Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2014 - Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2014 - Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 10:09 PM
Mongoeric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vancouver to Mexico. Or as far south as I can get before I have to fly back east to my niece's wedding.

Remember though, man plans, God laughs!
Old 01-08-14, 02:34 PM
mtn.cyclist

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son and I will bikepack in Utah in April...3 days in the Johns Canyon area. Not much mileage but lots of exploration. All camping. In June we will do the Silverthorne to Platoro section of The Great Divide Trail then home on pavement/dirt, about 800 miles, mostly camping. No doubt there will be some other short overnight or weekend tours as well.
Old 01-08-14, 08:52 PM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find myself single again, so I am thinking about hitting up NZ or maybe South Asia and Africa.... Ideas
Old 01-11-14, 06:25 PM
vanqtruong

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rwpshaw
The plan is to ride from Gainesville, FL, west on the Southern Tier, north on the Underground RailRoad, then west on the TransAmerican to Denver, starting in mid-April. Some with a friend, the rest solo. Camping, motels, warm showers. Not much cooking.
Hey, I'm from Gainesville, FL too and I'm planning a ride starting early May except from the opposite direction! Message me and let's chat and maybe meet up in the local area. Would love to hear more about your plans. I'm starting in Seattle, WA and ending in my hometown of Daytona Beach, FL.
Old 01-15-14, 04:51 PM
Jim Bangs

Bikes: Surly Ogre,Surly Long Haul Trucker, Schwinn Le Tour Elite

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A short but fun tour this summer. Prairie Spirit trail in Kansas and then a hop over to the Katy trail. 1st tour with my off-road bike. About eight days or so. Pretty excited!!
Old 01-18-14, 03:47 PM
Thrift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to New Zealand April 4-May 31 with my sister. We're planning on hitting both islands and as many Lord of the Rings filming locations as possible. We'll be stealth camping, and probably WWOOFing for a week. Anyone have any route experience? Or advice in general?
Old 01-18-14, 06:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrift
I'm going to New Zealand April 4-May 31 with my sister. We're planning on hitting both islands and as many Lord of the Rings filming locations as possible. We'll be stealth camping, and probably WWOOFing for a week. Anyone have any route experience? Or advice in general?
That time of year is late autumn, and could be quite rainy and rather dark ... I'm just across the water in Australia (Victoria/Tasmania), and here, at the end of the first week of April, it's like someone flips a switch and the rain starts.

So ... bring rain gear and lights.
Old 01-22-14, 03:11 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrift
I've been to NZ twice, and I can vouch for what Machka said. It gets *very* cold there -- even in summer. Looking at your dates, my advice would be do the South Island first (i.e. April) before the winter really sets in. Then it the North island a bit later, where it mightn't be too bad. Once you get around to the Dunedin/Invercargill area in the south, there is no land between that coastline and Antarctica. The weather often reflects that.

That is all.
Old 01-22-14, 03:13 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
As far as my plans are concerned, it will probably be in the second-half of the year after some changes in my life recently. I'm tossing up between Malaysia and Thailand -- and there will almost certainly be a return to Taiwan around Christmas.

That is all.
Old 01-22-14, 09:06 PM
Wowk

Bikes: Giant CRX 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 7,000km+ (4,300 miles) trip starting in London and finishing in Istanbul, starting April this year.

Will be tackling the Pyrenees at some point, followed by Sardinia, Italy, Hungary, Croatia, along to coast past Greece to Turkey is the planned route.

It is my first tour and I am feeling a mix of anxiousness and excitement! Even right now.
Old 01-23-14, 09:14 AM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will be tackling the Pyrenees at some point, followed by Sardinia, Italy, Hungary, Croatia, along to coast past Greece to Turkey is the planned route.

It is my first tour and I am feeling a mix of anxiousness and excitement! Even right now.
Sounds like it could get quite hot later on in the tour. I have similar concerns, I'm hoping to leave San Antonio TX second week of June and ride to New York State (about 2,000 miles). Assuming I can stay on schedule, the first two weeks out of Texas and northeast across Arkansas might be tough until I can accumulate some latititude and literally leave the sun behind to some degree (we're at 29 degrees north here in San Antonio, in June the sun is only about seven degree off of vertical at noontime).

