Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking Handlebars - how do flat bars rank?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 08:31 AM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I'm not much of a mountain biker, but I'm building out a bike for bikepacking. How would ordinary flat bars rank for handlebars?

I know for touring you want lots of hand positions, but it seems for off-road riding, you want wide flat bars as your primary hand position, for responsiveness and control.
I've seen a few alt mtb bars (like Jones loop bars), but it seems most all have too much sweep for good handling. On the other hand, the downside of flat bars is only one hand position. Maybe get those bar end horns? I suppose butterfly bars are an option, but I've never liked the look of those.

I suppose what I'm asking is: Would you do an off-road tour on flat bars?

Last edited by BlarneyHammer; 01-12-19 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 09:09 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlarneyHammer
I'm not much of a mountain biker, but I'm building out a bike for bikepacking. How would ordinary flat bars rank for handlebars?

I know for touring you want lots of hand positions, but it seems for off-road riding, you want wide flat bars as your primary hand position, for responsiveness and control.
I've seen a few alt mtb bars (like Jones loop bars), but it seems most all have too much sweep for good handling, and the downside of flat bars is only one hand position. Maybe get those bar end horns? I suppose butterfly bars are an option, but I've never liked the look of those.

I would, but it'd be more of a cost/convenience/couldn'tbebotheredtochangeem thing.

As a general rule, you're not racing, and with the bike loaded vs what you'd see on a normal racing bike I wouldn't get too hung up on handling. If anything wider bars might slow you down more over long distances due to wind resistance.
Old 12-26-18, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
*42*

try it and you be the judge... why does popularity matter?

does your shifter require a 22.2 bar? IE grip /MTB type?

I have trekking bars
and straight bars with Ergon grips.. and those grips on my Brompton M bars.

I like my Separable Bike Friday Flat bars...I put GR3 Ergon Grips on them ... too ..

Rank? Able bodied seaman (engine-man) in the US Navy, in the 60's E-2. Submarines..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-28-18 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 10:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts

I've seen a few alt mtb bars (like Jones loop bars), but it seems most all have too much sweep for good handling, and the downside of flat bars is only one hand position. Maybe get those bar end horns? I suppose butterfly bars are an option, but I've never liked the look of those.

Well considering that bikepacking originated for off-road touring on mountain bikes with flat bars, yes they can be used for flat bars. Given the width of the bars, they carry long items like tents better. Not only would I off-road tour on flat bars, I off-road tour on a mountain bike. I would only off-road tour on the smoothest of paths...like rail trails...on a drop bar bike. For everything else, I off-road tour on this

IMG_3144 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

It’s Moots YBB that has just enough suspension on the rear to take the edge off of impacts. The front suspension locks out so I can ride rigid on pavement or smooth bits. It has barends for extra hand positions as well.

Here’s what it looks like loaded.

DSCN1197 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-26-18, 12:24 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I would never build a real off-road bikepacking bike with drop bars. Go fine your local mtb trails and try to ride them on your touring bike and you’ll see what I mean. Hell, I did a tour where lots of the roads were large gravel(with lots of fist sized rocks in it) and steep hills that made me wish I were in flat bars. I had to go much slower down the steep hills than I would have on flat bars, and even then it was still sketchy. It’s imposible to get a secure grip and ride the brakes on drop bar brake hoods.
Old 12-26-18, 12:52 PM
BlarneyHammer

I definitely don't intend to ride drop bars. On the contrary, I want something like flat bars because I want the better control.

I'm only wondering if the one hand position flat bars offer is enough, or do you "need" alt mtb bars for more hand positions.
Old 12-26-18, 01:33 PM
manapua_man

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I definitely don't intend to ride drop bars. On the contrary, I want something like flat bars because I want the better control.

I'm only wondering if the one hand position flat bars offer is enough, or do you "need" alt mtb bars for more hand positions.
At the end of the day all this is a call only you can make. I'd just slap some bar ends on if the bike already has flat bars. The bike I usually fly with is a folding mtb with narrow-ish flat bars.
Old 12-26-18, 01:44 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I've done a lot of riding on flat bars with bar ends which gives two. You can also add aerobars for three if you want.
I would suspect there are far more people riding off road on flats with or without barends than jones bars, dirt drops or other "new" iterations.
Old 12-26-18, 02:56 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts

I'm only wondering if the one hand position flat bars offer is enough, or do you "need" alt mtb bars for more hand positions. I'm only wondering if the one hand position flat bars offer is enough, or do you "need" alt mtb bars for more hand positions.
Bar ends make "flat bars" (most have 2-8 degree bend back towards bicyclist) tolerable for many tourists. I still use Cane Creek bar ends because they allow one to rotate hands/wrists/forearms to a more comfortable position than the standard flat bar grip, without requiring a more forward, further-reach posture of typical bar ends. Bar ends are a pretty easy/cheap alternative to a flat handlebar.

There are dozens of handlebars besides the usual flat, riser, drop or trekking (Nitto, Soma, VO). Evaluating an alternate bar is often a fraught, costly process one should try to avoid unless all else fails, as there are usually reach and bar height changes to consider/correct, and new brake levers, shifters, stem, cable+housing, etc may be required.
Old 12-26-18, 04:47 PM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
If you’re riding what I guess I would call “active” trails, where you’re moving around on the bike, making frequent turns, etc, I think you’d be fine with just flats. I can go ride singletrack on my mtb for a couple hours and be perfectly comfortable on flats. On the road, you aren’t moving your hands much. I wouldn’t be comfortble riding the road for a couple hours on flats. However, bar ends are cheap, I guess why not put some on in case there are longer stretches?
Old 12-26-18, 10:36 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Whichever you decide, remember that swept back bars require longer cables and brake lines. If you decide to try flat bars first, cut the lines a bit long in case they don't work out for you.
Old 12-26-18, 10:51 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The kind of drop bars used in this context differ from standard road bike drop bars. They tend to be much more flared out, and are typically set up higher, so that when your hands on the drops would be in a position similar in height to where they would rest on a flat bar.

