Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old Dura Ace Freewheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old Dura Ace Freewheel

Old 10-19-19, 08:39 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
Old Dura Ace Freewheel

I was loooking through some used freewheels yesterday and noticed 2 I hadn't seen before. The first was a Dura Ace and the second was Shimano 600. They both pre date the hyperglides.

My question, Are they any better than the standard Shimano freewheels of that era and if so how?

In this case I went with a 7 speed Suntour unit, the one with 4 notches for the removal tool . This unit was the same height as a 6 speed freewheel , A compact version with smaller spacing?

It fits in the 126mm Dropouts of the bike I am fixing without having to stretch the stays apart.
Old 10-19-19, 08:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
In this case I went with a 7 speed Suntour unit, the one with 4 notches for the removal tool . This unit was the same height as a 6 speed freewheel , A compact version with smaller spacing?

It fits in the 126mm Dropouts of the bike I am fixing without having to stretch the stays apart.
To the best of my knowledge, 7-speed was always "compact", only slightly wider than regular 6-speed. Great choice for 126mm bikes -- I have 3 of them set up that way.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-19-19, 08:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I've come to dislike freewheels with the notches for removal tools. I probably still have a couple around somewhere.

Make sure you clamp the tool down in the quick release tightly before trying to remove.
Old 10-19-19, 09:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Dura Ace was the "best" level of manufacturing that Shimano offered. The best materials, most precise and accurate fabrication and nicest finish. So that DA freewheel might have longer lasting bearings and/or cogs, might weigh a tad less for the same cog range and might be smoother in function. "might" because the differences are not major ones and steel still wears over time.

The 600 (now Ultegra) level uses many of the design elements that DA does but at a lower cost then DA is. Still regarded as a better then average part. Andy
Old 10-19-19, 09:28 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've come to dislike freewheels with the notches for removal tools. I probably still have a couple around somewhere.

Make sure you clamp the tool down in the quick release tightly before trying to remove.
Once the FW moves, it gets too tight in a hurry. You end up taking a vise grip to the skewer nut to get it off.
Just take the slop out and concentrate on keeping your rotating force on the proper plane and centered.

I'm not a fan of the 2/4 prong tools either, but you have to do what you have to do.
I won't put those FW's on a bike I expect to see again.
Old 10-19-19, 10:17 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
I actually compared 3 seven speed freewheels to a six speed. Two of them , chinese hyperglide copies , were about 2-3 mm wider. The Suntour 7 speed was virtually the same width.
Old 10-20-19, 05:59 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I agree. I use the skewer (leaving it a tiny bit loose) to make sure the tool doesn't slip out and then put the tool in a vise. It's a lot easier to the use the wheel as a lever as opposed to a wrench. Once it breaks, loosen the skewer so it doesn't get jammed on the wheel.
Old 10-20-19, 07:51 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Dura-Ace freewheels, IMHO, are among the best ever made. My favorites are the later models with the Uniglide tooth profile and splined remover tool. Earlier Dura-Ace freewheels were mechanically excellent, but had standard tooth profiles that didn't shift as easily as the Uniglide teeth. The early freewheels also used a two-prong remover (compatible with the Regina/Everest/etc. two prong standard) that is not as sturdy as the later splined remover.