Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is this possibly Italian JP Special Pantograph?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is this possibly Italian JP Special Pantograph?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 04:23 PM
QuangVuong

Bikes: 89 Centurion Carbon, 91 Peugeot Izoard, 90s Giant Cadex 980c

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What is this Italian(?) JP Special Pantographed Bike?

I picked up this bike from Gumtree, Australia's version of Craigslist. I really only wanted the wheels, but it turns out the frame is quite interesting.

I believe this is an Italian built frame. It has an Italian threaded Cinelli BB. I believe this is the early 80s onwards Cinelli logo type.

Now here is the JP pantograph. The J and P overlap each other, and underneath, I believe it says SPECIAL. The paint is really thick, and it is hard to tell exactly what the small worder underneath the J and P says. Any ideas who's logo this is? Tom Ritchy and Pinarello are the two similar ones, but they are different to the JP logo.

And the other main feature is this cutout on the brake bridge. Very similar, if not the same as the Pinarello clove lug cutout. Is this cutout specific to Pinarellos? Or was this available as part of a lugset? This cutout is only found on the brake bridge. The rest of the lugs dont have any cutouts.

Also Im 99% sure its been repainted, so this sticker probably doesnt provide any help.

Anyway, those are the main features I can see. It has Campag fork tips and track ends. Also should be SLX from the rifling in the steerer. I havent pulled out the BB to check the main triangle. The bike came with Shamals, Stronglight 107 cranks, a 1055 headset and front brake(definitely not original), really skinny tubed 27.2 seatpost(which I reckon is Italian), and 3ttt bars and stem. WIth so many Italian bits on it, I am led to believe it is something Italian made.

This I believe once was a proper track frame, but someone drilled holes in the DT and used some self tappers to attach the bottle cage. When I pull of the front brake, ill check if the crown has been drilled, however, this fork has lots of clearance between the tyre and crown, so it may not be the original track fork. A bit of a waste, but if I find out the frame's origins, Ill restore it back to what it should be.

Last edited by QuangVuong; 10-27-14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 04:40 PM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Small update.

I believe the word under it says ESPECIAL. quite definite there's an E before the word special, if it does say special.

It's a different seat stay design too. Looks a bit like Somec frames.

BB shell

SLX rifling in the fork as well as ST and chain stays.

Campag tips.

Interesting non symmetrical fork tip joint.

Campag track end

Better image of the cutout in the brake bridge. Looks like the Pinarello clove. Or is it just a copy of the Pinarello cutout?

And headtube lugs if that's any help.
Old 10-29-14, 04:41 PM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The fork also has a brake hole, which I'm unsure is original or not. It's drilled well enough, and the crown to tyre clearance looks about right for a road fork. It's 13mm in this pic with a 21mm tubular. But, there's so little rake that it looks like track geometry. It has Campag tips and is SLX as well, so I'm assuming that it's original to the frame.

Frame weighs 1800g with a 600g fork for a 52/53 frame. Has a 27.2 post. Component dating is all over the place. Shimano 600 BB has a 85 axle with 86 cups. Front Shamal is 97 and the rear 95.

Oh, the fixed cup was red thread locked on. Had to use this 1.5m bar onto the adjustable wrench to get the cup moving. Is it a normal thing for Italian fixed cups to be thread locked so that it doesn't loosen off?

So, does anyone have a clue on this? Or is it going to become another mystery frame?
Old 10-29-14, 04:52 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
It is common to use thread lock on Italian BB's but blue not red!

Not sure what the JP is for though.
Old 10-29-14, 05:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I like it!

and I agree that it looks like a track racing bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-29-14, 05:38 PM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Here's a side view pic. Very nice clearances and it's got a 94cm wheelbase at shortest.
Old 10-31-14, 01:14 AM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Anyway, I have decided that I'll paint it in a few weeks so I stripped the paint from the pantograph.

Definitely a J and P interlocked. The J goes behind the P at the top, but is in front of the P on the bottom side. The word underneath certainly is ESPECIAL. The DS seat stay is sort of missing the word though. Either a too shallow pantograph or it's been sandblasted out.

Especial is Spanish for special. I got in contact with the seller, and apparently the bike was purchased in Argeina then brought to Spain, before coming to Australia.

