Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giant Roam / Specialized Crosstrail / or GT Transeo

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-16, 09:26 AM
CF7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

New to the forums and looking for the opinions of those more experienced than I. I'm looking to get started with cycling primarily as a way to get into the routine of a physical activity as I sit at a desk most of the work week.

After visiting a few local bike stores, I've narrowed my selection to the following

Giant Roam 1 / Giant Roam 2
Specialized Crosstrail Sport / Specialized Crosstrail Disc
GT Transeo 2.0

I'm aware some will say these bikes are a compromise as they are not a dedicated road bike or a dedicated MTB. However, at this point that is exactly what I'm looking for. I want something fun that offers some flexibility. I can always save and go in the direction or a road bike or MTB if I find myself wanting to do so.

My questions at this point are around the components of the bikes listed above. Will the components on the Roam 2, Crosstrail Disc, or Transeo 2.0 wear quickly? Are the components on the Roam 1 or Crosstrail Sport significantly better in terms of performance and resistance to wear?

Thanks to all in advance!
Old 11-29-16, 09:41 AM
Roamer2

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2; 1952 Schwinn Green Hornet

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Roam 2 & the GT both have hydraulic discs...I think you have to step up to the Crosstrail Sport Disc to get those. For me, that was the sweet spot in price/component level.

They are not vastly different bikes, tho. How they individually fit YOU and which LBS you think will give better service should be major factors in your decision.

I went with the Roam 2 because I needed a larger frame and it just fit my build/comfort better than the Specialized. And the shop thru in serveral extras like bottle/cage, kickstand, etc for an out the door price that was I couldn't pass up. Zero regrets with my choice.
Old 11-29-16, 11:40 AM
CF7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roamer2
The Roam 2 & the GT both have hydraulic discs...I think you have to step up to the Crosstrail Sport Disc to get those. For me, that was the sweet spot in price/component level.

They are not vastly different bikes, tho. How they individually fit YOU and which LBS you think will give better service should be major factors in your decision.

I went with the Roam 2 because I needed a larger frame and it just fit my build/comfort better than the Specialized. And the shop thru in serveral extras like bottle/cage, kickstand, etc for an out the door price that was I couldn't pass up. Zero regrets with my choice.
Thanks for the information. I really like the Transeo 2.0 and Roam 2. I definitely want the hydraulic brakes as well. I'm a big guy and appreciate the extra stopping power. My main concern with the Roam 2.and Transeo 2.0 are the shifters and derailleurs. It seems anything below Shimano Deore line gets a lot of negative opinions.

Can I ask around how many miles you have on your bike? Have you noticed and degradation in performance of the shifterace and derailleurs?
Old 11-30-16, 08:08 AM
Roamer2

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2; 1952 Schwinn Green Hornet

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About 2000...no difference. And I beat mine up pretty good. There was a slightly needed free adjustment after the first few hundred, but that's common to all new bikes.

These are not top end bikes & there isn't a whole lot of practical difference in component level here. Certainly not such that you would notice as a novice cyclist.

Pick the one that fits you best for comfort/style & make you want to ride.
Old 11-30-16, 11:26 AM
CF7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 2000...no difference. And I beat mine up pretty good. There was a slightly needed free adjustment after the first few hundred, but that's common to all new bikes.

These are not top end bikes & there isn't a whole lot of practical difference in component level here. Certainly not such that you would notice as a novice cyclist.

Good to hear. Thanks for the information
Old 11-30-16, 02:58 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

Just curious, but which color scheme did you choose on your Roam 2?
Old 11-30-16, 10:38 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Roam 1, fantastic bike, I love mine. I had compared Trek DS, Specialized Crosstrail, Scott and Norco. I found that at the same price point, Giant had better components (or conversely, at the same component level, Giant was lower cost). Otherwise, the bikes are pretty similar, and as noted, some slight differences in geometry from one brand to another might fit you marginally better (although most can be adjusted enough if the fit is only off by that small margin to start with).

In terms of component level, I went Roam 1 as a minimum (almost chose a Roam 0) because of the Deore components across the board in the drive train. Personally I consider Deore and better to be "life-time" grade for bikes that get between 1000-1500 km per year. I have a 2002 Giant Sedona LX with its original Deore drivetrain and over 7500 km, and it still shifts like the day it was new, and all I've ever done to the derailleurs and shifters is wash and lube them.

