Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is Campagnolo in decline?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is Campagnolo in decline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-14, 06:15 PM
cbresciani

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up with Campy on my road bikes when I started seriously riding in the late 70's early 80's. I still own my Campy Record, beautiful high flange track hubs and gruppo, track bike from that time and Campy was the main gruppo on most of the bikes at the velodrome back in the day. Since then all of my road bikes have had Campy on them and still do. The quality, craftsmanship, reliability and the rebuild ability IMO is what I like most about it.

My only bike that isn't Campy equipped is my MTB and that has a mix of Shimano XT and GripShift, which is awesome, and surprisingly still works great.
Old 07-03-14, 09:08 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I was told that Campy is as loud as Sram. Is that true?
Old 07-04-14, 05:00 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I was told that Campy is as loud as Sram. Is that true?
Only after it's been drinking.
Old 07-07-14, 08:07 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
My Local bike shop no longer carries Biopace Chainrings

Is Biopace in decline?

Seriously though, On the 11 speed Ultra torque crank, does the bearing come off to be serviced or cleaned?
Or do you have to replace the whole crank arm assembly?
If so I would say that is a big no-no. More than a decline: a downfall.

Last edited by kraftwerk; 07-10-14 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-10-14, 06:59 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Installed a new Record group this week and sold my 2006 group yo a young man who works at my LBS. I told him "welcome to the cult."

Old 07-19-14, 03:53 PM
Campagnono

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really understand why I see so many folks on the other side of the ocean not having access to Campy OE bikes. I just read an article today on VeloNews about "how Campagnolo OE is non-existent." That's like saying "Merida bikes are non-existent" or "Canyon bikes are non-existent." I guess things ARE non-existent in places where they don't exist.

So when I went to pick up new cables today at Decathlon (which is basically like France's version of Dick's Sporting Goods) in Rouen, I snapped a few pics showing store-brand carbon Btwins and their Campy OE specs.

You can get an aluminum Merida with Veloce for 999€, with Centaur for 1249€, a carbon Canyon with Chorus for 2199€, the same bike with a Power Tap G3 rear wheel and a free Garmin 510 for 2699€. In the U.S. that package would be like $5000 easy, no doubt. And you definitely couldn't get it at Sports Authority.

It's crazy when you guys think that Campy stuff only comes on $4,000 bikes. I guess that's true over there, and that's why Campy is "non-existent." But if you could walk into a Dick's or Sports Authority and get a store-brand alloy with Veloce for $850 (or whatever 649€ is today) it would be a different story and the "Campy OE is non-existent" articles would never be written. Campy is very much alive and folks just ride it. In the U.S. people call Campy riders "fanboys" or "Euro snobs" and that just doesn't even make sense to me. My aunt, who's 60, rides a 10-year old drop bar hybrid with Xenon 9-speed with 40mm tires and cantis, so perhaps it's just a perspective issue. But my 75kg aunt certainly isn't a Campy "fanboy," ha!

Old 07-19-14, 04:22 PM
Campagnono

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
Seriously though, On the 11 speed Ultra torque crank, does the bearing come off to be serviced or cleaned?
Or do you have to replace the whole crank arm assembly?
If so I would say that is a big no-no. More than a decline: a downfall.
You need a special bearing puller tool, Park, Var, and Campy all make a version of it.

I have several UT cranks and have only had to replace one NDS bearing after 20.000km on a 2010 Athena UT crank (which are now sadly PT.) That bike has a BB30 frame and uses the BB30 adapter cups, so that might have something to do with it.

On my main bike I've gone through three sets of brake pads and a rim and the original bearings are still solid.
Old 07-19-14, 06:25 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Inspired by the SRAM thread I figured I would start this. Seriously, I don't remember the last time I walked into an LBS and saw a Campy equipped bike on the floor. Must be in decline
Yes. The new 4-bolt crank is an eyesore which resembles ShimaNO's dead octopus cranks. Black alloy is a cheap carbon knock-off. St. Tullio is probably spinning in his grave.
Old 07-19-14, 08:50 PM
cbresciani

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campagnono
I don't really understand why I see so many folks on the other side of the ocean not having access to Campy OE bikes. I just read an article today on VeloNews about "how Campagnolo OE is non-existent." That's like saying "Merida bikes are non-existent" or "Canyon bikes are non-existent." I guess things ARE non-existent in places where they don't exist.