Last edited by QuangVuong; 10-31-14 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-31-14, 06:03 AM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What makes you say that it's a DIY job? The white paint is not original. It's a really thick and poorly done powdercoat. Other than the paint, the frame looks like it was built well enough. Once the paint is off, then I'll be able to see how well/clean the brazing was done.

Plus, the pantographing really makes me think this was done by at least an established builder,(probably a small local builder) with their own brand.
Old 10-31-14, 06:14 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
If we want to get technical, the JP mark on the stay cap is a stamp, not a pantograph. Anyone could have a stamp like that made, so it doesn't necessarily mean an established builder. For sure he planned to make quite a few frames, but that doesn't mean he actually did.

It looks like a very nice frame, whatever it is.
Old 10-31-14, 06:17 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
That looks like a play on the famous "Johnny Player Special" cigarette brand. Not that I'd know, off course. Smoking is bad for you, mkay.

Sweet frame and the wheels are amazing.
Old 10-31-14, 01:28 PM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
If we want to get technical, the JP mark on the stay cap is a stamp, not a pantograph.
ah, it must be. The NDS logo is off centre, whereas the DS logo is centred but not stamped with enough force for the word especial.
Old 10-31-14, 10:00 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
I too was going to chime in with "John Player Special", not just a cigarette but also a Formula One race car...This is a very strange frame! Clearly a Cinelli SC BB shell, but it's been (slightly) re-worked, and those stay caps are highly unusual...never-the-less that bridge reinforcement is a Pinarello product, or a careful counterfeit...and why would anybody???
Yes, It's SLX...I'm going to guess it's from Argentina...why not?

Last edited by unworthy1; 10-31-14 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-01-14, 06:35 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
A look at Bing images for JP Especial bicycle shows many pics from South America. Nothing specific to your bike, but maybe that means you are correct in your thinking it has Argentinian or South American origin. I like the Johnny Player Special line of thinking, but the bike would certainly have to be black and gold to have anything to do with them! Apparently, the famous Raleigh Chopper stingray bike has a JP Special edition, in of course, black and gold!

Anyway, it looks like a real nice track racing frame. The geometry just looks right for the track. A check of the BB height should show more clearance than your normal road or street bike. Are you going to take her to the velodrome or just use it as a single speed street bike?
Old 11-01-14, 06:55 AM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'll be building this up with European parts. 3ttt bars and stem, Campag wheels(either my Record clinchers or the Shamal tubs), stronglight cranks, Campag headset, etc. Since the fork has been drilled already, I'll leave the hole, and will run a brake as a street fixed(really only practice for track as I'm only starting off). When it goes onto the velodrome, it'll come off.

Lots of suggestions on John Player Special. I could go with the flow and go with a black and gold paint job. But I was thinking of going with pearl white with a Mondrian touch to it(like the Donhou Mandrian bike). I'll continue seeking info on it first and see if I can find what it should be before going with a new paint scheme.

Also have another proper track bike(locally built frame by Kerry Hopkins) which is getting Japanese parts.

Last edited by QuangVuong; 11-08-14 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-01-14, 07:16 AM
gmouchawar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Its a Pinarello.
Old 11-01-14, 08:09 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gmouchawar
Its a Pinarello.
I think you are right!

I found this picture of a Pinarello Pista that has the same cutout in the same place as the OP's bike, on the brake bridge -

Old 11-01-14, 08:31 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by gmouchawar
Its a Pinarello.
If so (and I don't know either way) show us an example that matches this one.
I'm sure the brake bridge reinforcement is a strong persuader for that conclusion, but never seen a Pinarello with a curved bridge, stay caps like these, stamped with "JP especial" or a myriad of other details...in fact I HAVE seen them with that same Cinelli BB shell but with their own name in place of Cinelli (which was done for several other brands, too). I reckon the bridge bits could have been sourced from whoever made an order for Pinarello, but sold some "out the back door", or even cannibalized from a wreck...just speculation, but I'm not convinced by that single feature.
Old 11-01-14, 10:03 AM
vjp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Columbus fork steerer have had the helical ridges (a misnomer to say "rifling") since at least the 1950's, way before there was an SLX tube set, it is not an SLX steerer.
Old 11-01-14, 10:33 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

