Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Worst "Loss" While Riding?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's Your Worst "Loss" While Riding?

Old 09-24-19, 04:05 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
The integrity of my facial bones.
Old 09-24-19, 05:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
First, I lost a camera with picture of me on a 3 day bike packing trip in Colorado.
Wow! Another memory jog. I dropped my first ever digital camera off a bridge into the bottom of the Delaware River. I loved that camera, and it was a Christmas present.
Old 09-24-19, 07:12 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I lost two Cygolite Hotshot tail lights in less than a year: one when I landed my bike in a ditch, and the second on a bumpy minimum maintenance road. I was with the same guys both times, so I blame them

I also dropped a water bottle somewhere out in rural Iowa.
Old 09-24-19, 07:16 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Only thing I ever lost on a ride was the battery cover to one of my lights on a rest stop, when I replaced the batteries. Looked all over for it, just a flat piece of plastic. Finally found it down in the grass. Usually I put it in a pocket or somewhere secure if I'm replacing batteries, but I think that time I had a brain fart and just placed it on the seat. I was pretty lucky to find it again.
Old 09-24-19, 07:53 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
After reading this thread, I've been lucky. I lost a spare tube a few years back when I forgot to zip my saddle bag. I did leave a nice floor pump at a cabin I was staying at near a rail trail. That was worse than losing the tube.
Old 09-24-19, 07:57 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
ROM after I crashed, broke my neck and had C1 & C2 fused. Does that count?
Old 09-24-19, 08:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
The worse loss I ever saw was the expensive set of sports glasses sitting at the bottom of a port-a-potty. If the owner wasn't going diving for them, I sure wasn't going to!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-24-19, 08:06 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Was out with my husband over the weekend on rented bikes. We have saddle bags on our own bikes, but there were no bags of any kind on the rented ones. I reluctantly let him put his wallet and phone in my jersey pocket since he had no pockets. We took a ferry out to an island where there was a bike trail. At the halfway point, we stop to buy more water and I realize I don't have his wallet. We set back to retrace our steps, stopping at all the same places we stopped on the way out. No wallet. Get back to the ferry and ask and they said they thought someone did find a wallet. When we check at the office on the other side, the girl knew nothing about it, but fortunately, the other person did. It was his. Later that night, he noticed he actually had a Facebook message from the ferry employee who found it. If we had seen that, the return trip would have been a lot less stressful!

He wasn't even mad at me. He knew it was unfair to make me carry all his stuff because he refuses to wear the bike jersey with pockets that I bought him because it "makes him look fat". This was the 4th time he has lost that wallet on a bike ride and he has had it returned intact every time. Twice he left it on the roof of my car when filling up with gas on the way to the trail. Once it was still there when we stopped again and the other time it was turned in to the local police. Another time he left it in a coffee shop. That is why I wanted him to have pockets.
Old 09-24-19, 08:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Once started a double-century ride before sunup with my sunglasses stashed in an overstuffed jersey pocket. An hour or two later, when the sun got higher, I reached back and discovered that the sunglasses had fallen out somewhere.

I didn't mind losing an expensive pair of shades...But after riding 200 miles on a warm sunny day without 'em, my eyes were pretty dry and bleary. It didn't help that the avg speed was 20 mph, so wind was an issue, too.
Old 09-24-19, 08:34 AM
indyfabz

Totally forgot about the time I left my CamelBak hanging on a fence post after I got off a ferry in WA. Rode about 3 miles before realizing it. Fortunately, it was still there when I went back for it.
Old 09-24-19, 09:33 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Last year on the Dorian Smith trail south of Banff. I helped my son make an adjustment and also adjusted my seat tension with my Fix-It Stix. I put them back in my baggie shorts and we went on our way. A hour or so later, I discovered that I had not zipped up the pocket and they had fallen out.

