Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Purchasing a bike

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Purchasing a bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 01:44 PM
Theads13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchasing a bike

Hi!
I'm new to the bicycle world and would like some advice on purchasing my first bike. I live in North Carolina and pretty soon it will be warm enough for me to commute to work with a bike (about 4 miles each way). I'd like to purchase a hybrid (I think) since I want to use the bike on the road as well as go on trails and occasionally mountains. I'm a 5'4" male and I'd like to spend under $300. I also don't mind finding a used bike. So I'd like some suggestions for brands or specific bikes to look at.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 03-16-17, 02:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I'm liking this one. it's even got schrader valves, bonus :-)

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/6044409645.html

this one is a little smaller

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/5992210978.html

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-16-17 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-16-17, 04:40 PM
Theads13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!
I'm going to inquire about the trek. The one in charlotte is too far away since I'm in Raleigh. For some reason when I did my Craigslist search, that trek one didn't come up.
Old 03-16-17, 06:36 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Theads13
when I did my Craigslist search, that trek one didn't come up
I searched "trek fx" cuz we like them. all 4 of us have one. all different models (#s)

you can also search just trek or just fx. but started with exactly what I wanted to see if I could get lucky. other major brands have equally good bikes that look just like it. trick is getting your size correct. refer to manufacturer's websites for guidance. I'm just about 6 ft & ride a 22", but could have fit a 20"
Old 03-16-17, 07:21 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
RJ the Bike Guy recently did a video with tips on searching for Craigslist.

I never realized it before, but Craigslist doesn't seem to always show all ads, for some reason. After using some of his tricks, a ton more bikes show up for me than simply just clicking on the "Bikes" section. I think it's worth the 20 minutes it takes to watch it -- I learned a lot about how to focus a search on Craigslist.

Keep looking and be patient. One of RJ's tips is look every day. Every hour even -- get your searches set up and hit them as many times as you think is reasonable during the day. I bought my 2015 Trek Verve 3 on Craigslist last year for a third of what it cost new. The bike was one model year old and the older gent's story of having ridden it only a few times certainly correlated with the condition of the bike -- it was spotless. I think I got lucky with mine -- I found it a few days after it had been posted, but I wasn't all that determined at the time and a week or two would go by between searches. I just happened to find this one right after it was posted.

I also snagged a 2012 model Specialized Hotrock 24" for my 8 year old daughter on Craigslist for $35. It was in good condition -- the rear derailleur needed work and it just needed a clean-up. It's cleaned up, tuned up, rides like a dream, and I have less than $100 cash into it. This was a $370 bike when it was new, and new Hotrocks still sell for that today. I found this one the day he posted it, because I was on CL every day using RJ's tips.
Old 03-17-17, 06:46 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
RJ the Bike Guy recently did a video with tips on searching for Craigslist
whoa! gonna have to spend some time with this!
Old 03-17-17, 11:42 AM
ksywa

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Zurich, 2015 Troll, 2016 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
North Carolina ? Check the Oak City Cycling Project @
Oak City Cycling | Oak City Cycling is a local, independent cycling shop in Downtown Raleigh, NC focused on increasing bicycle ridership through sales, service, outreach, and community.

Great guys, great selection of bikes, very knowledgeable and helpful.

That is what a LBS should look like..

(not related, but I bought two bikes form them.... and drove from WV to Raleigh to pick them up).

/ksywa
Old 03-17-17, 12:35 PM
Roamer2

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2; 1952 Schwinn Green Hornet

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All good suggestions!

As a fellow Raleigh rider, be sure to check out our extensive Greenway trail system...it goes all over, mostly beside the local creeks & rivers. (you can set the Google maps app on your phone to highlight the trails & bike-friendly roads by selecting "bicycle" in the drop down menu) From my North Hills location, I can do a 60+ mile ride and hardly have to cross an actual street.

There are also several low-key riders groups on MeetUp that are a bit less spandexy than the typical road guys.

Enjoy!
Old 03-18-17, 10:17 AM
Theads13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a 2016 trek bontrager from the link runrunn6 posted. Seems to be in 'like new' condition. I'm happy with it! Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-18-17, 12:27 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Theads13
I bought a 2016 trek bontrager from the link runrunn6 posted. Seems to be in 'like new' condition. I'm happy with it! Thanks for all the help!
Congrats on the new bike. Post a pic or two when you get a chance.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.