Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to keep a freewheel safe after soaking it in water.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How to keep a freewheel safe after soaking it in water.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 06:47 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Nice! I have an '84 Schwinn World Sport that has a 6-sprocket Ultra on the back, though it's a 14-28. It seems like a tank of a freewheel. If I ever get that bike to a better place than it is now, I'll send the freewheel to the Pastor Bob Spa.
Old 01-17-18, 11:18 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 961 Posts
@hokiefyd, thanks for the confidence! I want to be as helpful and as affordable as possible. I realize my service is not for everyone. I do appreciate my clients.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-17-18, 01:40 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
I fully appreciate the art of a job done right, Pastor Bob. Your hobby and service seems to be in a class by itself.

I got bogged down time-wise taking freewheels apart, so almost never do that any more, but I occasionally have to make my own tool to disassemble and tighten the bearings on a freehub body (on a valuable wheelset) that may no longer even be available as a replacement part (or that costs $80, lol).

I mentioned the Finish Line Citrus Degreaser since it is the most aggressive product of it's kind that I have found and is water-miscible after does it's thing loosening crud. It is a last resort for STI levers, but will free the worst of them.
I was one who believed that the OP's overnight water soaking and spraying would do no harm at all, but came late to the discussion.
Old 01-17-18, 01:53 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I'm a big believer the Freewheel Spa treatment from @pastorbobnlnh, he has truly perfected the process, as the Regina Extra items he has refreshed for my use. I did the freewheel disassembly and refurb thing, back many years. Its worth the few days, and dollars, to get them done by a craftsman. With the prices of Regina freewheels of all species, its well worth having him do the work to keep mine running as they were intended.

Polymorph, that SunTour looks better than I expected it could from your descriptions, you now have a great, durable and reliable freewheel on your girlfriend's bike. Smart choice there.

Bill
Old 01-17-18, 03:32 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
It strikes me that overhauling freewheels is a pastime largely necessitated by freewheels sitting around unused for decades. Any freewheel that is actually ridden will survive on oil dripped into it for the entire useful life on the sprockets. The days of replacement Winner sprocket boards are unfortunately past.
Old 01-17-18, 08:56 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Then we must agree to disagree. And, that’s life isn’t it?

Bring back free wheel cog boards!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-17-18, 09:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I hope it's still PC to talk about special mellowing agents!
Yes, it's an excellent water displacer. It's used commercially to save electronics that are water compromised.

One of the ways they demo it at trade shows is by setting up and running an electric train set at the bottom of a fish tank, complete with live fish swimming around.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-17-18, 10:08 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Then we must agree to disagree. And, that’s life isn’t it?
About which thing?
Old 01-17-18, 10:28 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Any freewheel that is actually ridden will survive on oil dripped into it for the entire useful life on the sprockets.
That sounds like lifetime guarantee on something - when the thing breaks and you try to collect you are told, well, that's the life of it, sorry.

I have worn out sprockets, broken sprockets, and had the FW body come apart, despite trying to keep the oiled. Commute enough in tbe rain and they will wear out. Pastor Bob does wonders to get them working again.
Old 01-17-18, 11:32 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by jimmuller
That sounds like lifetime guarantee on something - when the thing breaks and you try to collect you are told, well, that's the life of it, sorry.

I have worn out sprockets, broken sprockets, and had the FW body come apart, despite trying to keep the oiled. Commute enough in tbe rain and they will wear out. Pastor Bob does wonders to get them working again.
I just meant that the cogs wear, too. How many chains is any freewheel good for? It might be more than the three chains a 10 speed cassette is good for, but not that much more.
Old 01-18-18, 12:05 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I just meant that the cogs wear, too. How many chains is any freewheel good for? It might be more than the three chains a 10 speed cassette is good for, but not that much more.
I used to figure a freewheel was good for about 2 chains, back in the 6 speed freewheel days. I rode about 15k miles/year then, and there wasn't much point to freewheel maintenance beyond flush and lube. Teeth wore out inside of a year. You could milk them a bit more, BITD, by replacing individual cogs from a cog board. Haven't seen a cog board in decades...

For freewheels that have now been sitting around 3+ decades, and probably won't get ridden near that much and by a weekend rider (me nowadays BTW), it makes more sense to rebuild.
Old 01-18-18, 12:15 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
A vintage freewheel service offered by a pastor on one of the friendliest corners of the interwebs? Maybe there is hope for humanity.
Old 01-18-18, 06:15 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

On the freewheels which Bob refreshed for me he has notified me of questionable or worn cogs each time. He has collected cogs over the years and if he has the correct cog needed he lets me know. It is my choice to buy the cog from him, inexpensively at that, or take the risk of continued use of the old cog. For me, there are only so many of the old freewheels, in the cog selection which my riding is best done with, out there and that my limited funds permit me to purchase. I don’t care for most of the currently produced lowend freewheels such as Sun race, some folks are just fine using them. That is each persons’ personal choice.

