Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Synchronize GPS and cyclocomputer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 02:37 PM
Arcadian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a technical question I've been unable to find an answer for Online. My Garmin Foretrex GPS shows slightly higher mileage than my Cateye cycling computer. I have the Cateye circumference chart available, but I don't know if I need to increase or decrease the circumference to synchronize.
Old 10-20-19, 02:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
The GPS numbers often varies slightly from a wheel computer, or even from one GPS system to another, even on the same device.

Get a long tape measure and lay it out on a flat spot of your driveway or walkway.

Then start with your valve down (or a chalk mark on the tire), and roll out 1 or 2 wheel revolutions and measure. I usually like to try to walk the bike with some weight on it. Convert to centimeters or millimeters if necessary.

I'd go by your actual walkout measurement rather than the GPS.
Old 10-20-19, 03:19 PM
Arcadian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you CliffordK, I already knew how to do that. What I haven't been able to figure out is how to sync the gps and computer when one shows a greater mileage. Please note original question.
Old 10-20-19, 03:24 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
I wouldn’t sweat this as well. GPS distance tracks are typically a bit shorter then a calibrated cycle computer. The nature of the track being recorded is that theres a location point recorded about every second. If you ride a route that has turns, the GPS cannot record every foot of the route, thus comes up short. Might be 1/2 mile in 100, might be a bit more. If there’s a lot of tree coverage, the signal can suffer dropouts as well. This is the reason a lot of GPS users add a speed sensor, especially if mt, biking, riding in wooded areas, etc... makes for a more accurate track.

Only solution outside a speed sensor would be to modify the cycle computer wheel diameter setting until they match.
Old 10-20-19, 03:36 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
If the distance on the GPS is larger than the cycling computer, then increase the circumference on the cycling computer. To be "exact', rather than guessing how much to change it, calculate the difference in distance between the 2 units, then divide this by the trip distance on the either unit (wont really matter). This gives you the percent difference. Then multiply this by the current circumference in the computer. Than add (or subtract) this value to the current circumference in the computer. Of course, the next ride, they probably wont agree.
Old 10-20-19, 03:38 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I'll answer the question. Your cyclometer doesn't measure distance, it measures revolutions of the wheel, right? And one revolution gives you one circumference of distance. That is, the cylometer just multiplies revolutions times the circumference. If you take the GPS as gospel truth, and your cyclometer registers LESS distance, you need to increase your circumference on the computer. If the cyclometer registers MORE distance than the GPS, you need to decrease the circumference on the computer.

Clifford K gave you one way to get a more accurate circumference out of the Cyclocomputer. I'd advocate a slightly different one, because the circumference is slightly different when you are actually on the bike and riding over a real road with the wheels bearing a rider. Find someplace you can measure out a very accurate mile (from maps, mile markers, or perhaps the distance between 7 and 8 mile road). Then just set a new circumference as the product of the old circumference and the actual (map) distance, divided by the distance indicated by the Cyclocomputer.

For right now, if you want GPS and your Cyclocomputer to match, with the computer showing a smaller than GPS distance, you should increase your circumference. Use the current circumference times the GPS distance divided by the Cateye measurement. Then things should agree a little better. No guarantee that they will be correct, but if they're wrong at least they'll be consistently wrong.
Old 10-20-19, 03:46 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
They'll never be exactly the same on every ride, but keeping track of this will help you get them acceptably close.

New Circumference = Current Circumference * (GPS Distance/Computer Distance)
Old 10-20-19, 04:05 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Neither GPS nor cycle computers measure distance, they calculate it by very different methods. And since the methodologies are different it will be impossible to synchronize them in any meaningful way.

The obvious question is: which is closer to truth? but most people strenuously avoid truth. HTH
Old 10-20-19, 04:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
[QUOTE=AnkleWork;21172108]Neither GPS nor cycle computers measure distance, they calculate it by very different methods. And since the methodologies are different it will be impossible to synchronize them in any meaningful way.

The obvious question is: which is closer to truth? but most people strenuously avoid truth. HTH[/QUOTE]

And ain't that the truth! Andy
Old 10-20-19, 05:54 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
A Man with One Watch Knows What Time It Is; a Man with Two Watches Is Never Quite Sure.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-20-19, 10:28 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
A Man with One Watch Knows What Time It Is; a Man with Two Watches Is Never Quite Sure.
I recall designing resilient engineering systems. We'd use either one really reliable sensor or three pretty reliable sensors.
Old 10-21-19, 07:17 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
When I rode with both a Cat-Eye cyclometer and a Garmin GPS watch I noticed in town riding with a lot of turns and stops, the GPS read slightly less than the cyclometer for distance. Once out of the congestion and onto long uninterrupted stretches, the GPS read further than the cyclometer. The differences were small (less than 1%) but predictable.

