Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Classic Bike vs Bike Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 05:00 PM
Kahrpistols

Bikes: Fuji Cross 2.0 LE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys! I've been doing a lot of research recently and, at least on paper, I'm quite torn between a few bikes and was hoping y'all could help out. I'm not sure whether to go aluminum (CAAD 12 or Specialized Allez Sprint) or carbon, Canyon Aeroad or Ultimate. I currently have an aluminum frame / carbon fork bike already, which is making me lean towards a full carbon bike, but I have heard so many good things about the CAAD & Sprint that it makes me reconsider going full carbon.

Canyon offers crazy good deals on their bikes - Ultegra, disc brake, with Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL disc wheels, $3,600 for the Ultimate SL & same spec except with Reynolds Strike SLG disc wheels for $3,800 for the Aeroad SLX. I'm looking at a similar amount if I get the Sprint & put some upgraded wheels on it & a bit less on the CAAD 12.

For a little more, I can get full carbon from Canyon. Has anyone else come across a similar dilemma and what did you do? I am currently traveling, and therefore unable to take any of these for a test ride, but plan to ride at least the CAAD & Sprint when I get back. But, as I'm sure you know, Canyon is only online in the US so I have no choice there....
Old 03-27-18, 08:18 AM
SDF15

Bikes: Vintage Camille Dardenne

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been There, Seen That, Done That

Had similar problem one year ago- got an excellent deal on a used carbon frame for same or even less the price of a good alloy one. I went for the carbon frame because I wanted to see how it feels to own one.

it will always depend what you will intend to do with the bike:

Performance: For training or amateur level racing performance wise there will be no difference,
Comfort wise: there are better and cheaper options to improve comfort other than frame material choice .
Durability:Carbon feels fragile and you always have to handle it like porcelain. But carbon is repairable.

If you ask me now I would always go for the alloy and put the price difference into better wheels, larger tires >= 25mm, better saddle, a bikefit or a powermeter.