Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Gitane Tour de France - what's the value?? ... $400 ...?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Gitane Tour de France - what's the value?? ... $400 ...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 07:05 PM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdogbikes
The bike is still for sale. I'm glad to run across this thread bc I've been watching this bike(gitane tdf) for couple years now,wondering why no one has bought it. It's always been out of my price range for a vintage bike.(I know I'm cheap but I'm having a blast on my stable of 100$ or less bikes. But.....I've come to like French bikes and this bike would make a good project and keeper.
Contact the seller, make an appointment, look at the Gitane, take it for a test ride, and the make an offer of $125, shut up and wait for the seller to respond. The first one to speak loses, so be patient and wait. Just say the tubular glue-on tires are very expensive and rebuilding wheels for clinchers will cost at least $200. Who knows, the seller may say yes to $125, doesn't hurt to ask. Bonne Chance!
Old 04-28-17, 08:21 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Yup. Get it. I'm on the hunt for either a TdF, super corse or PX10. I was so impressed w the way my Sport de Luxe rode. I sold it cause it was just too big for me. I'll snap up the next reasonably priced French racer that comes available in my area. Good luck.
Old 04-28-17, 09:00 PM
marius.suiram 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
He should at least clean the bike.
I will buy it when it will be 50$, probably in the next 2 years.
Old 04-28-17, 11:29 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by marius.suiram
He should at least clean the bike.
I will buy it when it will be 50$, probably in the next 2 years.
It's no longer up so it looks like someone bought it. Nice bike and I would have been interested at the $250.
Old 04-29-17, 04:38 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Components are simplex and stronglight. I cannot tell from the pics the condition, but 400 is high to me. I used to sell both Peugeot and Gitane in the early 70's, they both had their strengths, but I think the PX10 was a better bike. The Gitane was sloppy in its construction details.
I have seen some pretty "sloppy" PX10's too.
Old 05-01-17, 09:08 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I think for $250 it's a reasonable price if you are planning on buying it, putting it to rights and actually riding it.

It is a Tour de France, and I think the brazed-on rear brake cable stop indicates 1971 or earlier; Campagnolo Tip hubs, tubulars, looks like a pushrod Simplex front derailleur and probably the stock Simplex rear, which would have been one of the nicer Delrin rear derailleurs; Stronglight P3 headset; Stronglight 93 cranks with (hopefully!) the stock 42/52T rings; stock straight alloy seatpost; Mafac Racers; maybe Pivo bars and stem rather than AVA?

For all the kvetching about French threads, they're really not that big a deal today - there are enough people making NEW parts in that thread pattern that it is a non-issue, for the most part. If there is a problem with the headset (unlikely, the P3 is a pretty solid piece of equipment) you buy a cheap Tange CDS on the 'bay for <$20 and use the bottom half (which is what wears out) with the cleaned and repacked upper, threaded bits and you're good to go. No, the Velo Orange won't work on these because the steerer is too short to accomodate the VO stack height.

I've owned and ridden lots of PX-10s built from c.1968-1974, and while they are iconic bikes with neat history and possibly nicer graphics, every Gitane TdF I have ever thrown a leg over has been a better RIDING bike. Not so much to look at, maybe, and built quickly and to a price point, but the geometry is there, the handling is there, the suppleness is there. Mine have all been 60cm specimens (C-Top), and whether ridden fixed or geared, there is just something about them that keeps me coming back.

If it is your size and you want to fix it and ride it, do so. Beg buy or borrow the appropriate Stronglight crank puller. Clean and lube everything, replace the consumables, replace the a**-hatchet saddle with something more appropriate and ride it and dig the feel of metric gauge 531.
Old 12-23-17, 11:52 AM
jbai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a red, mid 70s Gitane Tour de France, 14 speed, 60cm for sale in case anyone is still looking for one. Asking $300. Since I'm a new user I can't post links or photos but if you google "Mid 1970s Gitane Tour de France" with the quotes you'll see a search result taking you to my San Francisco Craigslist posting.

I am the second owner of this wonderful classic french road bike and have owned it for the last eight years. I worked with the original owner who bought it around 1980. He is a serious cycling enthusiast who once rode this bike on a long tour from Seattle down the coast to California. I have not modified the bike since I bought it from him eight years ago aside from replacing a wheel and tires.

I took the bike in for a quick evaluation and I'm told it is ready to ride and doesn't have any major issues. Whoever buys it might benefit from taking it in for a quick tune up. That said, I just rode it a few blocks and was changing gears and braking without issue.