. 649 to head back north, and connect with Rt. 1 a little further down into Groton.

I've seen the roads on Google Maps' satellite view and they look pretty quaint, with a low traffic volume. Does anybody have any input? Is the avoidance of much of the Groton commercial district worth the extra miles?
Old 07-25-12, 11:50 AM
Bakammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your question is a few weeks old but I'll weigh in. Thames Street would be more scenic but I wouldn't excatly call it quaint. You will be riding past Electric Boat and Pfizer, 2 big employers so traffic can get a bit gnatty at times. Good view of the river though, you'll see subs and other boats out and about the length of the ride.

Rt. 1 is nothing memorable, but it's a straight shot and a quicker route. If I remember correctly Rt. 1 is also called Long Hill Rd in town, and I believe a good piece is downhill untill you get through town, then it's uphill quite a bit until you get to Mystic.
Old 07-25-12, 03:37 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Instead of my usual route OR the one I described above, I tried a ten-year-old suggestion and used River Road/Toll Gate Road/Buddington/Rt.1/Poqquonick Bridge Boardwalk/Rt.1 and I will never go any other way again. So sorry I wasted all those rides using Rt. 1 all the way.