So when I went to pick up new cables today at Decathlon (which is basically like France's version of Dick's Sporting Goods) in Rouen, I snapped a few pics showing store-brand carbon Btwins and their Campy OE specs.

You can get an aluminum Merida with Veloce for 999€, with Centaur for 1249€, a carbon Canyon with Chorus for 2199€, the same bike with a Power Tap G3 rear wheel and a free Garmin 510 for 2699€. In the U.S. that package would be like $5000 easy, no doubt. And you definitely couldn't get it at Sports Authority.

It's crazy when you guys think that Campy stuff only comes on $4,000 bikes. I guess that's true over there, and that's why Campy is "non-existent." But if you could walk into a Dick's or Sports Authority and get a store-brand alloy with Veloce for $850 (or whatever 649€ is today) it would be a different story and the "Campy OE is non-existent" articles would never be written. Campy is very much alive and folks just ride it. In the U.S. people call Campy riders "fanboys" or "Euro snobs" and that just doesn't even make sense to me. My aunt, who's 60, rides a 10-year old drop bar hybrid with Xenon 9-speed with 40mm tires and cantis, so perhaps it's just a perspective issue. But my 75kg aunt certainly isn't a Campy "fanboy," ha!
Wow! That is very cool. I wish I could buy a Campy equipped bike at a sporting goods store.
Old 07-19-14, 10:53 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the bearing puller tool, will keep that in mind.

Hat's off to your Aunt, she seems like a cool lady.
Old 07-20-14, 07:48 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Anyone who has followed my posts on the 41 knows I'm no Campy fan, but I will make this observation. I have learned something from watching In-n-Out Burger as compared to the Big Three (MacD, BK, Wendy's). You don't have to like any of these restaurants see the analogy so please, no opinions about any of them. That is not really what my comment is about. My thought is it is a lot easier to be best in a category and make good money than it is to be biggest. When you try to be biggest instead of best, that is when the problems start. I can see Campy occupying a permanent place as the In-n-Out of cycling group parts. Good stuff, just no compromises to allow it to be the biggest.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-20-14, 07:52 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

That is standard operating practice for European companies. They only send their highest end goods to the USA. It has been the case in autos forever. We get no Mercedes and BMWs that don't have the full luxury treatment, leather etc., etc. No belt driven Volvos. No tiny BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, etc. How many stripped-down Mercedes taxis do you see in New York? It is a marketing strategy.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-20-14, 07:54 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Anyone who has followed my posts on the 41 knows I'm no Campy fan, but I will make this observation. I have learned something from watching In-n-Out Burger as compared to the Big Three (MacD, BK, Wendy's). You don't have to like any of these restaurants see the analogy so please, no opinions about any of them. That is not really what my comment is about. My thought is it is a lot easier to be best in a category and make good money than it is to be biggest. When you try to be biggest instead of best, that is when the problems start. I can see Campy occupying a permanent place as the In-n-Out of cycling group parts. Good stuff, just no compromises to allow it to be the biggest.
And I think that's a not insignificant part of why I eat at In n Out but not any of those others. The main reason is their burgers genuinely are better, of course.

I think you do Shimano a disservice by comparing their wares to McD's, though.
Old 07-20-14, 07:58 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Leinster
And I think that's a not insignificant part of why I eat at In n Out but not any of those others. The main reason is their burgers genuinely are better, of course.

I think you do Shimano a disservice by comparing their wares to McD's, though.
Like I said, that isn't the point. The point is the difference in result between trying to be best and trying to be biggest. Analogies are never perfect. If they were, they wouldn't be analogies, they would be equivalences.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-20-14, 08:31 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
...someone needs to start a thread here on whether In-n-Out Burger is in decline.

Also, does Campagnolo have a secret menu, that only the cogonoscenti can access ?
Old 07-20-14, 08:49 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...someone needs to start a thread here on whether In-n-Out Burger is in decline.

Also, does Campagnolo have a secret menu, that only the cogonoscenti can access ?
Andre Greipel rides EPS Animal Style.
Old 07-20-14, 08:50 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
That's interesting.