As noted, the distances are measured using different methods and can't be expected to be identical. Unless you are doing land surveying or have to locate the exact spot the treasure is buried, the difference is insignificant.
Old 10-21-19, 08:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Only solution outside a speed sensor would be to modify the cycle computer wheel diameter setting until they match.
This will get you close (or closer), perhaps. But it's unlikely even an exact fix on one ride will carry over to the next. Fix 0.5% low, next ride will be 0.1% high. Best solution is to get them "close enough" and then change your expectations so "that close" is acceptable.
Old 10-22-19, 12:04 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Here's an excellent exercise for the OP:
Mount two "identical" cycle computers next to each other, one reading from the front wheel and one reading from the rear. Calibrate and synchronize them the best you can then ride and observe. Prepare for insanity.
Clue: neither will report the actual distance traveled by the bike. One will read high and one will read low.
Old 10-22-19, 12:07 PM
Arcadian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"For right now, if you want GPS and your Cyclocomputer to match, with the computer showing a smaller than GPS distance, you should increase your circumference."

This was the information I requested, and the only information I needed. Using it, I sync'd my Garmin and Cateye so they varied less than .1 mile on my 25 mile ride today.
Old 10-22-19, 01:49 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by Arcadian
I sync'd my Garmin and Cateye so they varied less than .1 mile on my 25 mile ride today.
That's over 500 feet! That would drive me a bit crazy.

Old 10-22-19, 02:02 PM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
That's over 500 feet! That would drive me a bit crazy.
Off by a factor of 10, more like 53 feet. It'll still drive you crazy if you let it.
Old 10-22-19, 02:04 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Arcadian
I have a technical question I've been unable to find an answer for Online. My Garmin Foretrex GPS shows slightly higher mileage than my Cateye cycling computer. I have the Cateye circumference chart available, but I don't know if I need to increase or decrease the circumference to synchronize.
GPS computers and wheel-circumference computers measure two rather different trajectories and therefore two different distances. They are not supposed to be synchronized. Any attempts to synchronize them will fail one way or another.
Old 10-22-19, 02:06 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Off by a factor of 10, more like 53 feet. It'll still drive you crazy if you let it.
0.1 mile x 5280 feet/mile is... ?

Granted, the total error is about 0.4% between different sensors.

PS One of my Profs went to the Swedish Royal Academy as an undergrad. One perquisite is that you got to listen to the Nobel Laureate lectures. He was there for Richard Feynman's lecture. Feynman was writing out equations on a chalk board for the assembled dignitaries when he stopped and walked off the stage. About 30 seconds later, he walked back onto stage and wrote down a number. He then turned to the audience.
"No human", he said, "should do units conversion in public".

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-22-19 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 02:08 PM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
0.1 mile x 5280 feet/mile is... ?

Granted, that's about 0.4% difference.
Yup, you're right. I was confusing 1% from higher up the thread.
Old 10-22-19, 02:11 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by AndreyT
GPS computers and wheel-circumference computers measure two rather different trajectories and therefore two different distances. They are not supposed to be synchronized. Any attempts to synchronize them will fail one way or another.
Yup And there's a difference in fractal dimensionality too.
Old 10-22-19, 05:46 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
GPS measures along the ground, so to get identical distances,

you need to bypass bridges, fording all rivers, crossing freeways, and avoid tunnels by going over what it tunnels through.

It'll be worth it, 'tho!
Old 10-22-19, 05:55 PM
AndreyT

Originally Posted by woodcraft
GPS measures along the ground, so to get identical distances,
you need to bypass bridges, fording all rivers, crossing freeways, and avoid tunnels by going over what it tunnels through.
That's not true. GPS mesaures the exact 3D trajectory to the best of its ability. It doesn't measure "along the ground". It does not know (and doesn't need to know) where the "ground" is.

However, GPS always heavily "smooths out" any direction changes in the trajectory, because it does not have enough precision to tell the real changes in direction from positioning imprecisions inherent in the system (i.e noise). If you ride your bike in a zig-zagging trajectory from point A to point B, the wheel-magnet computer will meticulously measure the length of the whole zig-zag, while the GPS computer will most likely assume that you rode in a straight line from A to B. The difference in the measured distance will be drastic.
Old 10-22-19, 06:31 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
That's not true. GPS mesaures the exact 3D trajectory to the best of its ability. It doesn't measure "along the ground". It does not know (and doesn't need to know) where the "ground" is.

However, GPS always heavily "smooths out" any direction changes in the trajectory, because it does not have enough precision to tell the real changes in direction from positioning imprecisions inherent in the system (i.e noise). If you ride your bike in a zig-zagging trajectory from point A to point B, the wheel-magnet computer will meticulously measure the length of the whole zig-zag, while the GPS computer will most likely assume that you rode in a straight line from A to B. The difference in the measured distance will be drastic.

I live near San Francisco. If I plot a route with ridewithgps, it shows the elevation across the Golden Gate bridge as 0 feet.

At least it doesn't plot the ground under the water- that would be tough. I also see negative elevations on occasion.
Old 10-22-19, 06:52 PM
AndreyT

Originally Posted by woodcraft
I live near San Francisco. If I plot a route with ridewithgps, it shows the elevation across the Golden Gate bridge as 0 feet.
That's strange. I rode over Golden Gate using my Garmin Edge computers (510 or 830) as well as using just my phone to record the ride in Strava. In all cases the elevation of the bridge was recorded properly. One could argue that the Edges used their barometric sensors to determine the elevation. But the phone did not have such sensor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.