Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I Crazy? (Italian Components on Italian Frame)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 09:30 AM
Bianchi Ben
Celeste is the Best

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Peugeot Nice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, as my screenname suggests, I own a Bianchi. Its a Via Nirone Sora, as you know, the bottom end of Shimano. I'm super happy with the frame and I am now in the process of upgrading the rest of the bike. I really like the idea of Campy parts on my Bianchi frame. That being said, I have heard some mixed reviews of Campy equipment. I also started a BB thread where a number of people have recommended Shimano components. I do plan on keeping this frame for a long time to come and don't mind saving my money until I can offord at least the Athena line. Am I crazy for thinking this way? Should I open myself up to consider Shimano or maybe SRAM?

Thanks for the opinions...
Old 03-21-12, 09:35 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
First check where your frame is made and see if you really have an "Italian" frame.

Last edited by tagaproject6; 03-21-12 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 09:36 AM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even the lowest price group in the Campagnolo line is excellent. Go for it!
Old 03-21-12, 09:39 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
They all work well, but my opinion is to get what appeals to you. If you want Campy, then get Campy, if you prefer Shimano, get Shimano. If you don't care, get whatever is the best deal.

When I started seriously riding in the 80's Campy was considered the good stuff. At the time, I rode a bike with Shimano 600EX, which was also good and I loved it, but I always wanted a Campy equipped bike. Finally got mine in 2000:

Celeste by Yo Spiff, on Flickr
Old 03-21-12, 09:45 AM
Bianchi Ben
Celeste is the Best

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
First check where your frame is made and see if you really have an "Italian" frame.
hahah, yeah, I was actually thinking of mentioning that. But you know what I mean, Italian designed frame...

Here's mine...

Old 03-21-12, 09:46 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
With that being said, do not let the bike brand determine the components you use (not that there is anything wrong with that). Get the group that you like or that which makes you want to ride more. Nothing is wrong with any groupset that you like and use. If you like Campagnolo, go for it.
Old 03-21-12, 09:53 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
In your other thread, you said you bought a wheelset, and are now looking for a crank. If you are spending the cash there along a Shimano/SRAM compatibility plan, you seem to be headed away from Campy. Might want to make a decision before committing additional green.
Old 03-21-12, 09:55 AM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With that being said, do not let the bike brand determine the components you use (not that there is anything wrong with that). Get the group that you like or that which makes you want to ride more. Nothing is wrong with any groupset that you like and use. If you like Campagnolo, go for it.
+1
Old 03-21-12, 10:38 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I would ride the bike till you're tired of it and then upgrade the whole shebang at once. Besides the factors that RollCNY mentioned, the reality is that buying a complete bike is always cheaper than buying bits and pieces (assuming you're doing it new), you can probably get a reasonable chunk of your initial expense back and how much money do you want to spend upgrading a sub $1,000 bike? If you can find a used, good condition group on craigs list or something then have at it.
Old 03-21-12, 10:41 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah, you can ask for opinions on here and you will get lots of people telling you Shimano, Campy, SRAM is the best and lots of people telling you it doesn't matter. Its purely personal. I would love Campy on my Italian bike instead of the Shimano that's on it purely for aesthetics, but the current parts are in great shape and I just cant justify a switch like that right now.
Old 03-21-12, 10:49 AM
Bianchi Ben
Celeste is the Best

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
In your other thread, you said you bought a wheelset, and are now looking for a crank. If you are spending the cash there along a Shimano/SRAM compatibility plan, you seem to be headed away from Campy. Might want to make a decision before committing additional green.
Exactly, that's why I'm researching and gathering opinions and getting this squared away now. I 'd rather not buy Shimano or SRAM then decide I want Campagnolo later. Having just started with the wheelset, I can swap the Shimano/SRAM rear hub for a Campy compatible hub and go from there.
Old 03-21-12, 10:58 AM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Compatibility is somewhat of an issue. These are Shimano 10spd wheels with an Ultegra 6700 cassette on an otherwise Campy 10spd equipped "handmade Italian" bike. It works flawlessly. As for Italian bike Italian components mentality goes, although it is noble, but not even Italian bike manufacturers are adhering to it.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-21-12, 11:00 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Enjoy the new wheels. What is the current crankset? What are the brake calipers and are you running the stock brake pads?