^true, but the shot of interior BB shows the "helicoidal ridges" ("rifling" is just our shorthand term for this feature) in at least the ST and chainstays, which would point to at least some of this tubeset being SLX (why the DT wouldn't be is mysterious, and you can't judge the TT from the BB shell)....and they do look to me to be Columbus ridges, not the variations that Tange or Ishiwata was known to use.
Old 11-01-14, 03:25 PM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
They are definitely 5 helical ridges. No doubt that it's the Columbus rifling. Other than SLX, which tubeset a did have rifling? It'll be safe to say that this frame is at earliest an early 80s frame, from the age of the BB shell.

The JP logo and the Pinarello cutout don't fit together. It could be that this JP builder got some normal bridge and then cut out the clove in it. Or it could be a Pinarello that JP repaired and decided to add on his caps, but I doubt this. It is missing too many Pinarello logos and names on it.

Stripping the the paint all the way down will show the quality of the brazing, and see if there are any old pantographs that were filled in. I'll do this in 2 weeks time or so.
Old 11-01-14, 03:49 PM
vjp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm just talking about the steerer, there is no SLX steerer, they all have the ridges.

Originally Posted by unworthy1
^true, but the shot of interior BB shows the "helicoidal ridges" ("rifling" is just our shorthand term for this feature) in at least the ST and chainstays, which would point to at least some of this tubeset being SLX (why the DT wouldn't be is mysterious, and you can't judge the TT from the BB shell)....and they do look to me to be Columbus ridges, not the variations that Tange or Ishiwata was known to use.
Old 11-01-14, 03:51 PM
vjp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, it is an SLX (or SPX) tube set, but the steerer has nothing to do with that, all Columbus steerer tubes are ridged and have been for a long time.

Originally Posted by QuangVuong
They are definitely 5 helical ridges. No doubt that it's the Columbus rifling. Other than SLX, which tubeset a did have rifling? It'll be safe to say that this frame is at earliest an early 80s frame, from the age of the BB shell.

The JP logo and the Pinarello cutout don't fit together. It could be that this JP builder got some normal bridge and then cut out the clove in it. Or it could be a Pinarello that JP repaired and decided to add on his caps, but I doubt this. It is missing too many Pinarello logos and names on it.

Stripping the the paint all the way down will show the quality of the brazing, and see if there are any old pantographs that were filled in. I'll do this in 2 weeks time or so.
Old 11-01-14, 03:53 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
here's a Pinarello seatstay pantograph:

close but no cigar. Plus, Pinarello never put special below theirs. and the flat shape is unusual for the seatstay cap.

The "bird" or "flower" lug cutout does look like those on Pinarellos; not sure if that lug cutout was limited to Pinarellos.

I've not seen any Pinarellos using Cinelli bottom brackets; they say Treviso if anything.

Whatever the bike is; build it up and let us know how it rides.
Old 11-01-14, 10:28 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

They may not SAY "Cinelli" but here's one that I'd bet the farm was investment cast by Cinelli and Cinelli simply customized it for Pinarello with their name and town.
I'm sure that others that Pinarello used were not Cinelli products, but these are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
images.jpg (12.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 11-02-14, 08:41 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by QuangVuong
I'll be building this up with European parts. 3ttt bars and stem, Campag wheels(either my Record clinchers or the Shamal tubs), stronglight cranks, Campag headset, etc. Since the fork has been drilled already, I'll leave the hole, and will run a brake as a street fixed(really only practice for track as I'm only starting off). When it goes onto the velodrome, it'll come off.

Lots of suggestions on John Player Special. I could go with the flow and go with a black and gold paint job. But I was thinking of going with pearl white with a Mandrian touch to it(like the Donhou Mandrian bike). I'll continue seeking info on it first and see if I can find what it should be before going with a new paint scheme.

Also have another proper track bike(locally built frame by Kerry Hopkins) which is getting Japanese parts.
I think that's a wise approach. I'd touch up the paint and build it up and ride for a while. Sooner or later your inquiries will pay off and you'll know exactly what it is, who built it, etc. And then you'll probably know what colors to paint it. The frame is distinctive enough that you're sure to figure it out sooner or later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.