2 years ago when I was getting ready to ride the Tour Divide as an ITT, I had my piles of "Take" and "No Take" out on the kitchen table. My wife spotted the Fix-It Stix and asked why they were in the "Take" pile. She had bought me many different things over the years that she thought I could use. I told her that they were a "Must Have" tool. She was so thrilled that she had gotten me something useful. Then I went and lost them. I was heart broken due to the sentimental value.
Old 09-24-19, 09:35 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
After reading this thread, I've been lucky. I lost a spare tube a few years back when I forgot to zip my saddle bag. I did leave a nice floor pump at a cabin I was staying at near a rail trail. That was worse than losing the tube.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wow! Another memory jog...
I left a nice floor pump in a hotel in Philadephia.
Old 09-24-19, 12:16 PM
jeffpoulin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Not a loss, but a near loss.

One time while riding with the sunset behind me, I noticed my own shadow. I bunny hopped over a speed bump and saw a strange shape separate from my shadow for a brief second. I rode about 50 more yards and since I couldn't figure out what it could be, decided to stop, turn around, and check it out. I'm glad I did! On the ground was my wallet, house keys, and access badge at work. I had somehow left my trunk bag side pocket unzipped and the contents came flying out when I hopped the speed bump. Fortunately, I was able to recover everything.
Old 09-24-19, 12:52 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I left a nice floor pump in a hotel in Philadephia.
A route support driver for a LiveStrong ride stole my floor pump. .I was driving SAG for our club's century. LS decided to have its local ride on the same day. The routes crossed at a dangerous, uncontrolled intersection. I was there trying to help with traffic control. The LS lady who had pulled up to the intersection did not have a pump, so I ended up helping one of their riders. Accidentally drove away and left the pump in the grass. Realized my mistake and was back in under 10 min. The LS lady was gone and so was my pump. Woman sitting on her porch told me the LS lady had taken it.
Old 09-24-19, 01:09 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I had a nice rain jacket that I put in my ortlieb saddle bag. If you don't close that right, it just opens right back up. Silly fastening system. Unfortunately, someone in the crowd lining the street thought they needed my jacket more than me. Fortunately, the weather was fine for the rest of the day and a half of the ride, so it wasn't an immediate problem. I only buy cheap rain jackets nowadays

I also lost a 10mm wrench because of that bag. Of course, 10mm wrenches are all temporary, it's the wrench that is the most difficult to find, so they must walk off on their own
Old 09-24-19, 02:30 PM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Been riding for many years, so may be forgetting something. Do recall this, tho'.

Planet Bike Superflash tail light. Realized it was gone when I got to work. No time to go back looking for it. On the way home, didn't see it. Some days later, found its remains in the flange trough at a road/railroad crossing. Some recognizable parts were left, but not much.
Old 09-25-19, 07:07 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by duffer1960
Been riding for many years, so may be forgetting something. Do recall this, tho'.

Planet Bike Superflash tail light. Realized it was gone when I got to work. No time to go back looking for it. On the way home, didn't see it. Some days later, found its remains in the flange trough at a road/railroad crossing. Some recognizable parts were left, but not much.
This is why I have my model of Niterider Tail light on my Amazon wish list ready to go. I had a tail light dislodge from the mount while riding a few years ago. I heard it tumbling on the pavement, so I went back to get it. After that, it worked for the rest of the ride, but it was scarred up pretty bad and wouldn't charge. Lucky for me it was only $35.
Old 09-25-19, 07:22 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Keys, twice. Once I retraced later and found them, this last time there was no trace of them. I broke my own rule and it cost me about $80 loss between the gate fob, mailbox and apartment key. The rule is, I hear the slightest rustle that isn't from something I saw coming, stop and check.
Old 09-25-19, 07:25 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The worse loss I ever saw was the expensive set of sports glasses sitting at the bottom of a port-a-potty. If the owner wasn't going diving for them, I sure wasn't going to!
Reminds me of the joke about two guys at the urinal. One guy accidentally dropped a couple of quarters in the urinal. So he then pulled out a $20 bill, a credit card, his driver's license, and his phone, then threw them into the urinal as well. The other guy asked, "Why did you do that?" To which the first guy replied, "You think I'm just going to go in there for 50 cents?"
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-25-19, 07:27 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Was out with my husband over the weekend on rented bikes. We have saddle bags on our own bikes, but there were no bags of any kind on the rented ones. I reluctantly let him put his wallet and phone in my jersey pocket since he had no pockets. We took a ferry out to an island where there was a bike trail. At the halfway point, we stop to buy more water and I realize I don't have his wallet. We set back to retrace our steps, stopping at all the same places we stopped on the way out. No wallet. Get back to the ferry and ask and they said they thought someone did find a wallet. When we check at the office on the other side, the girl knew nothing about it, but fortunately, the other person did. It was his. Later that night, he noticed he actually had a Facebook message from the ferry employee who found it. If we had seen that, the return trip would have been a lot less stressful!