That's a good looking bike. I'd try to enjoy it as is and slow down with your planned upgrades.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 03-21-12, 11:19 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Compatibility is somewhat of an issue. These are Shimano 10spd wheels with an Ultegra 6700 cassette on an otherwise Campy 10spd equipped "handmade Italian" bike. It works flawlessly. As for Italian bike Italian components mentality goes, although it is noble, but not even Italian bike manufacturers are adhering to it.
There's a whole chart out there somewhere which shows which year and speed groups play well together. Another option would be to buy a 105 Impulso, sell the groupset off of it for decent $$ and then use that money to buy a Campy groupset. This happens fairly frequently.
Old 03-21-12, 11:36 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
My new Cinelli build has 105 RD and cassette, and I have Veloce shifters and a Shiftmate for it. So I am familiar, but I figured I'd try to keep it simple.
Old 03-21-12, 11:42 AM
Bianchi Ben
Celeste is the Best

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
Enjoy the new wheels. What is the current crankset? What are the brake calipers and are you running the stock brake pads?

That's a good looking bike. I'd try to enjoy it as is and slow down with your planned upgrades.
Thanks, I'm happy with the looks for sure. And honestly all the mechanics of it. But I do know that upgrading will benefit my ride. For the short time I've been at it, some of the more advanced riders I go out with mention that I'm quite strong for my relative innexperience. All this talk of upgrade is purely research right now. The actual purchasing will come in time.

Here's the specs on the bike, 2009 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Sora Everything is stock. The wheelset I just bought are the Torelli Bormio Ultra Lights
Old 03-21-12, 12:08 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi Ben
. But I do know that upgrading will benefit my ride.
And how do you know this?

I think you'll be surprised by how little actual benefit you get with upgrades. Going from Sora to Athena, you might save a very small amount of weight, and the shifting may be a tad more crisp. However, the ride will still be the same, and any change in speed will be infinitesimal.

So upgrade if it makes you happy, but realize, it makes precious little difference.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-21-12, 12:28 PM
ryder0182

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 and Azonic DS-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do what you want, but if you haven't already, do your rims and safety a favor and upgrade your brake pads. I changed out my stem, tires, upgraded brake pads and plan to ride the Tiagra set into the ground.

Enjoy the ride
Old 03-21-12, 12:45 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryder0182
Do what you want, but if you haven't already, do your rims and safety a favor and upgrade your brake pads. I changed out my stem, tires, upgraded brake pads and plan to ride the Tiagra set into the ground.

Enjoy the ride
+1 on the brake pads (that's why I asked above). See if Kool Stops will work with your stock calipers.

I've never heard of that crankset, but I don't know that there's an issue there. Personally, I'd ride that bike for years and 'upgrade' shifters and things only as they wear out. Glad you are excited - but focus that energy on riding not towards blowing money on upgrades.

Last edited by dtrain; 03-21-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 12:55 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
As for Italian bike Italian components mentality goes, although it is noble, but not even Italian bike manufacturers are adhering to it.
Very true. My new Colnago is a Taiwan made frame, Italian made Deda components and Shimano wheels and groupo.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-21-12, 12:58 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Very true. My new Colnago is a Taiwan made frame, Italian made Deda components and Shimano wheels and groupo.
Both my Bianchi's came 105 spec'ed. Frames (I 'm pretty sure) were made in Asia. French wheels.

Old 03-22-12, 07:23 AM
Trailblazer3

Bikes: 2013 Cervelo R3; 2011 Pinarello FP2; 2010 Trek 1.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with the groupset you want, not where its made. I'm riding a Pinarello with SRAM. Some call it a sacriledge; I call it exactly what I wanted. That being said, if you can ride a groupset from all three brands give it a go, and pick the one you like the most. All three make exceptional groups that all function well. You just need to figure out which one serves your needs the most. Double Tap sealed the deal for me personally. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-22-12, 11:41 AM
Bianchi Ben
Celeste is the Best

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful insight everyone. I appreciate it. Like mentioned by a few of you, I'll upgrade these parts when my current equipment no longer functions properly, not as something just to spend money on. Hopefully in the meantime I'll be able to find some bikes to test out these different components to get a personal feel on what I like the most. Still leaning towards Campy
Old 03-22-12, 03:13 PM
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I think that it would help if you stopped thinking of Sora as "low-end" or "crappy." It's just not true. Sora stuff is fine. It's light, it's strong, and it will last you for years and thousands of miles. It's not stamped out of a sheet of scrap metal.....it's nicely machined stuff.

The REAL low end Shimano stuff is on those bikes in Walmart.

It pains me to see a new biker with a new bike already starting to buy into the upgrade hype. What you have is a great bike with great components that will perform great and last.
Old 03-22-12, 05:06 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Bianchi with SRAM. Just because you have an "Italian" bike doesn't mean you need an "Italian" groupset. My Oltre, which is their highest-end frame, has a sticker on the bottom that says "Made in Taiwan." Does it in any way affect my feelings for the bike? Not one bit. My Ducati has parts made in Asia as well. Also, if I remember correctly, my Fulcrum wheels(a Campy brand) where made somewhere else(box is in my storage so I can't look, Romania maybe?). So my point is, don't get hung up on that and just get what best suits your needs. In a global economy, pretty much everything has parts from everywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.