Bill

Old 01-18-18, 06:18 AM
Kontact 

On the freewheels which Bob refreshed for me he has notified me of questionable or worn cogs each time. He has collected cogs over the years and if he has the correct cog needed he lets me know. It is my choice to buy the cog from him, inexpensively at that, or take the risk of continued use of the old cog. For me, there are only so many of the old freewheels, in the cog selection which my riding is best done with, out there and that my limited funds permit me to purchase. I don’t care for most of the currently produced lowend freewheels such as Sun race, some folks are just fine using them. That is each persons’ personal choice.

Bill
What sort of issues have you seen with the Sun Race freewheels?
Old 01-18-18, 06:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I had a couple of SunRace freewheels with an exciting feature, insufficient bearing preload allowed the outer body to clank during pedaling... they started falling apart after a few hundred miles.

ditto. SunRace = Avoid

Outer body clanking under load
Grinding while freewheeling

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 01-18-18 at 06:32 AM. Reason: answers question above
Old 01-18-18, 07:09 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
I've scanned a few of the posts here and will address the following:

1) Compressed air for drying. Low PSI maybe, but generally not highly advised to use compressed air on bearings/bearing surfaces.

2) Simple Green. It's harsh stuff. Reps from Simple Green have advised against using in on bicycle parts. Steel or alloy.

A fantastic water displacement product is LPS-1. Light duty lubricant, Dielectric, and a rust inhibitor.
Old 01-18-18, 09:13 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by 4funbikes
2) Simple Green. It's harsh stuff. Reps from Simple Green have advised against using in on bicycle parts. Steel or alloy.
Which is interesting as both of the coops in my area use Simple Green almost exclusively.
Old 01-18-18, 11:31 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

What sort of issues have you seen with the Sun Race freewheels?
The problems I have seen with Sunrace freewheels were, poorly constructed bodies, threads being improperly cut, inadequate grease in the bearings, weakened springs for pawls and other quality control matters in their manufacture. I have had them examined by a master machinist, they were judged as inferior products and not well made. My decision is related to my career in quality control engineering, and structural metal fatigue and failure analysis. I won't get further into this.

If you are perfectly comfortable with them, the by all means please do, and I wish you the best with them. If you are basing it upon your experience as a mechanic, that is something you have the advantage of using, and it is simply from personal experience and preferences that I can make my choices. At 61 I don't feel the need to seek approval or follow a particular crowd, this is my sole motivation.

Bill

Old 01-18-18, 11:35 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Which is interesting as both of the coops in my area use Simple Green almost exclusively.
Bike coops are generally run by whomever decides to volunteer - which is rarely anyone with shop experience of the ones I've seen.
Old 01-18-18, 11:37 AM
Kontact 

The problems I have seen with Sunrace freewheels were, poorly constructed bodies, threads being improperly cut, inadequate grease in the bearings, weakened springs for pawls and other quality control matters in their manufacture. I have had them examined by a master machinist, they were judged as inferior products and not well made. My decision is related to my career in quality control engineering, and structural metal fatigue and failure analysis. I won't get further into this.

If you are perfectly comfortable with them, the by all means please do, and I wish you the best with them. If you are basing it upon your experience as a mechanic, that is something you have the advantage of using, and it is simply from personal experience and preferences that I can make my choices. At 61 I don't feel the need to seek approval or follow a particular crowd, this is my sole motivation.

Bill
I wasn't calling out your manhood, I was just curious what you had seen.
Old 01-18-18, 11:57 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

No where have I said that you questioned anything about me.

end of all participation in this thread. Good day to all.

Old 01-18-18, 12:00 PM
Kontact 

No where have I said that you questioned anything about me.

end of all participation in this thread. Good day to all.
The second half of your answer sounded needlessly defensive.
Old 01-18-18, 02:57 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Nope.

Old 01-18-18, 05:01 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,603 Times in 3,467 Posts
Let it go, Kontact. Move on please.
Old 01-18-18, 06:54 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I have never purchased a Simple Green product. However, a quick look at their website reveals that, if you can follow instructions, their products are indeed safe for bare aluminum and many other surfaces.

Frequently Asked Questions | Simple Green

I'm also another happy customer of @pastorbobnlnh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.