Mike
Old 01-23-14, 08:27 PM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just applied for my visa for New Zealand. Guess I'm going there to start, in March. Working/cycle bumming around
Old 01-25-14, 07:55 PM
tonytwotimes
Dreaming of Touring

Bikes: 2014 Salsa Vaya 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Victoria BC ---> Deadhorse Alaska.
May
Old 01-27-14, 09:12 AM
balrog687

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Carretera austral (Chile), puerto varas to puerto chacabuco.
Old 01-27-14, 04:35 PM
Lou Skannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Victoria, BC, up to Port Hardy, Inside Passage to Prince Rupert; then Highway 16 to Jasper, Icefields Parkway to Banff. On to Calgary; Then TCH all the way home to Winnipeg. Leaving in early June.

Anyone done anything similar and how long did it take?
Old 01-28-14, 02:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Lou Skannon
Victoria, BC, up to Port Hardy, Inside Passage to Prince Rupert; then Highway 16 to Jasper, Icefields Parkway to Banff. On to Calgary; Then TCH all the way home to Winnipeg. Leaving in early June.

Anyone done anything similar and how long did it take?
I haven't done it all in one go, but I've cycled a good portion of that.

However, I would highly recommend not riding the TCH the whole way to Winnipeg. It would probably be all right to the Saskatchewan/Manitoba border ... boring as can be, but at least it has shoulders. But once you get into Manitoba, the shoulder disappear and it becomes a very scary route. Pick Highway 2 or 3 instead.
Old 01-29-14, 07:51 AM
Hardy Woodward

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Madone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to take my first long distance ride this year. I am going to ride the Katy Trail from St Louis to Kansas City and back. I am planning on riding the 500 miles over 9 days. I am thinking late May, before it gets too hot.
Old 02-03-14, 04:55 PM
2ering

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de France, 2003 Trek Madone 5.9, 2007 Co-Motion Americano, 2017 Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
An organized trip (REI) from Vienna to Prague in the Spring followed in late Summer with last year's planned but not completed self-contained camping, cooking trip around the coastline of lower Michigan, with dog in tow. Considering the Great Ohio Bicycling Adventure, a RAGBRAI-style ride, in mid-June.

Last edited by 2ering; 02-03-14 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 05:38 PM
surfjimc
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hoping to do the Oregon Coast, starting in Portland, over to Astoria, and ending in Crescent City, CA. Then renting a car and driving home. Hope to do it the last two weeks of July. High time for traffic, but that's what the schedule will give me this year.
Old 02-04-14, 07:59 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Doorstep--->wherever----->Doorstep. April. Hopefully with a friend. Been building a touring bike up for him.
Old 02-05-14, 10:13 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshSlocum
Planning to ride around Lake Superior this summer. I drove around it 20+ years ago (~1700 mi.) and circumnavigated the lake in 2005 (~1000 mi.) in my sailboat. Now it is time to do it on my bike. Sailing is taking a back seat to biking.

That should be fun. I have hiked the pictured rock lakeshore trail from Grand Marais to Munising- gorgeous. My wife and I drove the Canandian side from Duluth to Ste Sault Marie. Of all the beautiful great lakes, Superior is the gem. I would like to cycle it sometime. Enjoy.
Old 02-05-14, 10:29 AM
lakhotason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
Doorstep--->wherever----->Doorstep. April. Hopefully with a friend. Been building a touring bike up for him.
Now there's a non-plan I like. I'm going to tour the same way I backpack. I know where I'm to begin and I know I'll end at my front door but what happens in-between is a total mystery.
Old 02-05-14, 10:35 AM
iforgotmename

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to do a couple of bikepacking trips this summer. One in the Allegheny National Forest in Pennsylvania and another in Wayne National Forest in Ohio, no set route just going to bring a map and plan day to day.
Old 02-05-14, 11:01 AM
lakhotason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfjimc
Hoping to do the Oregon Coast, starting in Portland, over to Astoria, and ending in Crescent City, CA. Then renting a car and driving home. Hope to do it the last two weeks of July. High time for traffic, but that's what the schedule will give me this year.
I backpacked that route last summer. I wouldn't worry too much about the traffic. You'll mostly have plenty of room but more importantly there are so many cyclists that the motorists are pretty careful.
Old 02-06-14, 09:56 AM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if i can get a new frame before the summer ends it could either be ireland /scotland or wales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.