I believe the Acera/Altus component mix in the drivetrain on the Roam 2 is a good starting point, but I would suspect that after several years (depending on usage), they will wear to the point that slow shifting and skips will cause you to want to replace them. I don't think that doing that 5 years down the road on an otherwise great bike will be as cost effective as buying the better components on the bike from the get-go for the marginal cost increase.

As has been said several times on this forum - buy the best bike you can afford. Very few people have ever said they were unhappy that they bought a more expensive, better equipped bike. But *many* complain that they wish they had bought the next better model shortly or some time afterwards. If you think you are going to use the bike regularly, then an extra $150 0r $200 stretch to your budget now will be worth it over the years for sure.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers
TRJB

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 11-30-16 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-01-16, 11:32 AM
CF7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow
I have a Roam 1, fantastic bike, I love mine. I had compared Trek DS, Specialized Crosstrail, Scott and Norco. I found that at the same price point, Giant had better components (or conversely, at the same component level, Giant was lower cost). Otherwise, the bikes are pretty similar, and as noted, some slight differences in geometry from one brand to another might fit you marginally better (although most can be adjusted enough if the fit is only off by that small margin to start with).

In terms of component level, I went Roam 1 as a minimum (almost chose a Roam 0) because of the Deore components across the board in the drive train. Personally I consider Deore and better to be "life-time" grade for bikes that get between 1000-1500 km per year. I have a 2002 Giant Sedona LX with its original Deore drivetrain and over 7500 km, and it still shifts like the day it was new, and all I've ever done to the derailleurs and shifters is wash and lube them.

I believe the Acera/Altus component mix in the drivetrain on the Roam 2 is a good starting point, but I would suspect that after several years (depending on usage), they will wear to the point that slow shifting and skips will cause you to want to replace them. I don't think that doing that 5 years down the road on an otherwise great bike will be as cost effective as buying the better components on the bike from the get-go for the marginal cost increase.

As has been said several times on this forum - buy the best bike you can afford. Very few people have ever said they were unhappy that they bought a more expensive, better equipped bike. But *many* complain that they wish they had bought the next better model shortly or some time afterwards. If you think you are going to use the bike regularly, then an extra $150 0r $200 stretch to your budget now will be worth it over the years for sure.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers
TRJB

Well said and I completely agree with your logic. The only variable I couldn't personally account for is the upgrade from Acera/Alivio to Deore. I am leaning towards the Roam 1 because of the included Deore components, however I didn't want to make the mistake of spending a few hundred more for components that are marketed as better but don't really offer any upgrade in performance or longevity. It sounds like Deore components are an upgrade, making the cost up front worth it.

Thanks for your input
Old 12-25-16, 11:51 PM
Saitama

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had the Transeo 2.0 for 2 months now. I've made some mods and stuff.

Mods: Ritchie 120mm 80 degree adjustable stem (for comfort), handlebar grips, Rido R2 saddle (wide hip bones), Panacer Tserv 700x28 tyres now changed to Continenetal Gatorskin 700x28, Wellgo removable pedals.

Impressions:

- wasn't set up well by the LBS, had to go to another one to get it all sorted out. on 2nd front cog, back cassette used to jump x2 gears from 1 to 3, or 2 to 4. LBS failed to fixc it, I sorted it out by turning that back screw at back of cassette as far as it would go. Gear shifting is rough sometimes- sounds like it crashes from gear to gear sometimes and my right foot even comes off the pedal from time to time from the chain slamming into position.

- brakes work great. Tons of stopping power. Hydraulics really are superior to most V/cantilever brakes (although shimano 105 and up levels seems pretty good too)

- the remote lock out switch for the front suspension is very cool. One time I was on this paved very steep hill which was completely corrugated (grip for car tyres when road wet) and being able to easily flick it on and off was great! Suspension made a good difference too)

Overall I'm fine with this bike. It fit my budget and it's comfortable for me. But I agree with people above- buy as much as you can. My previous bike had all Deore components and it ran perfectly. Very smooth, no clashes, crashes and anything. Sold it because rigid fork too harsh too much vibration and hated the colour scheme.