He wasn't even mad at me. He knew it was unfair to make me carry all his stuff because he refuses to wear the bike jersey with pockets that I bought him because it "makes him look fat". This was the 4th time he has lost that wallet on a bike ride and he has had it returned intact every time. Twice he left it on the roof of my car when filling up with gas on the way to the trail. Once it was still there when we stopped again and the other time it was turned in to the local police. Another time he left it in a coffee shop. That is why I wanted him to have pockets.
One of these days your husband's luck is going to run out. But he sounds like my wife and her keys. I'm just thankful her head is attached.
Old 09-25-19, 07:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by duffer1960

Planet Bike Superflash tail light. Realized it was gone when I got to work. No time to go back looking for it. On the way home, didn't see it.

Some days later, found its remains in the flange trough at a road/railroad crossing. Some recognizable parts were left, but not much.
I too have lost those rear blinkies.
Originally Posted by e0richt
I have a seatpost flasher... so I actually have a trunk bag that has a little strap in the back to hold a flasher.

what I did was to take the flasher off of the seatpost holder, stick the seatpost holder through the tab so that the part that holds the flasher was above the strap and the seatpost attachment was below the tab... attach the flasher. it works fine.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
This is what I do. I did not notice that strap for a few years, until I noted the strap promoted as a feature of a different trunk bag.

I wrap a rubber band around the end of the clip below the strap to keep the light form bouncing off the strap. I also do wear a blinkie on my helmet.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 09-25-19, 07:33 AM
indyfabz

I lost a race of sorts during my group cross country trip. Our original leader was a buffoon and not the strongest riders. One day in Montana we had about 20 miles left to the campground. Leader took off from a town after we had had a second breakfast. He said something like "See you there." Three of us were determined to beat him the campground, but one guy needed to use the rest room before we started riding. We finally took off maybe 10 min. behind him. There was an incredibly strong tailwind. So strong that I managed to sustain 32.5 mph for several miles on a fully loaded bike. Finally had to drop back to 28 mph. Another chaser who had larger gears flew past me like I was standing still. In the end though, we never caught him. The guy with the bigger gears came within about 30 seconds. I was about 1 minute behind. Our leader was smug about the whole thing so we had to remind him that he got about a 10 min. head start. The icing on the cake was that he was clearly hurting from his effort to beat us.
Old 09-30-19, 11:17 AM
redfishnc

Bikes: Univega Viva Tech 1050, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Haro Extreme

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Bianchi Grizzly. Live on dead end street with lots of neighbors. Man came on porch, cut light duty locking cable and rode off. Neighbor saw him, older grey headed guy obviously with an appreciation for nice old Bianchi's.
Old 09-30-19, 11:17 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
On a bike tour, I changed plans and headed for the mountains. I found a wool hat beside the road, just as I needed it for camp comfort.
Leaving a meeting in the city, I found myself at a stop light beside a friend in a car. I challenged him to a race, expecting to beat him across the intersection. I timed the light carefully and jumped on the pedal. I then found myself standing on the pavement with a pedal clipped to my shoe. The TA crank had a fatigue crack.
Old 09-30-19, 11:39 AM
ScottHul

Bikes: Lotus Prestige, '90s Specialized Rockhopper, Trek FX3, and a Priority Continuum Onyx for my daily commuter.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far only a couple week old Flare R rear light. Lost it somewhere on a rail trail near me. I hope that someone found it and is getting some use out of it. Luckily I won a set Cycliq lights shortly after that so I wasn't without for very long at all. Lesson learned. Always leash stuff that can fall off!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.