Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Taking a Trek DS 100 miles?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 09:29 PM
jcliszewski

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and also new to any sort of serious bike talk. I'm planning on doing a 100 mile ride next summer. It's a recreational rail-trail, 60% asphalt and the remaining 40% being gravel/dirt. Since my longest ride on my bike is currently only 65 miles, (all on asphalt) I was wondering if my 2016 Trek DS 8.3 would be good enough to ride the entire distance, assuming I spend the whole next summer training. The bike only cost about 600 dollars I believe.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
And if I sound like an idiot, just let me know. Still a beginner in bike language!
Old 11-09-17, 08:30 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It really comes down to you and your physical capabilities, I’ve rode a couple 100 plus rides on a Fuji Crosstown ($600) 40 pound bike with some gear. As far as the bike, as long as it’s in good running order: tires, brakes, bearings, etc, your bike should be fine. Just remember to bring plenty of water, and have a plan where you can stop to get more water and some food too. Also bring a extra tube and pump or inflater, you don’t want to be 50 miles out and stuck with a flat tire.

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 11-09-17 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-09-17, 08:42 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by jcliszewski
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and also new to any sort of serious bike talk. I'm planning on doing a 100 mile ride next summer. It's a recreational rail-trail, 60% asphalt and the remaining 40% being gravel/dirt. Since my longest ride on my bike is currently only 65 miles, (all on asphalt) I was wondering if my 2016 Trek DS 8.3 would be good enough to ride the entire distance, assuming I spend the whole next summer training. The bike only cost about 600 dollars I believe.
And if I sound like an idiot, just let me know. Still a beginner in bike language!
A 100 mile bike ride, with 40% on gravel and dirt is no joke. It isn't so much the equipment, but whether you are up for the ride.
Old 11-09-17, 08:54 AM
Roamer2

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2; 1952 Schwinn Green Hornet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With the proper training, tires & saddle you should be able to do that. It's a haul all in one day for most, tho.

As mentioned above, water and fuel (food) is absolutely key.
Old 11-09-17, 09:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
absotively! start early in the day just to be safe
Old 11-09-17, 02:31 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
The bike is up for it if you are. May want to go with something other than the stock tires though.

Also, don't wait until spring or summer to start training for this event. Start NOW!

Old 11-09-17, 04:45 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by jcliszewski
Hey everyone,
Point the first: if you can ride 65 miles in one day, you can do a century (100 miles). You will want to work up to at least 85% of the latter if you can, over time and ideally on some roads/surfaces approximating what you'll encounter, but there's no question that you 'can'.

Point the second: your Trek DS will be perfectly fine. You'll want to ensure that it's in good shape, and you certainly would want to consider investing in really good tires, but apart from that if the bike fits, you're comfortable on it, and especially if you've already done a 65 mile ride on it -- 100 miles should be fine. All down to you, the cyclist.

FWIW, I did my first 'century' ride on a hardtail mtb (26er) with road slicks, at age 59. I'm no athlete; if I can do it anyone can. It even had riser bars (Shock!!!) and front suspension (Horror!!!!), and I didn't suffer a life-threatening injury as a result of using 'the wrong tool for the job'.