Frames designed for mtn bike drop bars also are a bit shorter in the top tube, relative to standard flat-bar frames.

(one of my brake levers slipped, since corrected, but this is my only head-on view photo)

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 12-26-18 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 11:06 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
I found this video interesting. I ma not a big fan of these folks, but once in a while they put out something worth watching

Old 12-27-18, 11:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Then there are figure 8 bend Trekking Bars .. That use all the flat bar brake & shift levers But not on GCN A vs B comparison..

Above is a round grip comparison.. (and they work to make drop bars look better, brcause they have an A priori conclusion to support..

.. I put Ergon grips on 2 flat bar bikes , and no longer a person who must go fast.. ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-27-18 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 01:21 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I've been using a flat riser bar on the Silk Path, since I got it, and it's surprisingly neutral, even after several hundred miles. I thought it was pretty urgent, to grab some trekking bars, but it's really not "as" big a deal as we might think. 🤔
Old 12-27-18, 03:21 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I love my Jones H loop bars. Would like to put them on my old bike as well.

Old 12-27-18, 03:46 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by baldilocks
+1 for the ubiquitous Jones Loops. I have the 710-wide flat version on my ECR, and the 660-wide 2.5 version on my Troll.
Old 12-27-18, 11:21 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by baldilocks
I was tempted by the H loop, but before I invested that kind of money, I bought a set of cheap sweep back bars to see if I would like the hand position. I did not.
Stayed with flat bars and put on 2 position bar ends. Added a longer stem and seems good for now.
Old 12-28-18, 04:17 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's riding position that counts, and some of the vairiants in the pictures look like they will have an effect on that. I took the bar ends off my flat bars since they were never used. A longer stem is a good suggestion, and may improve your riding position.
Old 12-28-18, 09:34 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Flat bars are all I use with my bikepacking rigs. I like a bar with 15-20 or so degrees of sweep. Then I add bar ends for change of hand positions. Works great for me. Bonus? The bar ends are a great way to attach a handlebar bag.
Old 12-28-18, 01:05 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts

blarney, unfortunately you ultimately have toride diff bars with extended riding to really know the answer.

personally, drop bars with flare are pretty good on dirt roads, Im fine with them, but your mileage may vary and depends on setup factors also.

personally I have used straight bars, and my wrists dont like it. Added bar ends which helped, but then put on slight risers with a slight angled back hand position, and that was better. Still must have bar ends to change up hand position or else hands in same position is a bad recipe for wrists, plain and simple. This is why drop bars are great.

have a pair of jones bars but have only ridden a bit on them, so cant speak for my experience inday after day riding.

and to come back to this point, you have to try this stuff yourself, what works for one person wont for another.

straight or riser and slightly angles back mtb bars are cheap to buy and try out, even if you buysome cheapand heavy ones and ride a lot on them and see.

also, ergo grips and bar ends make a hell of a diff for hand comfort due to spreading weight distribution over your palm better. Snowshoe vs highheel analogy here.
Old 12-28-18, 03:51 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
This article on handlebars at sheldonbrown.com is a excellent discussion of different designs and things to be aware of when changing them.
Old 01-12-19, 08:04 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

I will start by saying I haven't yet done what most folks consider touring. I have done multi day supported trips and unloaded back to back day long rides in varied terrain. With that out of the way, I will start by saying that wide bars on mountain bikes are just not necessary for the way most of us ride. It seems like my bars back when I was racing were just over 600mm. I never hungered for greater control and never felt they were a hindrance to finesse. That's racing mountain bikes. I am assuming you have a more sedate pace in mind for your bikepacking. Given that, my belief is that you'll do fine with narrower flat bars. Back when I was racing, almost everyone had bar ends. That has obviously fallen out of favor, but that doesn't mean they don't work. They work very well. When I built my touring bike, I went with flats and bar ends. On longer rides they have proven very comfortable. I have an extra set of rims for this bike. They'll end up with tires more suitable for off roading.

Old 01-12-19, 01:40 PM
BlarneyHammer

Paul, that looks like an awesome ride! If I were to start all over building out a road touring bike, I'd want something very similar.

For my road touring bike, I use wider-than-normal bullhorns (48 cm). It's basically like wide drop bars, but with flats and hoods only, no drops. Narrow flats + bar ends would accomplish almost the same thing.

I've done some bikepacking before, with flat bars that were (I think) 56 cm across. I found that too narrow for that purpose. Again, I'm not a good mountain biker, so I often felt like I needed better control. Also, I wished I could move my hands around a little more. Maybe simply using wider (~65 cm?) flat bars will make me feel better, both in terms of control and comfort. And with wider bars, you could potentially use longer grips and simply move your hands side-to-side a little bit.

I've also considered getting some bar ends and putting them inside the grips, comparable to the front extensions on the Velo Orange Crazy Bar.
Old 01-13-19, 07:15 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
You might find that the bar ends won't go around some of the bends in your bars. I have done exactly what you are talking about, but the bends in my bars were very subtle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.